Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#27483 - 01/29/05 09:34 AM Pardon My Ignorance...
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
I am brand new to "multi-channel" sound previously only having a 2 channel (stereo) rig.
I just set up my 950/7100/LFM-1 combo with Klipsch Heresy Mains and a center and surrounds (for the last week I have only listened in stereo mode)
Watched "Blackhawk Down" last night and enjoyed it but not "blown away" by it...but I have not yet set everything up as it should be yet.
My questions are:
Do you all listen to music in "multichannel?"
I listened today and then switched to "stereo bypass" and I like the sound better...perhaps because I am used to it?
When you put in a movie, do you find the sound is considerably lower than if you were just playing stereo music? Why is this?
Do you turn your sub up (louder) during movies than you do during music? I am still learning this as well...
Sorry for the "newbie" questions but you have to start sometime.
Thanks.
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#27484 - 01/29/05 10:31 AM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
I always listen to stereo music the way it was intended - in stereo. Decoding it with ProLogic compromises the original imaging, if that is important to you.

#27485 - 01/29/05 10:44 AM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montgomery, TX
I've always liked the bypass myself versus the multi-channel. It utilizes an analog signal versus a digital signal. It seems a little fuller and warmer to me. I also like the 5 channel digital better than the 7 channel or digital stereo mode. However, as I've read more in the forum and learned more about the 950 and felt more comfortable making adjustments to it, I've found that I can dramatically change the warmth of the digital modes by changing the crossover points.

#27486 - 01/29/05 12:02 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
cedman1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago
Silversport,

I've noticed the same with DVD movies as well. Actually I need to crank the 950 to approximately -29db versus -40dm to reach the same spl level on meter. I just attributed it to the media/material method recorded.

I would be interested in hearing the correct answer as well though.

#27487 - 01/29/05 12:40 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
Quote:
Originally posted by cedman1:
Silversport,

I've noticed the same with DVD movies as well. Actually I need to crank the 950 to approximately -29db versus -40dm to reach the same spl level on meter. I just attributed it to the media/material method recorded.

I would be interested in hearing the correct answer as well though.
same thing with my 1050,i too would say media recording.on the same thought i have cds that are recorded extremely high(some low) seems like i have to group them in my changer or i find myself scrambling for the volume knob or remote,whichever is closer.

#27488 - 01/29/05 01:26 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
For music, I've always found myself prefering stereo mode (either via digital input or using analog input and stereo bypass) for CD's - as soundhound says, it's the way it was intended. There is a measure of personal preference, there, of course, and some people may prefer Pro Logic II (or 5/7 Stereo even).

As for the difference in volume required for DVD versus CD or cable/satellite, there's a very simple reason for it. Per Jim Taylor\'s DVD FAQ , the audio level for DVD is lower and more consistent than other sources.

#27489 - 01/29/05 02:05 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
I like listening to music the way it was intended. CD's are in 2 channel, so I listen to them in stereo. DVD's are in multi-channel, so I listen to them in that form. Mostly in DD as I don't have DVD-Audio capability and there aren't as many DTS tracks.

My DVD movies are always quieter than music in ANY of the formats. That goes for both DVDs and CDs. It's just the way they're made. I really don't have much on both CD and DVD for the same music, just Blue Man Group. The DVD is louder, but I haven't bothered to check if that's because there are more channels being used (more energy bouncing through the air) at the same time or because it's been recorded louder. My guess is that they're similar. I think you have to have the same tracks by the same recorder/composer, otherwise you're introducing extra variables that can not be accounted for.

Spend the time to get the setup right. If done really wrong I could easily believe a stereo playback would sound better. There's less interference and fewer things in the wrong places at the wrong settings.

#27490 - 01/29/05 02:07 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
I'm a bit more flexible on the stereo vs. surround thing. However, I generally end up preferring stereo recordings reproduced in stereo. And it's very clear to me that DPL2 not only tinkers with the imaging, as Soundhound says, but it also dinks with the frequency response.

Even so, sometimes I enjoy the surround effect for some content.

Season to taste.

#27491 - 01/29/05 02:31 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
silversport Offline
Desperado

I am sure my mileage may vary but...I am thinking what I am experiencing is "normal"...the new normal!
Anyway, Yes! I prefer 2 channel stereo music in...2 channel...It was nice to hear a movie last night where I could actually HEAR the conversation...as you get older, you start to think...oh gawd now that's going too??? wink
Thanks all,
Bill

#27492 - 01/29/05 07:40 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
silversport:

I think something is wrong with your amp. I have the same pre and amp as you do but don’t have the problem you are referring to. You should’ve bought my amp when you had a chance.

Just kidding.

There’s a noticeable volume level difference between Star Wars I, II DVD and Lord of The Rings DVD. L.O.T.R. is louder. The same is true for some of my CDs too. I’d say it’s the source material.

#27493 - 01/30/05 03:55 AM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
silversport Offline
Desperado

Spiker:
You're right!!! smile I should have when you offered...I went 7100 to 755 to 7100...ahhh.
thanks for the feedback!
Bill

#27494 - 01/30/05 09:10 AM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
phogandive Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fitchburg, MA USA
Hi,
The main reason the DVD's are recorded at a 'lower' volume than CD's is to leave enough headroom for the louder special effects (gunshots, explosions, etc.). If the average volume were as loud as the CD, there would be very little extra left for these effects.

Peter

#27495 - 01/30/05 10:20 AM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
silversport Offline
Desperado

eggggselent!...thanks!
Bill

#27496 - 01/30/05 07:20 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by phogandive:
Hi,
The main reason the DVD's are recorded at a 'lower' volume than CD's is to leave enough headroom for the louder special effects (gunshots, explosions, etc.). If the average volume were as loud as the CD, there would be very little extra left for these effects.

Peter
That's a not a reason; it is a shame.

DVD got Gigabyte space; they should do better on it. That is, make average volume louder than CD (music, dialog) and boost special effect 10 DB louder than original cinema soundtrack. So, we can push our equipments to the limit.

It is disgrace to see my signal light can't easily reaches even 5.5V(17 dbu) position every time I play the DVD. Don't want buy those sucker anymore. CD still sounds much better. I think even my play-station games sound better than those wimpy DVDs.

#27497 - 01/30/05 10:14 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Turn the volume up. :rolleyes:

#27498 - 01/31/05 03:46 AM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

Serious speaking though , the source material’s signal level should always as high as possible (such as, your TV’s audio line out, CD player, DVD player, VCR...etc), prior to rest of the signal processing equipments, and the level control of the power-amplifier as low as practical for best signal to noise ratio. Gain boosting at later equipments is the last resort and should be used moderately.

For me, CD always has an excellent, strong signal level (easily hit 2 Vrms with SN ratio of 115 db, yet without any gain boosting). And that’s where DVD disk should improve.

#27499 - 01/31/05 12:47 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
In film mixing, it is standard practice to establsh "0" db reference level as -20dB below digital full scale. This equates to an average "target" volume for dialog of 85dB. The extra 20dB of headroom is for the needed dynamic range when things get loud. The peaks do indeed hit digital full scale, so the maximum level available from a film soundtrack is being taken full advantage of.

Trust me, you would not like the sound of films if they were compressed to the degree that CDs are, which in some cases have a dynamic range of only 5dB or so.

#27500 - 01/31/05 09:23 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Ha! And I was going to say that I usually have a difference of about 15 clicks of the dial between movies and music.

#27501 - 02/01/05 12:26 AM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
painttoad Offline
Desperado

that's good JT 'cause i remember 'digital volume' earlier where you could hear the 'click' from the remote volume control ,but i also remember the attenuator knob that actually had the detents!

which clicks you talkin' about? smile

#27502 - 02/01/05 09:36 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

One increment, like -16 to -15. At the moment I had forgotten if they were 1 db or not.

#27503 - 02/02/05 08:02 PM Re: Pardon My Ignorance...
painttoad Offline
Desperado

I POSTED EARLIER jt, kind of tongue n cheek,page wouldn't display,but it was about old fisher stuff that actually clicked when adjusting the volume(80' flashback)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts