Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#26112 - 06/23/04 05:25 PM Re: Toslink to Coax Conversion
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Obviously, the KISS engineering principle remains fundamentally sound, but comparing component video switching (involving a high bandwidth analog signal) to a format switch from electrical to optical with a digital signal is stretching beyond reasonableness.

Here's another way to look at it: any time you have an optical digital audio cable, there has to be a conversion to optical signal and back at either end of the optical cable. This conversion is one of the most common reasons that some people prefer coaxial digital audio, although many people also make the (very valid) claim that the conversion process is for all reasonable intents and purposes lossless. Going to an optical/coaxial converter is (aside from the coaxial digital audio cable) no different than using an optical cable to begin with.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#26113 - 06/23/04 05:37 PM Re: Toslink to Coax Conversion
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
>>>reasonableness<<<<

Hmmmmm......

Anyway, there is no real "conversion" of the data, only of the data format in the optical to electrical translation process. As Gonk said, the video issue does not apply here since in that case we would be dealing with analog signals of very high frequency which need a very clean and controlled signal path. Digital video data would behave like digital audio data and it would be extremely immune to degredation. Data formats are converted constantly - take the internet for instance, and yet you don't see massive errors for the same reason you don't see massive errors in digital audio - error correction schemes.

#26114 - 06/23/04 05:47 PM Re: Toslink to Coax Conversion
JAMMINJC Offline
Gunslinger

To drhb- for me the DIP upsamlper was a cheap tweek, I have spent that much or more on some cables. I didn't do any blind testing, just my ears. In my rig, the change in sound was very noticeable. The DIP is not just a converter, it lowers jitter and upsamples. But you will have to make the upgrade decision for yourself.

#26115 - 06/23/04 06:44 PM Re: Toslink to Coax Conversion
drhb Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: New City, NY USA
I would have to agree with Gonk, in that on our field installs of a/v systems, nothing in the way of signal loss was noticed, (obviously not via double blind testing...), and moreover, logic suggests that conversion loss is a moot point since, as noted by Gonk, the conversion would occur anyway, at both ends of the toslink connection. Just wanted to get a consensus of what others thought....

#26116 - 06/23/04 06:52 PM Re: Toslink to Coax Conversion
Cliff Watson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Augusta, GA
”Data formats are converted constantly - take the internet for instance, and yet you don't see massive errors for the same reason you don't see massive errors in digital audio - error correction schemes.”

Digital audio (S/PDIF) does not use error correction. The S/PDIF receiver/decoder uses error concealment by repeating the last known good bit from a small buffer (up to 20 bits before dropping a frame) or in the case of a bad CRC a dropped 32 mSec audio frame.

#26117 - 06/23/04 08:06 PM Re: Toslink to Coax Conversion
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson:

Digital audio (S/PDIF) does not use error correction. The S/PDIF receiver/decoder uses error concealment by repeating the last known good bit from a small buffer (up to 20 bits before dropping a frame) or in the case of a bad CRC a dropped 32 mSec audio frame.

Point taken, but I wasn't talking specifically about S/PDIF, but just in general terms that errors get corrected (or concealed, nullified, adjusted, un-modified, made good or whatever).

Hey, this ain't the IEEE bulletin board and some shooting from the hip is allowed in the process of making a general point for a general audience.

#26118 - 06/24/04 11:34 PM Re: Toslink to Coax Conversion
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
dig. coax would avoid the 2 conversions that optical creates...

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts