Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#26396 - 08/27/04 01:32 AM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
All good stuff!

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#26397 - 08/27/04 05:48 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

I have four subs.

But they're not all equal.

Two are very good. One is good. And one is ok.

Since I can't divide the goodness evenly between them, am I in trouble? Do I need to re-calibrate for the uneven distribution of goodness? I'm having trouble finding goodness correction curves in my old engineering textbooks. I guess I'm beyond help.

Jeff Mackwood

#26398 - 08/27/04 06:18 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
MCH Offline
Gunslinger

I have one 15" sub and it equals 100%! I was listening to Peter Gabriel Up (SACD) in 2 channel (I prefer the 2 channel over the multichannel in this offering) and it absolutely blows me away. In my younger days, drug enhanced listening sessions could not even compare with the aural euphoria I experienced.
But then everything is very subjective in this audio game. One man's garbage is another man's treasure.
I'm sure there are many levels of bliss in the quality of hardware and quality of recordings, but there is absolutely NO BLISS without music!!!

#26399 - 08/28/04 01:19 AM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
Tony S Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Montclair, NJ , Essex
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
right now i have 1 subwoofer for lfe. i have 2 others that i use for the lows for my fronts, but not for lfe directly. this doesnt count built-in subs that are in some of my speakers.

I get back to the club after a long time out on the boat, and what did I miss here?

You got so many subs, that you have to put them in your speakers too? You said that you only need "ONE GREAT SUB" so many times that I gave away the two subs I had on the boat. What a mistake that was... horrible mistake. And you got how many now? Did you have these all the time, or did you just learn something here? And you know, that bigger sweet spot stuff matters if you have friends.

It's hurricane season, so make sure all the subs are protected againt the storms they are predicting this year. The weather can get really ugly down in Raleigh.

[This message has been edited by Tony S (edited August 28, 2004).]

#26400 - 08/28/04 01:32 AM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
musiciseverything Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
It really is alot of fun to listen/watch you guys banter about, but a few questions from someone who loves music but is a little dumb about physics/acoustical engineering/the space=time continuum.....

How do you EQ 2 subs? independently or at the same time?

How do you separate one sub for LFE for movies and one for music?

Is it more complex to have a room with four walls and ceiling and floor, or a room with a large opening? Anyone been to a huge concert hall or outdoor concert?

With subs coming down in price it is possible to get two subs for what used to be the price of one, so do you buy two of the same or do you try for two subs with different characteristics?

Sorry to keep a thread alive long after it should have been shot and buried, but these are things which I have not seen addressed yet.

Thanks for the entertainment!!

[This message has been edited by musiciseverything (edited August 28, 2004).]

#26401 - 08/28/04 09:38 AM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
Quote:
Originally posted by musiciseverything:
It really is alot of fun to listen/watch you guys banter about, but a few questions from someone who loves music but is a little dumb about physics/acoustical engineering/the space=time continuum.....

How do you EQ 2 subs? independently or at the same time?

How do you separate one sub for LFE for movies and one for music?

Is it more complex to have a room with four walls and ceiling and floor, or a room with a large opening? Anyone been to a huge concert hall or outdoor concert?

With subs coming down in price it is possible to get two subs for what used to be the price of one, so do you buy two of the same or do you try for two subs with different characteristics?

Sorry to keep a thread alive long after it should have been shot and buried, but these are things which I have not seen addressed yet.

Thanks for the entertainment!!

[This message has been edited by musiciseverything (edited August 28, 2004).]

Assumming you have a 950 Pre/Pro and and SACD and/or DVD-A capable player:

Set all speakers to 'large' and SW to 'yes' in the Player.

Run the analog SW output of the Player to the LFE sub.

Run the remaining 5 analog cables to the 950.

Switch the 950's analog BM to 'On'.

Run the 950's SW output to the redirected bass subwoofer.

Let the player do the decoding and set the 950 to 6 CH BYPASS.

You now have LFE only going to the LFE sub and 80 Hz and below from the sats only going to the RB sub.

Use the appropriate sub for each duty. Calibrate the RB sub's placement, phase and level, then the LFE sub.

That's 1 way to do it. There are other routing schemes.

#26402 - 08/28/04 10:35 AM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
yep, ive had one for lfe and two to compliment my mains for a few years now. i used to have 4 for lfe and 11 (one for each speaker) others. that was back when we had a seperate theatre house. things have changed since then, we've moved, i have lost a little interest in audio, etc. anyway.

my lfe sub is velodyne hgsII-18, the other two are velodyne hgsII-10 (clear acrylic housing). some of my polk speakers have built-in subs, but they are more mid-range than anything.

like i said, if i took out the two 10s, i wouldnt be losing much. how do i know, because i have tried it! just like i have tried multiple subs of equal quality spaced around, vs one that is much better.

by agreeing with other people's articles and philosophies, you can gain a moderate grasp of audio theory, but if you never try to put that theory into play, then you will never get above that moderate grasp. perhaps some people like that idea, what you dont know can make you a lot happier, cant it?

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#26403 - 08/28/04 11:39 AM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:

by agreeing with other people's articles and philosophies, you can gain a moderate grasp of audio theory, but if you never try to put that theory into play, then you will never get above that moderate grasp. perhaps some people like that idea, what you dont know can make you a lot happier, cant it?

Food for thought. Food for thought.

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#26404 - 09/03/04 04:53 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
pbc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

At the risk of drawing out a thread that's already near the breaking point I am going to weigh in here.....

One benefit of the using multiple subs that I don't think has been mentioned here is that by doubling or quadrupling the number of drivers, the excursion required to reproduced a given frequency and SPL, the excursion of each is greatly reduced. This reduces several types of distortion, and is the basic principle behind line arrays. If the burden of generating absolute SPL is reduced for individual drivers, the fidelity will be increased. This is one reason quality headphones are so accurate. So in this way at least, two or more cheaper drivers can produce a qualitative and not just quantitative improvement.

#26405 - 09/05/04 08:31 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
more drivers does not equal lower frequency... is that what you were trying to say, along with more spl? i hope not. more spl does not equal quality either...

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM