Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#26571 - 10/01/04 02:31 PM TV interferance with 950 turned on.
jamesman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Superior, Wi USA
I just received my 950/755/LFM-1 and got it up and running last week. Everything seems to work fine - actually, great! However, I am getting some very disturbing interferance on my TV when my system is on. There are constant wide, wavy, pulsating bands on lines throughout the screen. This occurs with regular and sat signals. They disappear as soon as I turn off the 950/755. This is not good, because I do watch a lot of movies via the satellite - the Dolby Digital is unbelievable!! Unfortunatly, the picture quality sucks! I have all my components, including my TV monitor running through a Monster HTS-3500, which I thought would provide "clean" power and signal throughout. Anyway, any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated. I do enjoy this system, but now I don't even use it when watching my TV. Oh, the DVD picture is perfect, no interferance. Thanks to all who respond.

#26572 - 10/01/04 02:59 PM Re: TV interferance with 950 turned on.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sounds like time to go back behind the equipment rack and police the cabling. If it is only affecting the satellite and over-the-air picture, check to make sure that the cable coming from the satellite dish isn't tangled up with some power cabling or speaker cables. If you want to outline how your gear is connected, that might also help.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#26573 - 10/02/04 06:40 PM Re: TV interferance with 950 turned on.
jamesman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk, thanks for your help. I'm happy to say I did find the "culprit" to my problem. I just started removing cables and wires one by one while my wife watched Dolly Parton with wide, wavy lines throughout. One by one, "lines still there?", "still there," ("can ya hear me now" kind of thing!). Anyway, finally she screams "that's it, there gone!" The culprit was my S-video cable out from my 950 to my TV. The only purpose of this cable is to bring up the 950-menu onto my monitor, which is nice but not really necessary. However, why would that cause an interferance? I'm baffled. Oh well, I'm just happy I can now watch a movie with my new sound system. So far, I am very pleased with this system - it sure brings a sense of realism to movies! Thanks again for your help.
JAMESMAN

#26574 - 10/02/04 08:18 PM Re: TV interferance with 950 turned on.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Most likely the s-video cable is either poorly shielded and/or resting too close to a power cable or something similar. Glad to hear you tracked it down, though.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#26575 - 10/03/04 12:06 AM Re: TV interferance with 950 turned on.
tekdredger Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Franklin, WI
jamesman,

My Toshiba RPTV doesn't like more than one type cable connected to any of the video inputs. In other words, composite video or S-video plugged into "Video 1" but not both. You didn't mention the model of your TV but I think this behavior is common among many brands and models. If this describes your scenario you could try plugging in the S-video cable into a different video jack on the TV if you have one available.

Hope this helps, maybe you can get the 950 menus back now too.

------------------
Tekdredger

#26576 - 10/03/04 07:32 PM Re: TV interferance with 950 turned on.
jamesman Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

tekdredger,
I think gonk was probably correct about the poor shielding of the S-cable. I had it connected to the video-2 input of my SONY HD set - plugged in all by its' lonesome. I do have a much higher quality S-cable I could try, but it's connected to my video-1 input for my DirectTV. Anyway, I certainly enjoyed "Hidalgo" last night in DD. I am very new to this "home theater" thing. I'm certainly no youngster, I've just had 2-channel for many, many years. In fact, I just gave my 20+ year-old Yamaha amp/pre-amp and a couple of RT20 Polks to my son. I must say I haven't quite acclimated to this 5.1 compared to my "old system." But, I think I like it! Thanks again for the help.
JAMESMAN

Who's Online
0 registered (), 125 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM