Loc: Sparks, NV
Help!,
I have changed my set up want to hook all this together,
please bear with me.
how would you do this?
I have the Outlaw 950/7100 and
"efficient" Zingali 93db speakers for front three speakers,
Atlantic technology for the rear 4 surround speakers

2 channel set up is a Space tech labs tubed system. The pre-amp only has a 2 inputs, a cd input and a Aux input

it controls bi-amped tube amplifier set up, separate SET amp for the horns, and hybrid amp for the bass.

the 7100 drives the remaining 5 channels, and I have been using the left over 2 channels for the 2nd Zone.

So when I listen to 2 channel, I do not have the 950/7100 in use at all, but when I watch movies in Dolby etc HT, I need to send a signal from the 950 to my aux pre amp input, so that I get a signal to the bi amped amplifiers that drive the main two speakers.
Which output do I use from the 950??
the rec out or the multichannel out??, other?
any other options?

2nd question, where is the "dot" that indicates blue dot versus red dot, I get quite a bit of hum using the 950, and also hum from the 7100. I have checked grounding by way of a cheater plug (made no difference), have dedicated circuits with no florescents lights or dimmers in the set up. Amps on one circuit , electronics on another dedicated circuit.
I bought the combo from another owner via Audiogon. Probably a late 2002 or early 2003 models. If I have red dot will Outlaw still take it in and "fix" it?

Overall the Outlaw set up has been a nice upgrade from my previous NAD T761 receiver. But the "hum" bothers me a bunch.

Thanks for your time

Ron

I have the

#26494 - 09/07/04 10:05 PM Re: how hook all this up
dcktr Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sparks, NV
ok, I did not do my homework, I realize there many posts on hiss,
I first need to move my cables around, as my power cables are very close to interconnects. But I do need to know where the "dot" is to see if I have red versus blue dot
Thanks
Ron

#26495 - 09/08/04 12:18 AM Re: how hook all this up
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Well, first, let's kick the "dot" issue around. The only 950's that actually have a dot of any kind on them are replacement units sent to early owners, in which case the dot is a sticker next to the serial number. The date of purchase is pretty critical here - if it was purchased new after December 17, 2002, it is a production unit that will have no dot but includes the final (blue dot) revision. If it was purchased in the fall of 2002 (making it a "red dot" design) and not subsequently exchanged for a blue dot, it will again have no sticker. The best bet is to either ask the seller for the exact purchase date or to contact Outlaw with the serial number. If it is a red dot, Outlaw will cover updating it to the blue dot revision under the five year transferrable warranty. As you've already noted, policing cables and checking on possible problem sources (including cable TV if you have that anywhere in the system) is an important step in dealing with any hum problems - I've had hum problems caused by power cables getting in the way a couple of times.

As for hooking your system up, I can toss out one suggestion. You're using a separate tube pre-amp and amp for the left and right channels, so leave that setup as is. Presumably you have a good analog source of some sort connected to this (phono or analog output from a CD player). Connect the left and right pre-amp outputs of the 950 to one of the tube pre-amp inputs, then connect the other five pre-amp outputs to the 7100 and connect your DVD player and other sources to the 950. When using the 950, you'll need to set the tube pre-amp to a pre-defined volume setting (which you will use when calibrating all of the speaker channels).

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

Who's Online
0 registered (), 135 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts