Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#27207 - 12/27/04 09:50 PM 950 should be here tomorrow. I have a question...
CRUZMISL Offline
Gunslinger

What mode do you use to listen to concerts that are in 5.1 Dolby? I have Voom and they sometimes have some pretty good shows. Also, what mode do you use for music? I'd like to be able to keep the lows (<80hz) out of my mains. Is that possible??

Thanks!

Joe

#27208 - 12/27/04 10:22 PM Re: 950 should be here tomorrow. I have a question...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If they're in Dolby Digital 5.1, you will automatically have to use Dolby Digital processing. For CD's, I stay with stereo, but you can always try Pro Logic II and DTS-NEO:6.

If you want to keep the material below 80Hz out of your mains, set the speakers to small and the crossover point for those speakers to at least 80Hz (might also experiment with 100Hz just for the sake of curiousity). That will take care of in all modes except stereo bypass (in which case, the signal is passed without change, although a duplicate is processed to generate a signal for the sub if the mains are set to small) and the six channel analog input (which is taken care of by the analog bass management, which I would recommend switching to "on").

Have fun tomorrow!

#27209 - 12/27/04 10:28 PM Re: 950 should be here tomorrow. I have a question...
Lee44 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
Gonk beat me to it but I'll post what I found.

Download the manual, page 26 for speaker setups. Crossover for mains, center and (all) surrounds are adjustable individually, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120 and 150 hz.

After the first of the year I'm going for one of the B-stock 950's, $649 w/shipping paid is just too good smile

Then I'll be an owner and not a lurker!

Lee

#27210 - 12/27/04 10:52 PM Re: 950 should be here tomorrow. I have a question...
CRUZMISL Offline
Gunslinger

Sounds great. I have one more question. I have a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player that has DVD-A capability. What connection will yield the best quality? I have a Toslink, Analog or Coaxial to choose from. I read that depending on the connection the signal is downgraded to reduce piracy....

Thanks,
Joe

#27211 - 12/27/04 11:10 PM Re: 950 should be here tomorrow. I have a question...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The coaxial and optical digital outputs are the way to go for video DVD's, but you'll need half a dozen analog audio cables for DVD-A. The only way to play DVD-Audio is to use the six channel analog outputs (as you've read, the DVD-Audio is not output digitally due to copy protection paranoia).

#27212 - 12/28/04 01:21 AM Re: 950 should be here tomorrow. I have a question...
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by CRUZMISL:
... I have a Panasonic RP-91 DVD player ... What connection will yield the best quality? ...
Welcome to the forum CRUZMISL. I also have a Panasonic RP-91, and have been very pleased with it for two years now.

As usual, Gonk has given you good advise. Six-channel DVD Audio can be awesome, and the Outlaw 950 does a good job, but there are limitations to the bass management feature that have caused many Gunslingers (and Desperados) to choose to turn the bass management switch to the OFF position. I and many others with large main speakers have incorporated an Outlaw ICBM to provide flexibility in choosing the crossover points for 6-channel sources. This means purchasing another 6 Outlaw PCA cables.

For digital connections:
I believe that the digital coax connections are considered by many to be more reliable (or less vulnerable) than optical connections, and usually less expensive too.

... and The Other Analog Connections:
Please don't forget the two channel (L & R) outputs from the Panasonic RP-91. When you use Stereo Bypass Mode on the 950, these are the active outputs in the circuit. In my system, Stereo Bypass Mode is the best method of listening to 2 channel CD's (by a country mile). This mode allows the main channels to receive the full range signal, while sending a low pass signal to the sub(s) at your chosen crossover. Again, use high quality RCA connections such as Outlaw PCA cables. The Panasonic RP-91 DVD player can output an upsampled (88kHz) analog signal from standard CD's which I have found to be a significant improvement. The RP-91 has three upsampling profiles, and I have found that profile "2" is the most compatible with all forms of music. *** It is important to note that you must turn OFF the RP-91 upsampling feature to use Dolby PL2 Music Mode or other processor modes available to the Outlaw 950.***

Some people use the 6-Channel Bypass Mode as a substitute for "Stereo Bypass Mode" when playing two channel music, but I have found that two channel sources sound better in the Stereo Bypass Mode. I don't have any logical explanation for this, as both are bypass modes, but I have blind tested these and there is a demonstrable audible difference in my system configuration.

I wish you a great 2005 in sonic nirvana.

Allan

#27213 - 12/28/04 11:40 AM Re: 950 should be here tomorrow. I have a question...
Grizzly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Elmira, New York
What is a b-stock 950?

#27214 - 12/28/04 12:21 PM Re: 950 should be here tomorrow. I have a question...
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Generally, a b-stock of any unit is something that has been returned for whatever reason and is being re-sold after making sure everything works right. They can have small, cosmetic blemishes, but function just as well as a new unit.

#27215 - 12/28/04 06:33 PM Re: 950 should be here tomorrow. I have a question...
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
I usually just play music with stereo 7 or bypass, but if it is recorded in 5.1, check it out with DD or if your lucky they might have recorded with DTS, unlikely but possible. Experiment find the one that sounds the best to you. wink smile

#27216 - 12/29/04 12:30 PM Re: 950 should be here tomorrow. I have a question...
CRUZMISL Offline
Gunslinger

AGAssarsson, very helpful. One question though. I have both digital out's set to bitstream but how do I access the 3 different upsampling profiles? I like the RP91 but the user interface is horrible...

Thanks!
JOe

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM