Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#26621 - 10/11/04 09:26 AM Balance from left to right
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS
Howdy all...

I have had my 950 for some time now, and as I was testing out speakers this weekend, and even now that I have decided, it seems like I can't get the soundstage to come to the center. I have the speakers calibrated, and the left/right and center are set to the same db (think that showed me they are matched pretty well). However, when I have them positioned the same on each side of the TV (distance from center and such) it always seems the vocals are off to the left of the TV, from the listening position. I have tried toeing in the right main to move the sweet spot...but it starts looking back that one speaker is toed in and the other isn't.

My question, is there some sort of left to right balance setting in the 950 that I have missed? The right speaker (the one that I think is lagging a little bit) is about 8" further away from the listening position than the left one...and you can't set the distances different in the setup. That was the only problem I noticed with the positioning. I'm just not sure what things I need to change to move the sweet spot to the center of the TV (the straight ahead point of the listening position). I wouldn't think that I would have to trim the calibration more to one speaker, when they were balanaced using an SPL meter before.

Any suggestions on what I am missing, or if anyone noticed this with their system and fixed it?

Thanks in advance all!

Incog

#26622 - 10/11/04 01:12 PM Re: Balance from left to right
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
I had this problem with a pair of magnepans... the problem was that the tweeter was no longer working as it should on the right speaker so everything left biased...

try listening to each speaker individually... or use the test tones from the 950.. do the speakers sound the same?..

You're not missing anything for balance, that's all taken into account in the calibration....

#26623 - 10/11/04 01:17 PM Re: Balance from left to right
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

I guess it shouldn't matter, but I'll ask to be safe...when I have been calibrating the speakers, I have been putting a calibration disc in the dvd player to calibrate the settings on the 950. I haven't ever use the internal 950 test tones. I figured by using the DVD (digital) connection, I was calibrating the whole connection. Is this incorrect?

#26624 - 10/11/04 07:30 PM Re: Balance from left to right
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
As a simple test you could power off, disconnect the speaker cables, swap speakers, reconnect and power up. See if the 'strong side' moved with the speaker or stayed where it was. Also, temporarily move the speakers to the same distance from the listening position and check the results.

#26625 - 10/12/04 03:51 PM Re: Balance from left to right
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for the replies...

I tried swapping speakers and cables per Steve's suggestions and the image remained off to the left. So, it's purely a positioning problem (or reflection). I am going to mess with toe-in and see. I have them pointed straight ahead right now, and I'm worried about collapsing the sound stage, and messing up the intermediate surround sound between the mains and surround speakers. I hate room accoustic problems. smile

I'm getting closer though...but I will say...I love the sound of these new Onix Rockets!!! Internet direct is the way to go...Outlaw and Onix...what more could I ask for! smile

#26626 - 10/12/04 07:15 PM Re: Balance from left to right
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
Just a thought, and not sure if you tried this yet:

Is this through optical cable only, or does it occur in 6CH as well?

If it happens in 6CH as well, maybe switch R/L from your SACD player and see if it moves to the other side.

Did you ever check to see if your Center isn't heavy on the Left? Those are pretty big woofers on that baby. :rolleyes:

#26627 - 10/12/04 09:33 PM Re: Balance from left to right
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

I have tried it both through digital, and 6ch analog. It is obviously more noticable through the analog connection becuase of the high quality of the SACD's that I am playing through that connection.

I called Onix and they said that one other thing to try (on top of toeing them in) was to flip the center channel over so that the tweeter was closer to the other tweeters (by only about 4 inches or so...but hey).

Tonight, I messed with the positioning abit, and flipped the center channel..and it's close enough for me now. I just need to recalibrate to make sure that everything is still where it should be. Oh, I also scooted the right speaker out from the wall a bit more. It was a good inch closer to the back wall than the other speaker. Something improved it... I'm sure toe-in would work a little better...but I don't want to shrink the sound stage at all. They sound to good right now.

Thanks guys...and Nert. :p

#26628 - 10/12/04 10:45 PM Re: Balance from left to right
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
Hey, I'm a guy too. wink

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM