Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2753 - 09/06/02 01:52 AM New 1050 user: Some annoyances
SteveD Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello Fellow Outlaws:

I have just started using my new (to me) 1050 receiver and like the way it sounds and some of the features (volume control allows small changes etc.), but have concerns about some things:

1) Headphone use

I find it quite surprising that plugging in headphones disables the speaker outputs. I've only seen this behavior in the past in low end receivers. Most better models seem to have a speaker A/B & Effects off button which allow you to keep headphones attached to the receiver (I use high quality wireless headphone a lot).

It is annoying to have to keep plugging/unplugging the headphones from the receiver and it will ultimately lead to a problem with the headphone jack or the plug from the headphones.

2. Night mode

Can't be selected/deselected from the remote?!

3. Only one (digital) coax input

Bummer! I have several coax sources (HTPC, digital cable box, etc.). I guess I will have to invest in a coax->optical converter.

4. Remote

According to what I see posted here, the remote can lose its own code and then can't be reprogrammed with it?!

I guess that's it for now until I use the receiver a little more. I'm sure I will get some good use of the 1050 notwithstanding some of the gripes I've mentioned.

Steve

#2754 - 09/06/02 09:42 AM Re: New 1050 user: Some annoyances
charlie Offline
Desperado

My opinion after an extended period of use is that it's a nice, solid unit with a few odd personality disorders. I'm thinking as the Outlaws gain more experience and release more products the rough spots may disappear ir al least lessen.

#2755 - 09/06/02 11:29 AM Re: New 1050 user: Some annoyances
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
I just purchased my 1050 also and I too have found a few things I wish it had but I think I knew most of them using this group before I made my purchase. In fact this group played a large role in helping me decide to make the purchase. Fellow owners can be a real help. The 1050 isn't perfect but so far I am happy with my purchase. (owned only 6 days now)
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveD:
1) Headphone use...It is annoying to have to keep plugging/unplugging the headphones from the receiver and it will ultimately lead to a problem with the head phone jack or the plug from the headphones.

You may want to consider getting an external headphone amp. I don't know if there is one cheap enough to be worth it but perhaps you can find one. I actually like this feature of the outlaw especially since it automatically switches the mode to stereo when you plug in phones. However they could have had the button and switched the mode when you disabled the speakers so we both could have had what we wanted.
Quote:

2. Night mode
Can't be selected/de-selected from the remote?!

Can't help here. I wonder if a code exists for this via IR and simply wasn't mapped to the remote. The remote is very hackable so if there is you can program it. I would guess there is not since nobody ever posted it.
Quote:

3. Only one (digital) coax input

Can't help here either but you did know this before you bought it right. I actually had a similar issue I didn't notice that the receiver didn't have an optical out which I needed for my minidisc recorder but I can't say the information wasn't available to me.
Quote:

4. Remote
According to what I see posted here, the remote can lose its own code and then can't be reprogrammed with it?!

This is true if you follow the instructions for the 15-1994 remote to "reset to factory defaults". I used these instructions to add features missing for many on my components so I am very happy with the remote now. You simply must stay away from using the reset
code. You can backup the codes if you make a JP1 interface to your PC. I also read that Outlaw's support is very good about helping you if you should lose the codes from your remote.

[This message has been edited by desperado (edited September 06, 2002).]

#2756 - 09/06/02 06:22 PM Re: New 1050 user: Some annoyances
SteveD Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Charlie/Desperado:

Thanks guys, this forum is an excellent way to get to know the unit better.

I agree that the 1050 seems pretty reasonable and some of the quirks are just idiosyncricies which can be lived with, or nothing better was possible at this price point.

Desperado said

"You may want to consider getting an external headphone amp."

I don't really follow how getting a separate headphone amplifier would alleviate having to keep plugging and unplugging a connector in the headphone jack? Perhaps I am missing something? But it did give me an idea to use the tape outputs as inputs for the 'phones, although this would not work out well for the tape deck... The lack of a headphone jack on the 950 preamp is a major oversight IMHO.

"I wonder if a code exists for this via IR (Night mode) and simply wasn't mapped to the remote"

Does anyone know if this could be possible? That would be great!

"I didn't notice that the receiver didn't have an optical out which I needed for my minidisc recorder "

Arrgggh! I also have a minidisc recorder and didn't think about this before now?!

"You can backup the codes (to the remote) if you make a JP1 interface to your PC"

What is a JP1 PC interface? I assume from the context of the repsonse that this device captures IR from a remote and stores the codes on disk and then can re-transmit it somehow? I have an IR-man IR interface for my PC and it can capture IR data, but I am at a loss to see how it could be used to re-program the Outlaw remote.

Thanks, again folks

Steve

#2757 - 09/06/02 06:39 PM Re: New 1050 user: Some annoyances
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Quote:
Desperado said

"You may want to consider getting an external headphone amp."

I don't really follow how getting a separate headphone amplifier would alleviate having to keep plugging and unplugging a connector in the headphone jack? Perhaps I am missing something? But it did give me an idea to use the tape outputs as inputs for the 'phones, although this would not work out well for the tape deck... The lack of a headphone jack on the 950 preamp is a major oversight IMHO.

You can use a headphone amp inserted into your tape loop. Then you can keep the phones plugged in at all times. Most people using the 950 will also prefer a seperate headphone amp. I have rarely seen a preamp or reciver that can compete with even a relatively inexpensive headphone amp such as the Creek OBH-11. My only experience was with an Adcom GFP-565 preamp. It's headphone jack was equal to the Creek but nowhere near my McCormack MID, sonically that is.

#2758 - 09/06/02 07:15 PM Re: New 1050 user: Some annoyances
charlie Offline
Desperado

The JP1 interface is a cable (plans or cables available on the 'net) that plugs into the parallel port and the remote. Look inside the battery door.

Search yahoo for JP1 - there is a great discussion area there.

#2759 - 09/06/02 11:21 PM Re: New 1050 user: Some annoyances
SteveD Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Morphsci/Charlie!

This bulletin board is great!

Steve

#2760 - 09/07/02 10:16 AM Re: New 1050 user: Some annoyances
desperado Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hawaii
Quote:
"I didn't notice that the receiver didn't have an optical out which I needed for my minidisc recorder "

Arrgggh! I also have a minidisc recorder and didn't think about this before now?!

I found a simple solution for this one. Radio Shack has an optical toslink splitter that splits one toslink to two. So I now have my CD player optically connected to both my receiver and my minidisc. The splitter is $10 however you also need two more optical cables. I found two nice 3 ft cables for $15 each so throwing $40 at the problem solves it. The Part number for the splitter is 15-1585.

#2761 - 09/08/02 01:11 PM Re: New 1050 user: Some annoyances
SteveD Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Desperado, that's good news. I had not consdidered using an optical toslink splitter. Actually. I have never heard of this before so I am learning new "tricks" all the time.

Thanks, Steve

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts