Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#26710 - 10/28/04 10:39 AM Re: What would you tell a prospective 950 buyer?
AGAssarsson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:

The S1500's manual is not particularly clear on the matter of the upconversion... I haven't had a chance to figure out if the stereo analog output still upconverts.
I believe that when you switch back and forth between the normal Stereo input, and Stereo Bypass mode, the outlaw display will show the incoming signal frequency for a couple of seconds. Connected to my player, the 950 will display 44.1 kHz with upsampling turned OFF, and 88.2 kHz with upsampling turned ON. Also, switching the upsample feature on and off on the CD player should provide audible evidence of it's presence. I would guess that if the S1500 upsamples the digital signal, that it's D/A section would process the upsampled signal and output this to the analog outputs. That is how my unit works.

Please let me know what you discover, as the S1500 is a unit I have been waiting to hear for a long time. It missed it's market delivery date by a margin that would embarrass even the Outlaws.

Allan

#26711 - 10/28/04 10:56 AM Re: What would you tell a prospective 950 buyer?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
From what I have been able to discern from Yamaha's documentation, the S1500 only upsamples the analog output (no upsampling for digital output), so the 950's display can't help me. What I'll probably try doing when I get a few minutes is simply try switching upsampling on and off to see if I can hear a difference. I'll let you know what I find out.

#26712 - 10/28/04 03:57 PM Re: What would you tell a prospective 950 buyer?
markusp Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've owned a 950 for approx. 1 month now and I keep wondering why I didn't jump on this preamp sooner. I have extensively revamped my home theater repeatedly over the past 1.5 years and finally have a system that I am very happy with. That means that I no longer feel the need to upgrade which is a first for me!!!

Over the past several months, I went from a Marantz SR7300 receiver to a Yamaha RX-V1400 to a Cambridge Audio Azur 540R (later partnered with a NAD THX216 amp) to a NAD T752 (later partnered with an Acurus 125x5 amp) to my current setup of the Outlaw 950 and Acurus amp. I also home demoed the Harman Kardon AVR430, the Denon 3805 and the Rotel RSX-1055 and I am so happy that I took the chance on the Outlaw. As I already had the Acurus amp (which I love), I figured that a preamp that costs as much as a receiver had to sound better than a receiver to justify it's cost. I had read tons of reviews on this site and the net and jumped on a used model for a great deal. Setup was very easy and the sound and detail that the 950 produces is terrific. I have experienced none of the problems some other people have complained about and feel that this preamp blows any receiver out of the water (with a good amp of course) that is anywhere near its collective price point. It may lack Dolby PLIIx and some DSP modes but I do not miss them in the least. Some say that the 950's design is getting long in tooth but I feel that it meets my needs perfectly and does exactly what it is supoosed to do. I could have stuck with the Denon if I wanted the latest and greatest but what I wanted was fantastic sound and the 950 delivers!

The 950 is VALUE - as much as it was when it was initially introduced. Could it be better? I guess we'll find out when it's successor is introduced in the future smile

#26713 - 10/29/04 09:57 PM Re: What would you tell a prospective 950 buyer?
VtFool Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have owned the 950 for a couple of months after using the Marantz AV-550 for a few years. Both were/are coupled to a Rotel THX amp. Front speakers are Magnepan 12's, MMG's in the rear and a MMG-C. Absolutely love the bass management for each channel. The sound exceeds the Marantz with both music and dialogue. The remote is so-so particularly after using the Marantz remote. A very, very, good buy yet consider the $$ and it becomes an excellent purchase.

#26714 - 10/31/04 11:13 PM Re: What would you tell a prospective 950 buyer?
testtone Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: hawaii, usa
thanks bestbang for initiating the thread. actually, i've wanted to start one that would assist me in the decision. the comments from 950 owners especially those who have tried other units (rotel,denon 3805, marantz, yamaha, anthem, lexicon, parasound) are veluable inputs for me.
i am not excited about PLIIx and i will never be lured into DSPs. for me nothing beats an excellent stereo sound of music. no matter how hard i convince myself, DSPs just won't cut it. of course, HT is a different story.

thanks outlaws for their responses and OUTLAW for this forum. only here can i read honest, no non-sense, no market-hype review of 950 in comparsion to other pre/pro or receiver.

hey, but don't stop here. keep on sending your comments. good or bad.

ronald

#26715 - 11/01/04 12:03 AM Re: What would you tell a prospective 950 buyer?
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
I just passed 2 years with my 950.

I never listen to CDs, so I'm no help there.

I listen to DVD-A/SAVD and DTS CD MC discs through the 6 CH bypass using the 950's 80 Hz analog BM.

I run the SW out to a dedicated redirected bass subwoofer system and run the SW out of my player directly to a dedicated LFE sub system.

I watch DVDs in bypass mode also, except for the few EX/ES discs I own and rent, during which I use the 950 for decoding and sending to a 6.2 system.

The analog BM in bypass mode is extremely accurate and very clean. I don't have issues with digital delay because all 6 satellites are the same distance to the LP.

The 950 has always done exactly as advertised, right out of the box, and I'm very happy with the purchase, and will remain so until I hear someone else's set up that is a leap forward for the money.

I've said this many times and will repeat it here...with the purchase comes this forum, Scott and the gang, and the Mighty Gonk (not to mention a bunch more very cool folks who pop in frequently). If there is a problem, you barely blink and solutions are on the table...for 5 years after purchase.

That's worth a lot more than any review I've read ever mentions. Good luck finding that with Onk and the others (I tried that route before I purchased the 950, so I know 1st hand what a drag lack of service and help, tips, etc. can be).

#26716 - 11/04/04 11:08 AM Re: What would you tell a prospective 950 buyer?
justhavingfun Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lansing, KS
I purchased my 950/755 combo little over two years ago and extremely happy with the performance and never felt need to upgrade my pre/pro at all. I started with some Pioneer receiver (I forgot what model) in mid '80's with regular dolby surround (4 channels) sound. Then went with Sony receiver to get dolby pro-logic sound. My first foray into seperate system instead of receiver was Adcom/Rotel systems. I had a chance to listen to several different pre/pro systems other than those but I ended up with Adcom system for very long time. When dolby digital and DTS came around, I used Technics add-on for DD and DTS processings until I purchased 950/755 combo. I am still using two channel Adcom amplifier along with 755 for my main HT room. I finally purchased Denon DVD 2200 for my SACD/DVD-A playback capabilities few months ago, it was a too good of deal to pass-it up. Anyway, since 950, I am listening to CD's more and watching DVD movies without thinking about my next upgrade anymore as far as pre/pro is concern. I am no audiophile by any stretch of imagination but this is the first time I am enjoying my HT without wondering what's my next upgrade is going to be. Honestly, for my listening preference and ears, I couldn't justify spending few thousands dollars more for other "high-end" pre/pros out there. The only upgrade that I am going to look for in the future is next big-brother of 950, whenever that is. My only problem now is to find more time to enjoy my HT due to my other commitments like jobs, families, etc....

#26717 - 11/13/04 01:11 PM Re: What would you tell a prospective 950 buyer?
Alvin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, Al US
Somewhat off-topic, (but I am a prospective 950 buyer)...
I've read much debate about cable lengths, and basically come to the conclusion that if long runs are necessary, it's best done with speaker cable than interconnects. My quandry is this: my room has an "electronics" closet in the rear/ side, away from the front speakers and projector screen. I had to make a choice about
1. keeping the pre/pro in the closet and running long interconnects to the separate monoblocks, or
2. keeping the monoblocks in the closet and running long speaker cable or,
3. placing the pre/pro in the front and running long interconnects to the rear amp.
I chose the latter because everyone warned me against long runs of either interconnects or cable(about 40 ft altogether after running up the wall, across the attic, down the wall, into the closet). I'm just wondering if that is really as important as some people indicate. I mean, how long must the wire runs be in a theatre, anyway?
My preference is #1, because it "cleans up" the room & eliminates a lot of component and wire clutter.

A bit more on-topic, why do so many folks stress over additional component outs (for future models)? I'd prefer to send the video direct to projector (or TV) and switch there without going through a pre/pro.

Also - is there any real usefulness to a Dolby headphone jack?

Thanks, Gonk for your great pre/pro comparison chart - it's a wealth of helpful information.

#26718 - 11/13/04 01:52 PM Re: What would you tell a prospective 950 buyer?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Let me see if I am interpreting you correctly: You have chosen to put the pre/pro up front, you will have short interconnect runs to L/C/R amp(s) up front, short speaker cable for L/C/R up front, approximately 40-foot interconnects from pre/pro to surround/rear amp(s) in the closet with up to 30-foot speaker cable to surrounds/rears?

You are also placing your source gear near the pre/pro?

If all the above is true, and you are using interconnects made from well-shielded cable such as that manufactured by Belden or Canare, and the speaker cable is of sufficiently low resistance, and the cable runs, either interconnect or speaker cable, are not involved with strong interference fields, like those that would result from running audio cable in parallel with power wiring, you should be OK.

It would be best to run a test installation prior to the formal install just to determine if you will have any trouble that will present problems. One that may sneak up on you might be a different ground potential or ground loops between the two locations in your room.

I hope that has been helpful.

#26719 - 11/14/04 09:32 AM Re: What would you tell a prospective 950 buyer?
Alvin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mobile, Al US
BestBang,

You are correct about my current setup (except the speaker cables in the rear are not quite that long because the rear amp (in the component closet) is located close to the rear speakers) - but I'd like to change it. I'd like to place most or all of the components in the closet leaving the only the speakers out in the living room.

That would require 1. long speaker cables to the front L/R/C speakers (if all components are in the closet - and this is my preference) or 2. long interconnects if I keep the pre/pro near the front L/C/R speakers in order to keep the speaker cables short. I will use decent quality Belden interconnect wire if I do this. Also, in my attic, there are plenty of electrical wires laying around and while I can't avoid the interconnects having some physical contact, there are no electrical wires that will run parallel.

I've seen several cable sellers/manufacturers (such as [URL=http://stores.ebay.com/HDTV-Supply/Store-Home.html]) that advertise long *video* component or DVI cables, but audio seems relegated to the old discussions of those who think the type of speaker cable used is irrelevant and those who think $300/ft cables and interconnects are necessary.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 91 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts