Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#27088 - 12/15/04 05:49 PM Re: Is the 950 dated???
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 950 doesn't support using a microphone to do calibration. A $30 SPL meter from Radio Shack will let you do a very good job getting levels calibrated, however, and even with automated systems such as is beginning to be offered I would tend to still double-check with a meter.

When comparing a new 950 at $700 to a used Ref20 (for example) that is four years old and costs a bit more, consider a couple of things: does the other unit offer the 950's features (triple adjustable crossovers, component video switching, Pro Logic II, analog bass management on 5.1 input, stereo bypass for analog inputs), and does the warranty make a difference? A new 950 will come with a five year warranty, while a used unit may only have a year or so worth of warranty left (or less).

#27089 - 12/16/04 01:59 PM Re: Is the 950 dated???
CRUZMISL Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for all the responses. This decision isn't easy. I am considering using a Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX (essentially the same price) as the processor instead of the 950. I have done some research and some believe that the Elite would dominate the 950. I have no idea if this is true or not so can someone offer some advice?
Thanks!
Joe

#27090 - 12/16/04 04:21 PM Re: Is the 950 dated???
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The VSX-54TX has a nice array of features, and in spite of the $1500 MSRP I'm sure that some online shopping can turn one up for around the 950's new price, but I would be dubious of the suggestion that the 54TX would sonically be an improvement over the 950. It is of course possible that some people have tried both briefly and preferred the 54TX, but there are also cases routinely where the first impression with a new pre/pro is negative due to configuration mistakes. (For example, I have a co-worker who bought a Rotel RSP-1068 pre/pro and Rotel amp last summer, and spent the first weekend with it miserable because there was no low end to speak of - because the speakers defaulted to "small" with an 80Hz or 100Hz crossover to the sub and his system didn't have a sub to reproduce that low frequency material.) With Outlaw's 30-day return policy, you could always let your ears decide for you. Having owned a 950 for a while, I can comfortably say that the 950 would certainly work very well for you - not to mention the superior customer service you'll get from Outlaw (five year warranty rather than two, real people answering the customer support phones and able to give real support, and a group here in the forum with a wealth of knowledge).

#27091 - 12/16/04 05:20 PM Re: Is the 950 dated???
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
once the 970 comes out the 950 will be even less... i would wait and see at least that way you can compare the pros/cons of them both.

#27092 - 12/19/04 12:05 PM Re: Is the 950 dated???
jeffdavis Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Columbia, SC
Joe,

I purchased a 950b/770 combination in early October of ths year. I was hesitant to purchase a 950 because I too was thinking that perhaps it was a little long in the tooth, and I was thinking of waiting until newer features were available. I have not been disappointed in the least with my purchase, especially the performance that I get with the 950. My only regret is that I did not purchase this sooner. I upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V2200 reciever, which I'd augmented with a pair of Outlaw 200 monoblocks. The increased clarity and soundstage that I get from the 950 are far better than I was expecting. (Here's a link to my original thoughts: http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=001384 )

If you truly wish to step into the world of separates to see what it is all about, I don't think that you could go wrong with a 950. And as Gonk pointed out previously, you get a 5-year warranty from Outlaw. And I doubt if you could put a price on the excellent support from the good people in the Outlaw Forums.

Jeff
LR: ARC Reference 1 | Emotiva XPR-2 | Music Hall MMF2.2 | Oppo BDP-83SE | Polk XRt12 XM Receiver | Emotiva XDA-1 DAC | Sony HAP-S1 (digital audio player) | Sansui TU-217 Tuner | Magnepan 3.6R w/Mye-Stands | SVS SB-16 sub | BA VR-M90s | Audio Quest 72db speaker cable
Office: Drobo 5N running as PLEX media server
Closet: too many pieces to put all into place, I need more rooms smile

#27093 - 12/19/04 11:34 PM Re: Is the 950 dated???
CRUZMISL Offline
Gunslinger

Jeff, well said. I am certainly not looking to buy a receiver again only to use it as a pre amp but if it were sonically better then I may consider it. The high end separates are out of my price range. I currently have a 12 year old YAmaha receiver so I am th8inking that the 950 would be leaps and bounds better anyway smile

I have my Rocket 750's being delivered this week and I also got a good deal on an Adcom GFA 7605 amp so I really only need a good pre. Rather than futz around with research I'll just order it and if I don't like it then send it back. I ordered $4k worth of speakers which I have never heard of those would be much more difficult to send back.

I'm not looking for all the bells and whistles or the latest gadgetry. I only want very realistic music and movies in a 5.1 system in a well built quality product.

Thanks for all the advice, it was very helpful.

Joe

#27094 - 12/20/04 07:20 PM Re: Is the 950 dated???
DMF Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Atlantis
You can't really compare a receiver to the equivalent in price in a separate pre/pro because the receiver has all those amp stages that have to be paid for somehow. You can save $$ on digital as better software/chips are developed since the cost of the hardware is essentially the same. But power components *do not* obey that equation.

If you're buying 7 channels worth of power components in the receiver, they're making up the cost somewhere else.

Sonic quality of the 950 is outstanding. You wouldn't regret a purchase.

#27095 - 12/20/04 09:25 PM Re: Is the 950 dated???
jeffdavis Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Columbia, SC
Joe,

If you do order the 950, please don't forget to come back and let us know what you think of it. I expect that we'll hear that you're happy with it and won't be sending it back.

Jeff
LR: ARC Reference 1 | Emotiva XPR-2 | Music Hall MMF2.2 | Oppo BDP-83SE | Polk XRt12 XM Receiver | Emotiva XDA-1 DAC | Sony HAP-S1 (digital audio player) | Sansui TU-217 Tuner | Magnepan 3.6R w/Mye-Stands | SVS SB-16 sub | BA VR-M90s | Audio Quest 72db speaker cable
Office: Drobo 5N running as PLEX media server
Closet: too many pieces to put all into place, I need more rooms smile

#27096 - 12/21/04 06:37 AM Re: Is the 950 dated???
CRUZMISL Offline
Gunslinger

I will. I plan to order just after Christmas. I have to be sure i have some money after my wife is done shopping smile

Thanks again for all the advice.

Joe

#27097 - 12/21/04 11:43 AM Re: Is the 950 dated???
JMS Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NE Ohio
I always like to buy hi-tech items one generation removed. The 950 will be at least 90% as good as its replacement but will probably be only 50% of the price. I'll be happy to forego that extra 10% of supposed "goodness" to save the $$$. (Is there anything really new on the horizon that is not included in the 950?) My hp digital camera is a little thicker than this year's model but it takes the same quality picture. My computer is slightly slower than cutting edge models but I've got five seconds to spare! My keyboard, a Yamaha S80 is actually superior in some ways to the latest S90, IMHO. Etc, etc.

Jay

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM