Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#27642 - 02/14/05 12:46 PM Re: Crossover scam
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel:
Set the center on "small". Remove the RCA cable to the center's power amp input so that you can use an RTA to look at just the bass from the sub. Change crossover freqs for the center and let us know graph changes. I'll bet not!
I'll bet not too. The centre channel info below its crossover point is re-directed to the front Left & Right channels to keep the critical front soundstage coherent. This way, if you have a very small centre speaker and are forced to use a relatively high crossover point, the filtered information will phantom image in the centre. I've never seen a bass management scheme that sends centre content directly to the sub.

Best,
Sanjay

#27643 - 02/14/05 12:54 PM Re: Crossover scam
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
--
---- Mr.Soundhound - Please - In your lab - play pink noise through the center channel. Set the center on "small". Remove the RCA cable to the center's power amp input so that you can use an RTA to look at just the bass from the sub. Change crossover freqs for the center and let us know graph changes. I'll bet not!
Please clarify just exactly what you are talking about. The test you are talking about does not make any sense. frown

#27644 - 02/14/05 12:59 PM Re: Crossover scam
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
I've never seen a bass management scheme that sends centre content directly to the sub.
Thanks for spotting that, Sanjay. I hadn't ever thought about it that way, but that makes very good sense. From where I'm sitting, it appears that you have identified the reason for Joel's findings.

#27645 - 02/14/05 01:44 PM Re: Crossover scam
JulioCat Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chilpancingo, Gro. Mexico
Quote:
JT Clark - You are 100% correct about the accusatory tone and I do apologize to all readers. I only joined the forum for that one issue - to see if others know about it and what they feel about it.
Apologizes accepted, but wouldn't be better if you first explain us what you did to came to that conclusion, because from reading your first post you looks like a rocky guy in home theater who don't read the manual and doesn't know anithing about how lowpass signlas are handle.

Latter we know about your RTA and the test you run, the fighting and everything else.

#27646 - 02/14/05 02:03 PM Re: Crossover scam
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
Quote:
[b]Set the center on "small". Remove the RCA cable to the center's power amp input so that you can use an RTA to look at just the bass from the sub. Change crossover freqs for the center and let us know graph changes. I'll bet not!
I'll bet not too. The centre channel info below its crossover point is re-directed to the front Left & Right channels to keep the critical front soundstage coherent. This way, if you have a very small centre speaker and are forced to use a relatively high crossover point, the filtered information will phantom image in the centre. I've never seen a bass management scheme that sends centre content directly to the sub.

Best,
Sanjay [/b]
That's one thing that hit me for my post last night. Also, if there was no sub the LB signal from the center would be routed to the mains. Why not always just send it to the mains first and then have the sub play what the mains can't?

#27647 - 02/14/05 05:33 PM Re: Crossover scam
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by JT Clark:
Why not always just send it to the mains first and then have the sub play what the mains can't?
I believe that's how the centre channel is always handled. What the centre speaker can't reproduce, goes to the mains. What the mains can't reproduce, goes to the sub. The idea is to keep as much of the centre channel info in the front soundstage as possible before routing anything to the subwoofer.

Best,
Sanjay

#27648 - 02/14/05 06:46 PM Re: Crossover scam
Joel Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Fishkill, NY
That make perfect sence - except for one thing...
The 950 doesn't behave that way!

I set my center to "small" and my mains to "large".

I used the Avia disk to play W/B pink noise in the center channel.

I disconnected the RCA plug going to the amp for the center channel so that all I heard was bass.
I then powerd off my sub and heard nothing. No bass from the mains at all!

Perhaps some processors do this, but not this one!

----

#27649 - 02/14/05 11:34 PM Re: Crossover scam
Bandit Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: New Orleans, LA
If the overall sound level is lower than you prefer, set all speakers to "LARGE". If there is not enough bass, you should be able to use the internal setup to boost the bass levels??

Actually, I have my mains & CC set to "LARGE", this disables me from even setting a crossover level. My surrounds are set to small and Xover set to 80 Hz, and my LFE HIGH CUT>STD(120 Hz). I guess preamps are different than receivers because you can still set the crossover even when set to large as you have stated.

Joel, since bass sounds have a certain amount of directionality, it is best not to cut them, if possible. See if you can disable the Xover to your mains? Let them babies RIP!!! That's not "rest in peace", that's rock and roll.

One more test, instead of disconnecting the center, set it to "NO". The sound of the center channel should be output from the front speakers.

Oh, according my Sony manual, when you set your CC to "SMALL" to activate the bass redirection circutry, those bass frequencies are going to the subwoofer if you are using Dolby Pro Logic set at Normal. Still doesn't explain why the fronts are not getting bass.

Stay at it...We're all in this together>>>

#27650 - 02/14/05 11:35 PM Re: Crossover scam
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
>> The centre channel info below its crossover point is re-directed to the front Left & Right channels to keep the critical front soundstage coherent.

This is not how Scott explained it a long time ago. He said that the crossovers were crossovers: to the sub for each speaker (set). No redirection to the mains or anywhere else.

Joel may have found something, although I'm hoping it's how he tested. smile

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#27651 - 02/15/05 06:29 AM Re: Crossover scam
Joel Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Fishkill, NY
Bandit - The fact that you can still adjust the xover freqs for the cc and surrouds when they are set to "large" is just a design quirk - the value set just does nothing. (It's not a reciever/processer difference).

On the 950, setting to large will take the sub out of the picture completely for that channel so this may not be a good plan if want that lower bass extention.

I know that disabling the cc will cause redirection the the mains. However, there are reasons not to do this (not the least of which is that I paid a lot of money for my center speaker).

Keven C Brown -- Thanks.
And I hope so too - (but I don't think so!)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM