Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2644 - 08/18/02 09:33 AM Audio Dropout
ZOOCOW Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA , USA
I know there has been talk on the BB about this before, but I was wondering if anyone has a solution or an answer to this.

I was watching The Lord of The Rings (DD ES) yesterday and experienced several parts of 2 second audio drop outs. I had my center rear channel turned on.

I have the 1050 hooked up to my Toshiba 4700 DVD player through the Outlaw Optical cable.

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem.

Thanks

#2645 - 08/18/02 01:41 PM Re: Audio Dropout
Bri Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Riverside,CA
The Optical droupouts on this unit have me extremely displeased.

I have tried numerous cables, and two separate DVD players and still I'm often embarrased buy the "droupouts".

I'm about ready to give up on this unit.

-Bri

#2646 - 08/18/02 02:10 PM Re: Audio Dropout
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm a little confused on this one. The only "common" dropout problem the 1050 has had that I'm aware of was the improper EX flag on a few DVD's. With the center rear channel on, ZOOCOW shouldn't have experienced that problem at all (especially since I would hope that LotR would have had the EX flag handled correctly).

Bri, have you been talking with the Outlaws on this one? Are your problems related solely to the optical digital inputs (or does the coaxial also exhibit the problem)?

ZOOCOW, I'd certainly give Outlaw a call Monday and quiz them on it. If you have a coax digital cable handy, you might also see if you get the same trouble on the coax input.

Wish I could be of more help...

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#2647 - 08/18/02 03:18 PM Re: Audio Dropout
Bri Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Riverside,CA
Thank you for your concern Gonk.
I watched LotR and experienced no audio dropouts while utilizing the Coaxial inputs.

I do have the non-existent 6th speaker enabled. I only experience intermittent dropouts while using the Optical. Coax appears to function correctly. I'm vaguely familiar with the "bad flag" issue. Last night the dropouts occurred during Pixar's "Bugs Life". Is this title known to have bad flags? And if it does have bad flags, why does the sound not drop while utilizing the coax connection?

A few weeks ago I did contact the Outlaws and they suggested I try different DVD Players and cables, so I did (to no avail). Looks like I will contact them again this week.

I must say that I am duly impressed with both the sound quality and quantity this unit produces as well as the features it offers based on its price point. But the Optical dropouts are definitely the fly in the ointment.

-Bri

#2648 - 08/18/02 03:29 PM Re: Audio Dropout
kugumby Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: St. Louis, MO USA
I experienced the same thing very early on after I bought my unit. I called the Outlaws and was also told to try a different optical cable or try the coax input. That fixed the problem, (the coax input) so that's what I use.

This was prior to the flag issue that is fixable by turning on your center surround. After this was discussed again a while back, I decided to try the optical input again. It still has the same problem. (Not that I thought it would magically fix itself.) It doesn't happen on every DVD either. Just a few of them.

My opt2 input seems to work fine. That's what I have my Dishnetwork hooked up too. No dropouts even on HBO's DD broadcasts.

So apparently, there are a few of us out there that are experiencing the same thing.

#2649 - 08/18/02 07:10 PM Re: Audio Dropout
ZOOCOW Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for your suggestions Gonk and Kugumby. I don't have a digital coax but I will try the second optical input. Hope that helps.

Time to move the entertainment center....errr.

#2650 - 08/18/02 09:10 PM Re: Audio Dropout
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
FWIW, I'm using the coax for my DVD digital feed, but OPT2 (no real reason for 2 over 1, just happened to be the one I hooked up first) for my satellite. Haven't had any problems with audio drop outs at all (and I've watched FOTR twice already, along w/ once through all the extras). I've also gone through Atlantis a few times with no drop outs either.

Also, I have the sixth channel in use.

#2651 - 08/19/02 09:24 PM Re: Audio Dropout
ZOOCOW Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Watched the second half of TLOTR yesterday using the OPT2 digital input. I did not experience any audio drop out using this input. Weird, but I hope the problem is solved.

I just don't understand how it could be an input problem.

#2652 - 10/30/02 08:01 AM Re: Audio Dropout
DanKaps Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Omaha, NE
ZOOCOW,

I also have "embarrasing" sound drop-out problems with the Tosh SD4700. I experience dropouts during LOTR, Oceans Eleven and SW Episode One. I'm aware of the bad flag issue with Atlantis for example, so I'm sure my dropouts are not related. I get them when using the coax or optical input (not sure which optical however).

I never had a problem until I replaced an older Toshiba with the 4700. I assumed the problem was with the player. It's in the shop right now (has been for 4 weeks) and they report no problems with it so far. I've since replaced it with a Panny RP82 which is dynamite and I have no dropout problems with it. I wonder if THIS problem only bears its head with the 4700/1050 combo for some reason.

Outlaws,

Since I've replaced the 4700, if I get it back and I still experience dropouts, if you'd like, I can send it to you and you could trouble shoot the problem to maybe see where the "incompatibility" lies.

#2653 - 10/30/02 10:31 AM Re: Audio Dropout
AJZepp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Flowery Branch, GA
Forgive the stupid question here, but what exactly does a 'dropout' sound like? I get the impression it's not a subtle thing....does the overall sound just go out for a short time? Is it only from one speaker? Basically, I am wondering if I'd clearly know if and when my system ever did this. Thanks
7075 Amp
950 PrePro (2003-2010)
975 PrePro (2012-Present)
Outlaw ICs (2003-Present)
M8 Subwoofer (2011-Present)
???

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM