Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#26986 - 01/08/05 12:43 AM Re: 950/755 break in?
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
So far this topic has been primarily focused on the equipment. I wish someone with expertise in human hearing and brain processing would chime in. Take for example, our sense of taste. We can take something disgusting such as the very first drag on a cigarette and over time have a love and a preference of one brand over another. Same thing with alcoholic beverages. So why not hearing? The first few days we don't care for how our system sounds but then it begings to sound better. Equipment VS brain processing. Anyone out their with medical or psych info on this?

#26987 - 01/08/05 07:29 AM Re: 950/755 break in?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Alejate:
So far this topic has been primarily focused on the equipment. I wish someone with expertise in human hearing and brain processing would chime in.
That is the arugment I've been trying to put forth from the beginning, that it is really a case of the listener getting used to the sound of a new piece of equipmet over time and as a result it sounds better to them, thus "breaking-in" of the ears rather than the equipment.

I run into this all the time in tuning systems with EQ, and it's a bias that I have to fight. Over time, even a "wrong" tuning starts to sound "correct" to my ear as I get used to the sound. If not realized and fought, objectivity is compromised. The same is true of mixes of music I've performed - any mixing job starts to sound "right" after a while, no matter how it originally sounded.

New pieces of gear that have run through my studio (new equipment I bought for my film work or equipment designed by one of my best friends, who is a designer of audio equipment for some high end brands) at first listening sometimes sounds startlingly "different", and over the hours/days, they start to sound like the "norm" rather than "different".

In these instances, I have cross-checked the differences in sound both initialy and over time by using two examples of the particular piece of equipment. I use one only of them (usually because I only need one of them) and do not power up the other piece at all (in some instances, I've known that both examples are completely new since I've assembled them). After my ears have adapted to the first piece of equipment (what some people would believe as "break-in") I have performed an A/B blind comparison of the original piece of equipment to the absolutely new piece of equipment.

The result has always been the same - the used piece of equipment and the never-powered-on piece of equipment sound identical.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts