Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#26595 - 10/07/04 04:36 PM Re: Speaker Testing
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
From http://www.firstpr.com.au/dsp/pink-noise/ . . .

For the purposes of this discussion, "power" means the average power or energy contained in a signal over a long period of time.

White noise has the same distribution of power for all frequencies, so there is the same amount of power between 0 and 500 Hz, 500 and 1,000 Hz or 20,000 and 20,500 Hz.

Pink noise has the same distribution of power for each octave, so the power between 0.5 Hz and 1 Hz is the same as between 5,000 Hz and 10,000 Hz.

Since power is proportional to amplitude squared, the energy per Hz will decline at higher frequencies at the rate of about -3dB per octave. To be absolutely precise, the rolloff should be -10dB/decade, which is about 3.0102999 dB/octave.

The distribution of energy in pink noise resembles the distribution of energy in acoustic instruments and voice. The distribution of energy in white noise reproduction asks a high frequency driver to handle a power level similar to that of mid and low frequency drivers – not a good thing unless you keep the overall level low. Either white or pink noise can be used, but pink is going to give a closer approximation of real-world use.

You can find more information on the web using your favorite search engine.

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited October 07, 2004).]

#26596 - 10/07/04 04:55 PM Re: Speaker Testing
Inertia4u Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS, USA (Near Incogni...
Thanks bestbang4thebuck,

Sometimes I forget about actual search engines on the internet.

From what I gather reading from the post that you gave, plus a couple of other websites, pink noise tends to be better for calibrating speaker db levels - which seems kind of odd because from what I remember, both AVIA and Digital Essentials each use white noise to help a person calibrate.

#26597 - 10/12/04 04:17 PM Re: Speaker Testing
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Incognito, I gather from your remark under another topic that the Onix Rockets got your vote. Do you have any remarks on the process and the results of your comparison that you would like to share?

#26598 - 10/12/04 04:38 PM Re: Speaker Testing
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita, KS
Sorry for not posting a huge review...but I made some comments, as well as my friend Nert, in another thread. I apologize if this isn't the way to link between threads, but it's in here:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/cgi-local/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000502

If that didn't work, it's under "Outlaw to Outlaw" and the threat "New speakers for my...combo" (or something like that). As I give these more of a listen, I will try to report any new thoughts or problems that occur. Most recently I am having problems getting the image right with them (diagnosed that it's probably due to my inperfect positioning, or a reflection somewhere). It's about there. I can best sum them up as warm, detailed (some say they have a roll off...I call it non-bright), and the sound stage is awesome! Now, I use to have old Definitive speakers, and I compared them to the Axiom M80's that had more detail than the Rockets. But, the cost was my ear drum. smile I love these speakers thus far. Combined with my Outlaw equipment...I'm one happy camper! I need a line conditioner, maybe a larger amp (using 7100 right now), and a big screen TV and I'm set.

If you have any questions in particular that you would like me to try to answer, I can do my best. I'm not as knowledgable as most on this board when it comes to inner workings of audio/video equipment. I only know what my eyes and ears tell me. wink

#26599 - 10/12/04 04:45 PM Re: Speaker Testing
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Guess I wasn't lookin' in the right places. Thanks for pointing me to your comments. We all have to live with our eyes and ears - in the end, that's what counts in our enjoyment!

#26600 - 10/12/04 05:00 PM Re: Speaker Testing
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Sorry. I probably put it in the wrong spot. That was the location where my bud Nert signed me up for a review. He's a great guy other than that. wink

I would be happy to try to give an explaination of them. It wasn't an easy comparison. The Axioms have a level of detail that I hadn't ever heard before. But, they can be so bright that it makes you flinch when a high note is reached. I have given that some thought though, and the M80's are for large rooms (mine was on the low end of their recommendation). The M60's they offer might be a very good speaker. I find it hard to believe that I would prefer them over the Rockets though. I am really liking the warmer feel of these speakers. And, you honestly don't lose much, if any, detail. They seem to blend together (what I call sound stage) better than the Axioms. That was pretty important to me. It really makes the music (haven't done enough testing with movies yet) come alive.

My buddy Nert has Paradigm and he says that they are between the Rockets and Axioms...so if you have the money...they could be a better choice. Given how happy I am with my Outlaw products...I started looking for Internet Direct manufacturers only, and found a few. I liked the two above, and gave them a listen. I hope that my comments on the two help if you are considering the same thing.

Sorry again for leading you all over the forums.

Incog

#26601 - 10/12/04 05:21 PM Re: Speaker Testing
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The Axiom's tweeters might need a bit of break-in time to help tone down the harshness, but even after such a break-in I can't see the difference affecting your overall conclusions. Like bb4b says - it's our own eyes and ears that count the most, and it sounds like the Rockets (which from all I've heard about them are great speakers) are just what you were looking for. From what you and Inertia4u have posted, it sounds like the testing was a great success.

#26602 - 10/13/04 12:06 AM Re: Speaker Testing
Incognito Offline
Gunslinger

Truthfully, I think anyone that is thinking of upgrading aught to listen to both...but especially the Rockets. I'm a little partial now...but they are quite nice. It's warm, yet detailed...and the louder you turn it up...the larger the sound stage gets, without becoming overwhelming. It's quite impressive. smile

Happy Listening all!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 83 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM