Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#27327 - 01/13/05 09:52 AM Cable for Interconnects?
panic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Can I simply pick up a few packs of Monster RCA cable at best buy? Is Monster good enough? The reason is I have a lot of gift certificates to Best Buy and wouldn't have to spend cash...

#27328 - 01/13/05 10:38 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
The monster is more than good enough for audio use. Video cable is a bit more critical, but don't go overboard here either.

#27329 - 01/13/05 12:10 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Monster cable is certainly good enough. I personally find it to be over-priced and the connectors sometimes bind on my equipment. I find the connectors on the outlaw cables of better quality, easier to put on and remove and the cables are of comparable cost.

#27330 - 01/13/05 03:50 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
QQKLTB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
Hello all I haven't posted much on this website but I visit quite often. I'm the proud owner of Outlaws 950/770 combo, I'm currently using Video cables to transmit my DVD analog audio signal to the 950. These where the only cables I had on hand when my system arrive, could'nt wait to hear it and they seem to work well. Will there be a noticable improvement if I use audio cables instead?

#27331 - 01/13/05 06:49 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
i may be wrong but i think that the "normal" video cable will do a better job than a "normal" audio cable.
there is a LOT of opinions on the hype of cables,just scan the archives on this site.
when i bought alot of this system(used) i received several pairs of Straightwires level 3 reference interconnects(directional,ooohhhh!) and i have done alot of A/B comparisons and if i can even hear a difference it would never justify the cost of these cables if i had to buy them new!i've used cheap interconnects for years with no problems.if you have the option,take your cables down to the local stereo shop,ask if you can swap out the cables on their best system(if they have decent cables hooked up) and see if you can hear a difference.if you do, ask how much.the price might scare you.you won't hurt anything using video cables though.just try to keep interconnects away from power cords and speaker cables.

#27332 - 01/13/05 07:29 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
panic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the pointers. I find they are overpriced as well, but after buying the 7100 and 950 I pushed the budget enough, and if I can use these gift certificates and be fine that's the way to go.

#27333 - 01/13/05 08:37 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Video cable works very well for audio, but not really better than an audio-specific cable. I use RG-59 video coax for everything, audio and video. Video cable also will work well for digital audio connections.

#27334 - 01/13/05 09:05 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

is rg-59 for catv?i read somewhere that video cable is recommended for digital(vs. audio cables) unless you want to go buy a "digital" cable.i'm using straightwire "maestro" from transport to DIP to d/a and also read (i read alot) that a digital path is less likely to interference than analog path(is this true?)
i use tributaries video cables(they're long) for the run to my sub,sounds fine and pounds butt!

#27335 - 01/13/05 09:57 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

RG-6 is used for CATV cable, but RG-59 is used frequently for other video feeds. Digital audio cables in theory are almost immune to interferrence, but things like jitter can creep into less than good connections.

#27336 - 01/13/05 10:36 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

my MONARCHY AUDIO Digital Interface Processor is supposed to remove jitter as well as reclock the signal and it's a line driver also.the biggest improvement i've heard is streaming internet.

anybody ever use one of these?
it's a pretty cool little unit,just wish it was "normal" sized

#27337 - 01/13/05 11:29 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by panic:
Can I simply pick up a few packs of Monster RCA cable at best buy? Is Monster good enough? The reason is I have a lot of gift certificates to Best Buy and wouldn't have to spend cash...
they will be fine.

#27338 - 01/14/05 11:24 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

I am still using the Yellow-Red-white that kind of cheap cable for all my connection, which usually comes free as an accessory with AV equipment purchase; like DVD player, VCR, Play-Station...etc. They work flawlessly.

Do not ever believe in people claming that certain type of cable will make your system sounds better; it is just plain ridiculous. If you ever see a pair of audio cable sells more than $100 dollars, you know it has a problem.

#27339 - 01/14/05 12:49 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
Monsters are good cables, just over priced they will do fine. wink

#27340 - 01/14/05 09:01 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Next time you might want try posting in the Audio/Video Interconnects Discussion Center You may get more responces to your post.

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#27341 - 01/15/05 09:38 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you've got some Best Buy gift cards, you might also look at the Acoustic Research cables they carry - they tend to be less expensive than Monster, and I don't think that Monster is any better.

#27342 - 01/15/05 12:29 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
I agree with Gonk. The AR's are not that bad.

#27343 - 01/16/05 07:21 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Not that bad?

I think they are good, especially for the price.

#27344 - 01/18/05 09:51 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
panic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

i am heading to best buy tomorrow - will definitely check AR out.

thanks

#27345 - 01/19/05 06:11 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
panic Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I ended up getting acoustic research.

Can I used the leftover channel (had to buy 8 since they come in pairs) for a subwoofer - do you really need a special cable for a sub or is that a marketing ploy?

#27346 - 01/19/05 06:25 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
gonk Offline
Desperado

You can use the leftover for the sub, since it is the same analog preamp output as the other seven - the only thing "special" about a sub cable is length smile .

#27347 - 01/25/05 06:41 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Shell Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Boonsboro, MD, USA
Quote:
Do not ever believe in people claming that certain type of cable will make your system sounds better
I have to disagree. Cables can make a difference. There are two extremes, those that think you need thousand dollar cables to get the best sound, and those that say cables make no difference. The middle is probably where the truth is. You do not need to go over board, but I would not recommend using cheap stuff either.

Think of it this way, if you have a cheap cd player and swap out the cheap capacitors for better quality ones you will hear a difference. The same is true with cables. The quality of the medal (copper or silver) will affect the sound. Also a lower gage (thicker cable) will have less resistance if using long runs.

#27348 - 01/26/05 12:36 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

There is no advantage to using any expensive cable as the energy that copper can conduct vs. its heating effect and voltage drop is a matter of physics and anyone who claims otherwise is load of crap. I have seen endless A/B tests of almost every kind of cables. I have read glowing reviews full of meaningless adjectives telling me how great those cables are, in magazines strangely full of ads for the same cables; however, all have shown there is no difference. The cable’s price is it's own justification. There are people who want the most expensive (anything) available, and there's a healthy competition for those people's business.

The quality of cable is a function of the bandwidth of what is being carried on it and for how long. I confess that video cable is more critical than audio cable as its ability to carry high frequencies without attenuation is a requirement. However, we are only dealing with just composite, home-theater type, low-life signals here. Most anything with 75-Ohm impedance will do okay. It isn't a tough signal. It’s not as if you are sending Mega hertz or Gig hertz signal over a 300 feet long distance. There’s little or no difference in most cables above the "really cheap" variety. Some have better quality connectors and/or are less likely to fail, but that's an issue of construction quality not of the ability of the cable to carry the signal. I guarantee you that if you set up two identical systems on some kind of A/B switch and did not know which was which you would only guess it correctly 50% of the time. The difference is not audible in a conventional short-run home theater setup. I suggest you save up your money and spend it on some professional speakers, where the difference will be heard. Moreover, did you know that film and music recording studios use the same kind of cable I have mentioned in the previous post?

And as far as the speaker wires are concerned, some people brag about how much "clearer" the sound is. They are self-delusional. I've heard no improvement or difference. This is the same principal as those who hear MUCH greater clarity of a CD by taking a sharpie and drawing along the edge. You can convince people of anything. The only thing clearer here is their bank account!

#27349 - 01/26/05 04:19 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

For those people who really concerned about their cabling- use a balanced connection instead.

#27350 - 01/26/05 04:21 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
QQKLTB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
Sound Killer,
YOU SAID A MOUTH FULL!
I AGREE

#27351 - 01/26/05 10:50 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Shell Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Boonsboro, MD, USA
Quote:
There’s little or no difference in most cables above the "really cheap" variety.
SK, that is the same thing I said, only I consider accessory cable cheap. Maybe you don't? It also depends on your system. You will not discern a sound quality difference between cables on a low end system. Higher end systems use quality parts that should include your cable. Again I am not talking about real expensive cable just better quality then the accessory cable you have in your system.

Speaker wire is less of an issue in short runs. However, cables that connect your components are more of an issue.

#27352 - 01/26/05 01:00 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
gonk Offline
Desperado

For what it's worth, Shell, I read your original post as recommending against the little rinky-dink accessory cables that come with your VCR - the ones that look like they might almost work as dental floss.

#27353 - 01/26/05 01:32 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
Me too and I went just a bit upside of that for mine...for now wink
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#27354 - 01/26/05 03:19 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

http://groups.msn.com/audiocables
(once again click on pictures)
here are some cables i own,some i'm proud of(came with the system) some i'm not(bought for old pro-logic system)

this is more for visual aid for outlaws who don't have a clue.they are at both extremes,$3 for a patch cord/$200 for 2 interconnects.14/2 for .38 a foot/straightwire encore;$260 for 8ft pair.etc.etc.

if i had to go out and buy cables there is a whole lot of room in between.

the expensive ones sure look cool and people will say "holy sh--,look at those cables"(if in sight)guess it could be braggin' rights,if you are into that!don't know what i'm trying to say, but for what it's worth,i would NEVER pay the full price for "designer cables",but my hearing is about shot from compressors,paint booths,air tools/guns,concerts and many spl sessions in my truck(and others) i honestly cannot hear a difference!!

#27355 - 01/26/05 03:27 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

and i never have tried the sharpie on a cd, but i can sand and buff scratches out of a cd just like a paint job.uh-oh now i have to kill you all.LOL

#27356 - 01/26/05 08:18 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by painttoad:

the expensive ones sure look cool and people will say "holy sh--,look at those cables"(if in sight)guess it could be braggin' rights,if you are into that!don't know what i'm trying to say,
Put a mirror on the wall behind components and show it off! laugh
Don’t you want something out of spending your hard earned money?

#27357 - 01/26/05 09:32 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

ok me n spiker have it patented.

"HOME THEATER MIRRORS for the ultimate in home theater display,for what the screen does not show"

yada,yada,yada...anything else we can throw in for marketing?(we'll cut you in)

LOL,spiker, i'm still cuttin' up!

#27358 - 01/26/05 09:34 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

ooops,spoke too soon,i'm gonna put a camera back there and run PIP!

#27359 - 01/26/05 10:13 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
just what are the quality of your mirrors...I mean...what makes your mirrors better than the mirrors I can get anywhere???
wink
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#27360 - 01/26/05 10:32 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

oh no....LOL!!

uuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....because i say they are cool

we have put countless minutes of research in our products,and find that they have the most reflective properties on the market.there IS NOT a better home theater mirror currently on the market and with our team of professionals,we seriously doubt any one will come close in the years to come!yada,yada,yada(hope jerry doesn't sue!)

SCOTT:following a meeting with SPIKER we will be offering several versions of our product for beta testing.if you would just complete the application... laugh

#27361 - 01/27/05 01:14 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

seriously, this was fun but should have been in 'interconnect' forum if anywhere. i got a little carried away,all in fun,though!

#27362 - 01/27/05 01:13 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
rance Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston. MA
Ended up better than most cable discussions....

#27363 - 01/27/05 01:42 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
cedman1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago
Anyone in here using cable elevators to guard against muddy bass and distorted highs? If not how are you guarding your equipment and ears from the damaging "bruised electrons"?

#27364 - 01/27/05 01:52 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
If not how are you guarding your equipment and ears from the damaging "bruised electrons"?
All electrons must wear helmets, elbow pads, and knee pads before entering the house, all wiring is insulated on the inside with soft foam, and junction boxes and electrical panels have protective bumpers on all the sharp edges and corners. Even as fast as electrons run, our electrons rarely get bruised or banged up. We only had three electrons that had to get stitches last year. Of course, there's that one electron that kept getting drunk and jumping off the ceiling fan... Spent most of the year in traction after the third time he did that...

#27365 - 01/27/05 03:20 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cedman1:
Anyone in here using cable elevators to guard against muddy bass and distorted highs? If not how are you guarding your equipment and ears from the damaging "bruised electrons"?
I use old vacuum tubes to elevate my speaker wires. Gives me that "Open Toob" sound. smile

#27366 - 01/27/05 04:21 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
cedman1 Offline
Gunslinger

This list is great. You are all responsive and so willing to share your knowledge...off to try your recomendations.

:-)

#27367 - 01/27/05 05:15 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Lee44 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
This is a great thread smile

Personally I make my own analog audio cables using belden 1505f, RG59 in size, double braided copper shield, stranded center conductor for flexibility. Canare RCA ends. (coax $.28/ft, RCAs < $3ea) Throw in some Techflex if you want to get fancy)

I use different RG6s for video, digital audio, SAT and OTA feeds. Again Canare F's and RCAs.

I really like being able to make custom lengths. I offset the cost of the tooling by making cables for family and close friends.

I like the looks of the Outlaws lockers, if I had the $$'s to spend on cables, I'd be buying those. Wish I could find ends like those to fit my dies. smile

I've used ARs, Stinger (greens), not expensive and work great.

Good cables don't make your system sound good, they keep it from sounding bad.

Lee

#27368 - 01/28/05 12:07 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

nice aspect!
i like!

#27369 - 01/28/05 12:49 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

off to the tube.GONK,quit pickin' on me!that was me on the fan!i thought i was cool!and alot of people enjoyed that jump!

#27370 - 01/28/05 07:44 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Sorry, dude, you should have at least jumped toward the bed instead of the hardwood floor.

#27371 - 01/28/05 09:36 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

not the first time i bumped the head!(and it's concrete,i'm in the basement)

#27372 - 01/28/05 11:30 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

#27373 - 01/28/05 11:32 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

can't get the link to work,checked out google on "cable elevators" they seem to be pretty proud($160 for 8)
found a forum where they talk about using egg crates,without eggs,with eggs,soft boiled eggs....

#27374 - 01/28/05 12:06 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
morphsci Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charleston, IL, USA
Quote:
I actually used cable elevators that I made myself. The base and uprights were made from oak with some monofilament strung between two stainless steel angle brackets. I used this to keep my speaker cables off of the floor. It was not that I was worried about my electrons getting bruised but I was worried about the dampness from a poorly waterproofed and insulated concrete slab in the house i was renting at the time.

As far as all cables being equivalent, most of the arguements center around the fact that wire is wire and copper is copper. But for audio interconnects, video interconnects and digital connections you also cannot dismiss the quality of the connector. Almost every cable that has come free with a component I have purchased (and some quite expensive) has had what I considered poorly constructed connectors. This may be more important for video connections where many cheap connectors do not maintain a 75 Ohm impedance. I personally noticed this when hooking up a television to digital cable a few years back. The picture was very soft and fuzzy with a premade cable. When I replaced it with a home made cable with Canare true 75 Ohm connectors the picture became sharp. I then took the pre-made cable, removed the connectors, replaced them with Canares and low-and-behold I had a sharp picture. Whether this is as much a factor at audio frequencies as for video is up for debate but I personally like the secure feeling of using locking RCA's like the outlaw cables have.

#27375 - 01/28/05 02:16 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by silversport:
just what are the quality of your mirrors...I mean...what makes your mirrors better than the mirrors I can get anywhere???
wink
Bill
It’s the same type you put on your bedroom ceiling except it’s cut to the right proportion (secret) to work well with the back view of every home A/V components.

#27376 - 01/28/05 03:21 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
Lee44 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
For the truest fidelity without distortion it would have to be a front surface mirror made with the purest/highest quality silver mined and refined by virgins in the mountains of Nevada above 5,000 feet.

Sorry, couldn't help it,
Lee laugh

Oh, almost forgot: http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/tweaks/cablelifts.php

#27377 - 01/28/05 04:04 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Quote:
This list is great. You are all responsive and so willing to share your knowledge...off to try your recomendations.

:-)
jumping off the ceiling fan is not recommended,just entertaining

#27378 - 01/29/05 11:49 AM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
cedman1 Offline
Gunslinger

So what is the difference between a cable elevator vs. a cable lift? ...Just wondering.

#27379 - 01/29/05 12:49 PM Re: Cable for Interconnects?
painttoad Offline
Desperado

one's for guest electrons the other for employee electrons.

seriously,i don't know.had never heard of either till the other day.but i'm sure one cost more just because of the amount of letters in the name.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 86 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM