Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#26279 - 07/19/04 03:56 PM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Personally, I don’t subscribe to the idea that what is good for music is bad for HT. I think striving for accuracy serves both purposes well. I’m assuming that good for music does not mean ‘colors the sound or applies the corrective measures I like,’ but instead means ‘closest to the recorded sound possible, even if I disagree with the way the recording was made.’ I think that great reproduction of fine music had previously been more difficult to obtain than general HT audio has been, but this has changed. I don’t mean that it has gotten easier to reproduce music, I’m saying it’s become more difficult to bring out HT audio in the fashion it now deserves. Some theatrical film/DVD release audio is very finely done and a HT system with reasonable accuracy that reveals audio nuance is a benefit. Of course, whether HT or music, a system that brings out nuance in a fine recording is going to reveal the problems in a poor recording as well. Additionally, if one is going to eventually be listening to multi-channel SACD or DVD-A, then one may wish to have as much accuracy in the whole system as possible within reason.

Of these three goals in a loudspeaker: sensitivity (efficient at turning watts into decibels), accuracy, and convenience (usually means fitting into the environment in a way that at least partly satisfies a significant other, i.e. smaller is better), it seems we can approach only two goals at a time – in some cases only one of these goals, such as the very small sat-sub systems. The priority order that suits my situation is accuracy first, convenience second, sensitivity third. This meant I eventually spent more money to gain additional wattage because I did not have sensitivity. Other situations, like a dedicated HT and/or a spouse with an appetite for function over form, may allow for an order such as accuracy, sensitivity, and then convenience.

So, if you’ve got to start somewhere other than all-at-once, go for the best/accurate music reproduction that is reasonable for you. Then add HT in a manner that reasonably approaches your music quality.

Most people end up building their system in phases. Think of how you would like the system to end up. Then think of the stages you will use to get there.

Not that what I did will be the perfect method for you, but initially I spent most of my budget on the front three speakers and what was a good sub at the time. I went middle-of-the-road in a receiver, and cheap on my surrounds. Over a year later I upgraded my surrounds when I found used gear that matched my existing fronts. Many months after that, I purchased Outlaw separates for pre/pro and amp. Months later I sold my original sub and went to dual subs cabled for stereo operation. Almost a year after that, I added SACD/DVD-A capability, but not high-end yet – I think the material available in those formats is still maturing.

If, in pursuing such a process, the gear that ends up not being in your system is of the type that would appeal to the general consumer, you can sell and recoup some of your initial investment in the ‘temporary’ gear. Or you could retire that gear to an alternate location, or give to a relative that liked listening to your system the way it was before your upgrades.

… Hope you found this helpful …

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited July 19, 2004).]

#26280 - 07/19/04 05:00 PM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Cadboy:
gonk /gonk/ vi.,n. .....
Don't know why you ended up with that nickname?

Alternate definition, actually. Gonk is also another name for a power droid from Star Wars. The PC that I used in college bore a cursory resemblance to this droid, so we named the PC "gonk." I borrowed the name when I set up a user name at another web forum.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited July 19, 2004).]

#26281 - 07/20/04 10:39 AM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Ahhhhh.....the mud is clearing now! (I personally like the term "Gonkulator")

#26282 - 07/21/04 04:07 PM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
Cadboy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
bschott,

I found some speakers at www.bicamerica.com Go to their Acoustech line link. A complete 5.1 system for around $1200. They are nearly identical to Klipsch reference series in driver configuration, but have better cosmetics, better sound and cost about half as much! They are sold through Costco.

#26283 - 07/21/04 05:16 PM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
let me rank the importance of your HT components:
1.tv
2.center speaker
3.subwoofer(s)
4.front speakers
5.processor
6.amp
7.surround speakers
8.dvd/cd player (note if seeking dvd-a/sacd, then this would be higher, but they are not ht formats, so 8th it is)
9.surge protector
10.cables/other accessories

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#26284 - 07/22/04 05:39 PM Re: Newbie -- be gentle
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
let me rank the importance of your HT components

"Let me rank the importance of your HT components?"

Gently I say, “I think not.”

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 106 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts