Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#26346 - 08/12/04 01:18 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by pleary:
Soundhound is insane.

So are DollarBill and bestbang4thebuck if that’s the case.

soundhound would be insane times two since he has 4 subwoofers.

#26347 - 08/12/04 02:13 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
I have 4 drivers as subwoofers, but those are built into the mains. I still want more. sh has 4 18" subs.

#26348 - 08/12/04 05:09 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Woo Hoo! I am happy in my insanity! How about you? Happy, happy, happy, happy ...

#26349 - 08/12/04 10:47 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
The worst part is Soundhound is not the kind of person you would think of with 4-18" subs(not part of the Hip-Hop culture)Tubes and Hip-Hop.........OUCH!!! Now thats insane.

Lasher

#26350 - 08/12/04 11:40 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
save your money for 1 twice as good.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#26351 - 08/13/04 01:26 AM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Yes, I realized later on last night that shoot, another sub isn't going to help the nulls higher than 60 Hz.

I actually did figure out that I have suitable locations at 1/2 the distance along the longest walls that might work.

My nulls might look worse than normal, because ETF is actually testing every 1.46 Hz or so. Much finer resolution than a 1/6 octave test disc for example.

One thing I will report back on: this was a 2.1 test. Both L & R and the sub firing. I need to do L & sub, then R & sub separately. Maybe I'm getting some comb filtering between the mains.

If this helps, I'm using Vandersteen's suggestion for sub and seating placement. (Even though I have Mirage's now. ) He says: start at thirds. Seating 2/3 back from the front wall, and speakers 1/3. That's too far into my room, and he goes on to say, you can also use 1/5, 1/7, etc. I'm at 1/7 for the speakers.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#26352 - 08/13/04 11:58 AM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by pleary:
Soundhound is insane.

You're gonna have to speak up - I can't hear you above all the bass......

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#26353 - 08/13/04 01:15 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
Spiker Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
save your money for 1 twice as good.

Price alone doesn’t tell and it shouldn’t be a deciding factor. So, I’m wondering, how can a buyer figure out that subwoofer “A” is twice as good as subwoofer “B”? If I’m going for dual subs but find out that one sub of twice the quality is better than two subs of initial choice, I sure don’t want to spend all that money and end up with a sub that’s only one and a half times as good which will miss both targets (dual subs or one very good sub).

This is very risky unless there’s a clear and unbiased guideline on how to rate subwoofers.

#26354 - 08/13/04 02:01 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Subs are evaluated in the same way as any other speaker. Look for the best bass extension, with the most output at that frequency, and smooth response from that point up to the crossover frequency. Be realistic too - you aren't going to get solid 20Hz response at any useful output level from a cheap subwoofer that uses an 8" driver.

The amplifiers used in subs are well matched to their drivers, so I wouldn't let the little details about amplifier class or buzzwords sway you one way or the other.

Multiple subs provide more output and because of mutual coupling between them, have a better low frequency extension than one of the subs alone, and can deal with room problems in some cases.

You could spend all the money in the world on a sub, but if you have a problem room, all that money is wasted. In a situation such as this, two lesser cost subs might be better than one super expensive one. You must evaluate your room first to see if there is the potential of strong room nodes causing problems, such if you have a perfectly square room.

------------------
The Soundhound Theater

#26355 - 08/13/04 07:33 PM Re: More than 1 subwoofer ???
bossobass Offline
Desperado

Loc: charlotte, nc usa
I use 1/12th octave 'notes'. The western musical scale, from A (27.5 Hz) to Middle C (261.63).

Those are the only tones that matter because those are the notes that play (A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#).

I use this disc for my redirected bass sub, and a standard 1/12th octave test tone disc for the LFE sub (from 10 Hz. to 120 Hz.).

I'm +4dB/-3dB from 12 Hz up, in-room, at the LP, no PEQ used.

RB sub: 2X15, sealed, L/T, 3,200 watts. (anechoic response to 25 Hz, -3dB)

LFE sub: 2X15, sealed, L/T, 4,200 watts (anecoic response to 18 Hz, -3dB)

I run the LFE sub off the analog SW out of the player, run my 950 in 6CH BYPASS (analog BM switch to 'ON') and run the RB sub off the 950's SW out, which only contains redirected bass because the 950 doesn't have any LFE input in the first place.

I'd like to say that I still love the 950's features/sonics/price/warranty...and this forum.

I have the subs colocated, about 3.5 feet from the front right corner, against the right wall.

I arrived at this spot after many different location tries and many more minute changes around the spot they reside in now.

I also have an outboard analog low freqs tweaker preamp that I designed and had Marchand build to tweak phase settings, gain, slopes (which I arrive at by cascading filters, as the player's LFE filter and the 950's analog filter are both global) and adjustment of the 'Q'.

Sounds all big and complex, but the high power is to counter the smallish size (hate big subs), and the tweaks are really quite simple, once the initial settings for flat response are arrived at.

How's it all sound? Man...I'm in there listening every day.

KCB...keep me informed...always interested in what you're up to (like the Mirages, for example).

Soundhound is actually quite sane, (most awesome media room I know of) just a bit crusty in his old age

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 132 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM