Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#27038 - 12/06/04 01:35 PM 950 trigger controlling AC block
moregearman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: nj
Does anyone else know how I can do this....

I use a Furman pl8+ rackmounted power conditioner for all components, other than 3 200w per ch power amps. The amps are plugged into a powerblock I made from a 2 gang work box, 20a receptacles, a switch and heavy power cord that is plugged into a dedicated circuit.
My sony AV3000 turns everything on and off but the amps (they are commercial units and are NOT remote controllable.). I am looking for some way the the 950 can tigger a power block on and off so that I dont have to walk over the gear rack and switch on the power block to turn the amps on.
I have been dealing with it for awhile, but now I had to put a "kid proof" device on the racks glass doors so that my son doesnt cram a Blue Clues fisher price "CD" somewhere it doesnt belong (or worse........). So now it is kinda a PITA (those "kid proof" locks are also "parent annoying" but it doesnt specify that on the packaging laugh )
What would work is a "power conditioner" that is triggerable by the 950 but I can't seem to find any online. The only ones I did see were like 24v or 32v (I think)but even then I found 1 or 2.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

#27039 - 12/07/04 07:49 AM Re: 950 trigger controlling AC block
phogandive Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fitchburg, MA USA
Hi,
I don't know how electronically oriented you are, but I made my own. I used a small solid state relay (good for about a half amp) to turn on a large 30 amp mechanical relay, (I could have done it all with just a large solid state relay, but high power versions of these dissipate a fair bit of heat at high currents...the mechanical one just dissipates the insignificant coil current as heat, and nothing more from the load it is carrying) and mounted them both inside an outlet strip box. There is a 1/8" jack so it plugs right in to a trigger cord.
Now when I turn on the 950, it turns on the outlet strip, and all my other amps, equalizers, etc come on too. Makes things MUCH simpler.
Actually I made 2 when I did it, and am only using one. If you're interested, I could let you have the second one for what I have into it (cost of the outlet strip, plus the extra parts...about $45 all told). If you're interested, email me at phogandive@aol.com

HTH,
Peter

Who's Online
0 registered (), 75 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts