Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#26289 - 07/22/04 02:31 AM Scoop: new Outlaw pre/pros coming?
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#26290 - 07/22/04 01:32 PM Re: Scoop: new Outlaw pre/pros coming?
admin Offline

Gunslinger

We note with interest the recent discussion both in the Saloon and elsewhere that speculates about our plans for future processor products. In order to avoid any confusion on this subject, we would like to offer the following comments:

Although we have often stated that we are working on a new, advanced design preamp/processor, the release of any such product is still some time off in the distance.

It is way too early to discuss the features and specifications of a product that is that far off. However, we can say that our feature list for a future processor preamp will include AT LEAST three important features requested by you that are not shown on this list. Conversely, there are some features on that list which will not be part of any new product. This is our specific way to avoid extraneous "feature creep" that some have already pointed out in our Saloon.

That alone, should let you know that while we are working on a new product, this isn’t it. (A simple comparison of the Eastech models to what we have already shown in our announcement of the Model 1070 should provide some indicators of our approach.)

Any new product that we release will be the result of considerable design and engineering work by the Outlaws in co-operation with a factory and production team selected to manufacture the product. While it is no secret that we have worked with Eastech to develop some of our products, they are by no means the only manufacturer that we have - or will - work with.

As an OEM supplier, companies such as Eastech often create PLANS for products such as the one referred to, as "trial balloons" to see if it will interest any of their customers. The mere fact that Eastech shows something in a preliminary fashion that has appeared on their web site since December, should not be taken as an indication that the Outlaws, or anyone else will actually bring it to market. Put another way, in language common in the electronics and computer industry, you might say that the spec sheets on Eastech’s web site are "Vaporware." Or, as those of you who fish might say, that are bait put out to see if fish (in this case, consumer electronics corporate buyers) would be reeled in. The Outlaws are NOT on that hook.

We hope that this helps to answer the questions we have seen both here and elsewhere about our product plans. To make it clear:

YES, we are developing a new processor, but it will not be shipped any time soon.

NO, the proposed Eastech models are NOT Outlaw products, or possibly anyone else’s.

Regards

The Outlaws

Note: We have posted these comments in this thread twice. Once as the second post so that any new readers will see our comments immediately following the original post. For those who have already begun a discussion based on the original post we have included our comments again at the very end. We are now closing this thread as no further discussion is necessary. However, if you would like to continue to discuss the features and specifications of a future Outlaw processor we encourage you to do so in the "New Product Suggestions" forum.

#26291 - 07/22/04 08:04 AM Re: Scoop: new Outlaw pre/pros coming?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Interesting couple of files there, Kevin. They have some intriguing features: eight-channel analog input with ADC's (presumably defeatable), digital video upconversion, and THX Ultra2. What's strange to me is that the 970 uses a new layout for the faceplate while the 970M uses the layout taken directly from the Model 950 except for the addition of an LCD panel - both units have the same feature list otherwise (all the way down to the analog/digital inputs being repeated in the second column).

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#26292 - 07/22/04 10:32 AM Re: Scoop: new Outlaw pre/pros coming?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i sincerely hope that outlaw does not go the route of first offering great valued based products to establish a reputation and then gradually increasing prices while putting more bells and whistles into their gear. i have seen that a lot with internet based companies and i can clearly see why that is a trend, but i must say that it is disappointing. i guess they should remember, those that giveth can taketh away. just my thoughts...

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#26293 - 07/22/04 11:15 AM Re: Scoop: new Outlaw pre/pros coming?
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
I agree.....keep the products value-based with the emphasis on bang-for-the-buck. Not all Outlaws have the ability to upgrade as often as they'd like. My wife STILL brings up the fact that I spent $550 on my 1050 behind her back, and that was in 2001. Fortunately I sold my Marantz receiver for $250 before I ordered it and took a bit of the "sting" off the ol' Visa! Even if my wife worked I'd have a hard time getting her approval, so PLEASE Outlaw, keep things within reach of the average Joe.

#26294 - 07/22/04 11:22 AM Re: Scoop: new Outlaw pre/pros coming?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Anything is possible, of course, but I suspect that Outlaw will stay with their tradition of being selective about "bells & whistles" and keeping prices as low as they can. A couple things that occur to me when looking at these Eastech designs: (1) there's no pricing tied to any of it, (2) there's no link to Outlaw yet, (3) Outlaw's previous Eastech-produced designs were all developed in a partnership between the two companies with Eastech refraining from releasing details until Outlaw was ready for them to do so, and (4) there are a lot of Eastech designs in existence that are not part of Outlaw's product line.

I would not be surprised to see Outlaw turn to Eastech to manufacture a successor to the 950 for release in the next 12 to 24 months (incorporating features from the 1070 like DVI switching and Pro Logic IIx), but I doubt that they would elect to simply pull an Eastech design off the shelf and slap an Outlaw logo on it. These PRO-970 units are almost certainly an evolution of the 950 design (hence the "970" naming), but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is a partnership with Outlaw. In fact, the description reads more like an OEM "here's the basics, change it up however you want" design - adjustable numbers of analog and digital inputs, unspecified number of video inputs, the option for THX certification, ...

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#26295 - 07/22/04 11:32 AM Re: Scoop: new Outlaw pre/pros coming?
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Don't forget that if we want updated features and/or a high end unit to the 950 it's going to have more/newer stuff on it. That seems simple, but sometimes people forget that become too worked up about it.

#26296 - 07/22/04 01:32 PM Re: Scoop: new Outlaw pre/pros coming?
admin Offline

Gunslinger

We note with interest the recent discussion both in the Saloon and elsewhere that speculates about our plans for future processor products. In order to avoid any confusion on this subject, we would like to offer the following comments:

Although we have often stated that we are working on a new, advanced design preamp/processor, the release of any such product is still some time off in the distance.

It is way too early to discuss the features and specifications of a product that is that far off. However, we can say that our feature list for a future processor preamp will include AT LEAST three important features requested by you that are not shown on this list. Conversely, there are some features on that list which will not be part of any new product. This is our specific way to avoid extraneous "feature creep" that some have already pointed out in our Saloon.

That alone, should let you know that while we are working on a new product, this isn’t it. (A simple comparison of the Eastech models to what we have already shown in our announcement of the Model 1070 should provide some indicators of our approach.)

Any new product that we release will be the result of considerable design and engineering work by the Outlaws in co-operation with a factory and production team selected to manufacture the product. While it is no secret that we have worked with Eastech to develop some of our products, they are by no means the only manufacturer that we have - or will - work with.

As an OEM supplier, companies such as Eastech often create PLANS for products such as the one referred to, as "trial balloons" to see if it will interest any of their customers. The mere fact that Eastech shows something in a preliminary fashion that has appeared on their web site since December, should not be taken as an indication that the Outlaws, or anyone else will actually bring it to market. Put another way, in language common in the electronics and computer industry, you might say that the spec sheets on Eastech’s web site are "Vaporware." Or, as those of you who fish might say, that are bait put out to see if fish (in this case, consumer electronics corporate buyers) would be reeled in. The Outlaws are NOT on that hook.

We hope that this helps to answer the questions we have seen both here and elsewhere about our product plans. To make it clear:

YES, we are developing a new processor, but it will not be shipped any time soon.

NO, the proposed Eastech models are NOT Outlaw products, or possibly anyone else’s.

Regards

The Outlaws

Note: We have posted these comments in this thread twice. Once as the second post so that any new readers will see our comments immediately following the original post. For those who have already begun a discussion based on the original post we have included our comments again at the very end. We are now closing this thread as no further discussion is necessary. However, if you would like to continue to discuss the features and specifications of a future Outlaw processor we encourage you to do so in the "New Product Suggestions" forum.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 77 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts