Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27118 - 12/16/04 02:18 AM Outlaw's new pre/pro to have balanced outputs...
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
In the latest newsletter. smile Know what the requirements for my next pre/pro are?

o balanced outputs
o DPL IIx
o i.Link
o individual crossovers
o software upgradeable

And a bunch of other stuff the new Outlaw should easily satisfy.

I am now hopeful that the Outlaw's next unit might actually be what I'm looking for! Come on i.Link, come on i.Link... laugh

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#27119 - 12/16/04 10:05 AM Re: Outlaw's new pre/pro to have balanced outputs...
DennisG Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Richmond, VA
I wish they could release some more info. I am looking to upgrade and would like to know what features the new pre/pro will have. I am looking at the Emotiva pre/pro but would wait if I knew the outlaw had some key features missing on the Emotiva.

#27120 - 12/16/04 11:14 AM Re: Outlaw's new pre/pro to have balanced outputs...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 950's launch was a significant learning experience for Outlaw - which means better product launches for the consumer (although problems with new products are unavoidable to a certain degree) and sadly less information during the design process. I'm actually surprised they said as much as they did at this point (by which I mean formally acknowledging that the product is in development for release in the next year). The balanced outputs were suspected after the announcement of the Model 790 (which had balanced inputs) some months back.

#27121 - 12/16/04 11:31 AM Re: Outlaw's new pre/pro to have balanced outputs...
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
And don’t forget. It says “pricing will be substantially above that of the original Model 950 price”

But, by how much? Hmmm, it would be nice if Outlaw does their own version of The Price is Right contest and the winner gets the new unit. laugh

#27122 - 12/16/04 07:05 PM Re: Outlaw's new pre/pro to have balanced outputs...
beetle63 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Talbott, TN
I'd like to see high and low tone control knobs, and pushbuttons for direct access to sources. Make it simple and convenient.

#27123 - 12/17/04 01:32 AM Re: Outlaw's new pre/pro to have balanced outputs...
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Gonk- I missed that the 970 had balanced outputs. Do you remember if it had i.Link? (Shoot, I need to check the newer Adcom and ATI pre/pros. Some of those are Eastech based, assuming Outlaw sticks with them for the manufacturing. Might give some clues as to the new one.)

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#27124 - 12/17/04 03:46 AM Re: Outlaw's new pre/pro to have balanced outputs...
worldwide Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: las vegas, NV 89031
Gonk- How do you know that the 950's launch was a significant learning experience for Outlaw? Did they mention it while cutting your latest paycheck for putting a pro-Outlaw spin on this forum? Also,I beleive that it's a mistake for any HT equipment manufacturer not to include HDMI switching on their pre/pro's and HDMI outputs on their other components. What's the hold up here? Is the interconnect manufacturers lobby that strong that the industry can't change directions?

#27125 - 12/17/04 08:20 AM Re: Outlaw's new pre/pro to have balanced outputs...
gonk Offline
Desperado

Kevin - if we're assuming the 970 is the name of the next pre/pro, all we know is what was in the last newsletter (price undetermined, slated for release in the next year or so, balanced output) and that the upcoming 790 has balanced inputs - which is why several folks suggested that balanced outputs seemed likely on the next pre/pro. I'd guess that it'll be a while before they reveal anything more than the balanced outputs.

Worldwide - How about you back off a bit, huh? How do I know that the 950's launch was a significant learning experience? Because I recognize how much effort they put into trying to get the 950's problems resolved, and because I can look at the way they are preparing for the release of the 1070.

As for the "holdup" in HDMI appearing on home theater equipment (Outlaw or otherwise), keep in mind that design cycles are measured in years, and HDMI is still a young interface. DVI was brought over from the PC, where it was first used for LCD monitors a number of years ago, which I think is a big reason why it was the first digital video interface to actually make it to market in significant numbers. A year ago, DVI was the dominant digital video interface, and I think it is still more common on new HDTV's (not to mention the HDTV's made in the last couple of years, which gives DVI a significantly larger installed base on the TV side). It's only been the last six months or so that manufacturers have begun to incorporate HDMI more. I'm guessing that HDMI was still too young to make it into the design for the 1070. The 970 (or whatever it ends up being called) may be a different story.

#27126 - 12/17/04 10:16 AM Re: Outlaw's new pre/pro to have balanced outputs...
DennisG Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Richmond, VA
Gonk, I know that the 950 was a good lesson for Outlaw but I think their biggest issue was the actual release date and a couple of early bugs. The early release of features was never really an issue from what I remember.

I assume if the product is going to be released in 2005, a feature list is probably close to being set. It would just be nice to know some of the new features it will have over the 950.

Dennis

#27127 - 12/17/04 10:53 AM Re: Outlaw's new pre/pro to have balanced outputs...
gonk Offline
Desperado

If the product is going to be released in 2005, I would suspect that the feature list is very close to frozen at this point. Like you, I'd love to know what those features are, but with the 950 they announced it early and underestimated the amount of time they would need to get the unit into production - leading to a series of target release dates that slid across more months than anybody cares to remember. With the features dangling like a carrot throughout those series of unavoidable delays (including adding Dolby Digital EX in late 2001, right after licensing was first offered), there was a large and vocal group online who used that time to poke, prod, and generally make a fuss. Outlaw announced shortly afterward that they felt it was important to keep the lid more tightly in place on future new products to help minimize that sort of impatience. That's why they aren't giving us any more about the next pre/pro yet, and it's why I was surprised to see any mention of the next pre/pro at all in the latest newsletter. As for the post-launch issues with the 950, I will give Outlaw credit for remembering how much pain they went through while fixing it, and I feel certain that they are doing all they can to minimize the chance of a repeat performance with the 1070.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 75 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts