Hi all,

About 3 months ago I asked questions, etc for wiring advice. I have had my 950/770 setup in my new house since late October. After listening for two months, my thoughs / comparisons vs other equipment I've owned.

Prior good equipment
- Parasound AVC-2500 / HCA-2205A
- Sony DA7ES reciever (not great but good)

A) Outlaw vs. Parasound

1) 2 channel stereo:
a) Highs were more detailed on the Parasound.
b) Bass more emphasized in the Parasound, but not as well defined as the Outlaw.
c) Mid's slight preference towards the Outlaw.

overall: Both are great! Different tradeoffs for each. Shows how a well executed design holds its value over time.

2) Multi-channel processing of two channel sources. Parasound was pre DPL2,but their "music" mode was very good. None the less, DPL2 on the Outlaw is better! Better defined bass, sound stage better. lead goes to the Outlaw.

3) Dolby Digital EX
Parasound w/ added 6.1 rear processor. Both systems are excellent. Parasound still holds out well even though a 1999 design. Outlaw is as good as the Parasound - a real compliment given that the parasound was $6,000 plus new.

Overall about a wash, but the outlaw does more (DPL2, etc), has no hum, and can be bought for less money new than the parasound still sells for on the used market!

B) Outlaw vs. Sony receiver.

Sony was more flexible in all regards and carried all DPL updates as I bought it about 9 months ago. That said, the Outlaw is much better in all aspects compared to the sony. It wins in Stereo, DPL2, Dolby Digital, 6 channel direct too.

Not a fair comparison as the outlaw is a $2400 combo, and the sony was bought for $850. However, when the sony was new in 2002 it originally retailed for $3000.

c) Overall:

I am impressed with the Outlaw! The Parasound system was dated, but was still an excellent system compared to todays stuff. The Outlaw is as good, but without the audible hum that the Parasound had. The new an improved sound proceesing is also a plus!!!

To those thinking about making the plunge into the world of Outlaw but are hesitating on the 950 due to it's age, here is a couple thougs:

- A system is only as good as the sum of its parts. Having the absolute latest processor /w video upsampling is nice, but it is the whole presentation that makes the final analog sound to our speakers.
- The processor on the 950 is good and still holds up well with 2004 equipment!
- The DAC's on the 950 are top notch (extreamely important).
- Analog stages are also excellent.

Unless you need the lastest in video upsampling, and want to have digital transfer of SACD / DVD-A, your crazy not to give the $699 Outlaw pre-amp a try!

Cheers,

Adrian