Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#27166 - 12/26/04 01:53 AM bose 901
hawk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Va.
Hello
?????? Got bose 901's w/EQ That said I'm using carver tfm 35's for the front bose 501's and another carver 35 for the rear 501's- a carver tfm 15 for the Polk center and a Klpsch powered sub. I know the 501's are antique but thats all I got!!!!! Would like to include the 901's in the program. How do I get the EQ in??????? Any suggestions

#27167 - 12/26/04 03:18 AM Re: bose 901
jarwahl Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Pretty amazing post.

It shows:

1. The rudeness of people these days. Incredible someone can post this onto an Outlaw forum without so much as an iota of an apology that they need to ask people here for a question that really has NOTHING to do with Outlaw (it's another matter that they also will probably NEVER have anything to do with Outlaw if they have been so gullible and lacking in interests of quality - to be drawn in by Bose!)

2. It also shows that the customer service of Bose, Carver, Polk and Klipsch must be ZILCH (no big news)

My recommendation is for people just to turn their back when questions like this appear from people like this - after all, there are 'limits.'

PS - This is the same guy that cuts you off on the freeway - jumps the queue - and shouts on cellphones - among other nice personality traits - so here's your chance for revenge - just 'walk on by.'

#27168 - 12/26/04 05:11 AM Re: bose 901
Lee44 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
Hmmm, no mention of a pre/pro only the power amps. Maybe he has a 950? Hawk, 950?

Both posts are interesting for a first post and sequential member numbers. (??)

I've learned on thing tonight, I now know what a Carver TFM 35 is smile

Happy New Year to all the gunslingers!
Lee

#27169 - 12/26/04 05:40 AM Re: bose 901
jarwahl Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

"Both posts are interesting for a first post and sequential member numbers. (??)"

Just couldn't help reacting. Of course, my comments are withdrawn if it turns out this person has a 950 - or maybe they suddenly 'acquire' one after reading these posts - small 'price' to pay for getting professional advice (of course, the first advice would be to trash the Boses :-) )

#27170 - 12/26/04 09:37 AM Re: bose 901
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
if it's got no lows,it must be bose

#27171 - 12/26/04 09:49 AM Re: bose 901
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Hawk, what else does your system have? If it's a a receiver, see if it has a tape loop feature. If it's a pre/pro & amp then put the EQ between the two.

I don't see any reason to bash this guy. There's nothing wrong with the questions he asked. We can talk about things that are not Outlaw here, although the Outlaws would sure appreciate if we purchased some of their stuff. smile

#27172 - 12/26/04 10:15 AM Re: bose 901
painttoad Offline
Desperado

jt,just to set the record straight...I'M not bashing hawk,i'm slammin' bose!never have liked those marketing geniuses!

#27173 - 12/26/04 10:20 AM Re: bose 901
jarwahl Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

"I don't see any reason to bash this guy."

At the very least - if one is going to come on with non-Outlaw issues SPECIFICALLY related to other equipment - and really not generating anything interesting for Outlaw users and potential buyers - that at least start with "pardon me, but I can't seem to get any of the customer service people of the brands I know to answer this ......"

It's simply called politeness and consideration.

An element of character sadly missing in the Age of Bush/Rumsfeld.

#27174 - 12/26/04 10:22 AM Re: bose 901
jarwahl Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Should say "customer service people of the brands I OWN"

#27175 - 12/26/04 10:38 AM Re: bose 901
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
jarwahl - Welcome to the saloon, I see that you registered just today so you may not have been around here for long. This forum has always been very open and welcoming to anybody, whatever their current gear might be. When you referred to hawk's first post and spoke of "rudeness," the only rudeness I saw was yours. Please note that he obviously owns Bose speakers, Carver amps, and a Klipsh sub, but he didn't say what pre/pro he has - except that he posted his question in the Model 950 forum, leading me to assume that he has a 950 driving everything. In this case, think about the following: Bose customer service is likely to be bad, Carver's is not open today, Klipsh is not going to try to help him with it since his sub is unrelated to the problem, and Outlaw's service (both from the Outlaw's themselves and the crew around here) is pretty damned useful - I think hawk came to the right place for a good, quick answer. You speak of politeness and consideration - I would invite you to demostrate some in your posts here.

Hawk - Merry day after Christmas. I take it that you are wanting to replace the front 501's with the 901's. I would recommend installing the EQ between your pre/pro and the Carver TFM 35 amp that is driving the front speakers.

#27176 - 12/26/04 11:23 AM Re: bose 901
jarwahl Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

"Klipsch is not going to try to help him with it since his sub is unrelated to the problem"

That is clearly not supposed to be - anyone owning equipment from ANY manufacturer should expect professional advice from any aspect or characteristic in the audio-visual arena - or point them in a specific direction - or find someone to get in touch with them.

That has always been MY PERSONAL RULE IN the business - but obviously doesn't seem to be a fit philosophy according to you.

My ONLY point was that AT LEAST begin with a 'pardon, but' - I'm pretty good at the 'implied' world but I really think if Hawk owned a 950 it would have come out specifically in the question.

And you will notice my second post withdrew any comments if indeed Hawk had neglected to tell about their 950 - something I believe rather unlikely unless now suddenly 'acquired' for the purposes of this forum 'discussion.'

Politeness is still not dangerous to use -

As for the type that shouts in cellphones, etc. - I do wonder about TWO sets of SEVEN TIMES REPEATED question marks - and one set of FIVE EXCLAMATION MARKS in one paragraph in the original question. Why does that make me wonder about the DNA that could be 'intruding' without so much as a 'thank you m'am.'

#27177 - 12/26/04 11:26 AM Re: bose 901
jarwahl Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

"anyone owning ANY equipment from ANY manufacturer should expect professional advice from any aspect or characteristic in the audio-visual arena"

So basically Klipsch should even 'bother' to tip off a Klipsch subowner on what they think might be a good DVD player - projector - whatever. Or answer any problems in the chain - or at least point relevantly to places whhere the problem can be solved.

That's just how it should be - even if seldom found.

#27178 - 12/26/04 12:06 PM Re: bose 901
gonk Offline
Desperado

Klipsch has a good reputation, so it is possible that they would step up to the plate and help him, if they have support staff available today. As a consumer, however, I would never go to the company that made my subwoofer and ask about how to hook up a speaker made by their competitor - a good company would give me an answer, but I would consider it to be (borrowing a term from earliest posts) rude to even ask the question.

You did note in your second post that hawk might actually own a 950 - but you left your original highly inflammatory first post unedited and offered no apology for flying off the handle at a new member of this forum. Even if hawk didn't own a 950, your original post does not fit the traditions of this forum - the folks around here are home theater enthusiasts (quite a few of whom own or plan to own Outlaw gear) who strive to help each other out. Owning Outlaw gear has never been a requirement for posting here.

Hawk's post style - stream of consciousness sentences and random punctuation - is a pet peeve of mine, but I refuse to deny someone help with a problem solely because their post isn't as well-presented as I'd like.

#27179 - 12/26/04 12:54 PM Re: bose 901
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Dude, just r-e-l-a-x a bit. cool

I think we need some more input from hawk before saying anything else. If we keep going on like this, the poor guy will run away screaming.

#27180 - 12/26/04 01:14 PM Re: bose 901
painttoad Offline
Desperado

ok hawk,sorry to slam your speakers(just personal preference) ,since you must be using preamp outputs to drive your amps,put the eq between the preamp and main speaker amp.then send a post tellin' us that you do have a piece of outlaw equipment.(just to calm everybody down a bit)

and a quick question to gonk,if he happenned to have a receiver with tape loop,and preamp outputs for all channels,and put the eq in the loop,wouldn't that affect all outputs? shouldn't the eq still be placed between the two?

#27181 - 12/26/04 01:36 PM Re: bose 901
jarwahl Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

"Owning Outlaw gear has never been a requirement for posting here."

OF COURSE NOT - I was just asking for a modicum of courtesy and politeness ofintroducing the question with a 'pardon but' - and wondering where people start to blast others they have never heard from ever before with a total of 14 question marks and 6 exclamation points all within a few sentences.

Unfortunately that PUSHY kind of 'ME' philosophy is the order of the day for many.

Anyhow - let's move on.

#27182 - 12/26/04 05:25 PM Re: bose 901
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by jarwahl:
Unfortunately that PUSHY kind of 'ME' philosophy is the order of the day for many.
Exactly.

Quote:
Anyhow - let's move on.
Let's, again.

#27183 - 12/26/04 08:20 PM Re: bose 901
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
and a quick question to gonk,if he happenned to have a receiver with tape loop,and preamp outputs for all channels,and put the eq in the loop,wouldn't that affect all outputs? shouldn't the eq still be placed between the two?
With most modern surround processors and receivers, the "tape loop" can't really be used with an EQ at all - it is not designed to serve as a processor loop; there isn't a true tape loop. Instead, there is an analog stereo audio output that is intended for recording the active input, often without any sort of D/A conversion for digital audio sources.

#27184 - 12/26/04 08:29 PM Re: bose 901
painttoad Offline
Desperado

i wasn't totally sure if the tape monitor was a thing of the past.but it is!nowadays i don't think we have much use for the loop,but it served it's purpose very well!

#27185 - 12/26/04 08:30 PM Re: bose 901
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
:p Guy’s, lighten up. It’s Christmas. Help the guy if you can, if you can’t, let it go. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#27186 - 12/26/04 09:02 PM Re: bose 901
painttoad Offline
Desperado

ok, i'm thinkin' about a post of what we used to run in the tape monitor loop.anybody game?

#27187 - 12/27/04 07:26 PM Re: bose 901
hawk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello Guys Sorry if my post seemed rude to some I agree it could have been written better. I do own a 950 (ser# 04-030700293) and totally pleased with it. Thanks for the help jt clark-oil can and especially gonk
Happy New Year to all-even you jarwahl

#27188 - 12/28/04 06:27 PM Re: bose 901
The Spatula Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Southern California
Hey guys, I've been on vacation the last couple of weeks. Wow, I hope Hawk wasn't scared off by the nuby. Hey Jarwahl, this sight is to help people with their home theatre problems regardless of the equipment. Of course we specialize in Outlaw, which it turns out Hawk owns a 950, but that doesn't mean if someone with another companies set up needs help we go, "Eeeeuw you don't own Outlaw, your not cool get lost!!!" Gonk knows this and with his usual helpful expertise, put him on the right track. So Jarwahl, chill out and Hawk welcome!!!

#27189 - 12/28/04 06:35 PM Re: bose 901
hawk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Spatula

#27190 - 12/29/04 09:28 AM Re: bose 901
Yahoo Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

So, Jarwahl...
You're so high on courtesy and politeness, I'm wondering where YOUR apology is????????

(Is that enough question marks for you? Preemptively withdrawing your comments isn't an apology, by the way)

The rudeness of people these days...jumping to the conclusion that Hawk doesn't have a 950, as opposed to offering him the benefit of the doubt that he DOES own a 950.

If you didn't have the knowledge to answer the question yourself, you could have just ignored it instead of bashing Hawk as a defense mechanism.

#27191 - 01/02/05 05:41 PM Re: bose 901
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
I have been away form this site for a couple of weeks and am just now catching up. Do any of you remember, (and occasionally it still pops up), how Outlaws were treated on other sites? I personally did not enjoy all the bashing. So I will never bash anyone on this site regardless of their equipment. I am in management, and I find that if you take time to treat people with respect you usually will win over a customer, (maybe not today but eventually).

#27192 - 01/02/05 06:03 PM Re: bose 901
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
...some people even use how they are treated by a certain manufacturer as a gauge for future purchases...I heard all the GREAT things about Outlaw Audio and figured if they took the time with me on my zillion questions, I could "repay" them with some business...I now plan to buy their 950/7100/LFM-1 combination...just my .02
Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#27193 - 01/02/05 10:44 PM Re: bose 901
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lansing, KS
Boy, talking about some hostility because someone doesn't own certain audio equipments that everyone approve. I have owned many different audio equipments over the years and that includes some Bose speakers. I currently have one HT system (BTW, I do own Outlaw 950/755 combo, just in case someone might get upset) and three different two channel audio systems in my home. And I still have Bose 901 speakers playing in one of the audio system. My other speakers are consist of some combination of Def Tech, Sound Dynamics, SVS, Klipsch, and Monitor Audio. We as fellow audio lovers should never discourage anybody from enjoying their audio equipments just because they owned different kinds of audio equipments than yours. So just relax and enjoy your music or movies with whatever you have in your home without worries that you might offending anybody. BTW, I hooked up my 901 equalizer between preamp and power amp just like "gonk" has suggested in earlier post. Welcome to Outlaw forum. Cheers and happy new year!

#27194 - 01/02/05 10:55 PM Re: bose 901
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Coming in late to this thread, and back to the original post that started it all...

I'm actually intrigued by your set-up hawk.

I'm one who distinguishes between the "old" Bose - and the "new" one that markets and sells those little cube thingies.

What series of 901s and 501s do you have? As I have posted before, I've owned a pair of 901s in the past - but could never get my room to adapt to them properly. I've also said it would be neat to set up a 7.1 HT system comprised entirely of 901s - just to see how it would sound (in the proper room of course.)

I also owned a pair of Bose 501s at one time. Traded in a pair of Cerwin Vegas for them if I recall correctly. Then somewhere around 1979 I traded them straight up for my first pair of Koss CM1030s - which I still have.

I liked the 501s - but again they were tough to place properly in the room that I had available at the time (a dorm room at university.) The Koss towers were a much better fit (and speaker) - but I remember setting up the 501s in my parent's large rec room for an entire summer - and they sounded very good to me.

What intrigues me about your set-up is how you might continue to use your two pairs of 501s as the surrounds in a 7.1 set-up. If you have the space for it. I'm assuming that you are using the older 501 variants. (I believe Bose re-issued the 501 in a completely different, and inferior, variation in the not-too-distant past.)

I actually use two pairs of 301s in that capacity right now - and they work very well. However the 501s are larger (at least the old series) and would be tough to mount anywhere but on the floor.

If you do get the whole thing running in a 7.1 config I'd be interested to hear how it sounds. As I did with the 301s, and again assuming that you are using older 501s like the ones I'm familiar with, you have the choice of "reversing" the 501s to see in which location the sound better - given their twin tweeter / direct/reflecting design. It will come down again to your room - and seating position.

Jeff Mackwood

ps. to hawk: welcome to the forum

ps. to jarwhal: I own a 950 and an ICBM, so I guess I have the right to post this reply.

#27195 - 01/02/05 11:54 PM Re: bose 901
silversport Offline
Desperado

Loc: ChicagoLand/USA
Cool on the Bose...I had 301s that had the paddles and the "open cell" foam on 'em...my sister is still using them and they were bought new by me in 1979...
:p laugh wink cool Bill

...Let the Movies and Music Play...

#27196 - 01/04/05 10:27 AM Re: bose 901
rance Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Boston. MA
Besides the incredible amount of knowledge in the Saloon, the courtesy, friendliness, openness, and sincere desire to help from all the members is what really sets it apart from other forums. Let's hope it can stay that way.

#27197 - 01/06/05 08:16 PM Re: bose 901
hawk Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hello Guys, The 901's work well with the EQ inserted between my 950 and amp. I'm trying to work out the 7.1 thing but not real happy so far, dont really have the room for it. Jeff, the 901's are series VI the 501's are II's and III's I agree the newer ones are not so good. 901's and 501's are difficult to work with especially in the 5.1 mode but are not bad in stereo, they do need a decent sub.
Thanks for all the help and SUPPORT. Thanks again to gonk for coming to my rescue,for a minute I was about to duck and run. Dont mean to get away from the Outlaw Q and A's but without my 950 I wouldnt have any questions. Its a great piece of equipment with soooo many options.

#27198 - 01/06/05 11:10 PM Re: bose 901
gonk Offline
Desperado

Glad to hear the system's up and running, hawk. And feel free to swing by with other questions - surround sound systems (and the processors, like the 950, that drive them) present a much more complex array of options and issues than stereo systems ever did, but there are folks around here who can figure out most any problems that crop up.

#27199 - 01/07/05 10:07 PM Re: bose 901
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 197 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts