Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2604 - 08/09/02 03:49 PM I've sat on the fence too long.
speed3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Westbrook, Maine, US
I've been waiting to see if Outlaw would be updating the 1050 to include such features as DTS-ES, DPLII, DD-EX, and maybe a little more power for the past 6 months hoping that each new product would be an updated version. Well, it hasn't happened and in the meantime, every other manufacturer has caught up and gone by. I was just surfing the net at the likes of Marantz 7200, Denon 2802, and Onkyo TXSR 700 when I ran into an incredible deal. $632 including shipping from an authorized dealer for a TXSR 700!?! More power, more features, all from a respected company worldwide. I guess I'll be ordering one next week. I've always liked the Onkyo sound and have never heard the Outlaw. I'm sure it's nice, and I'd like to go with the little guy, but this is such a good deal and is everything I am looking for.

#2605 - 08/09/02 04:32 PM Re: I've sat on the fence too long.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Sounds like a good move to make to get the features you want. We have nothing concrete from Outlaw, but I would not expect the 1050 to be replaced before 2003 (probably 9+ months away). That's pretty much a SWAG (scientific wild-ass guess) on my part, but unless they have something really well hidden up their sleeve I can't see them getting a replacement in production and in stock before spring of next year at the earliest. If you know and like Onkyo sound, you should be set with the TXSR 700.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#2606 - 08/09/02 04:43 PM Re: I've sat on the fence too long.
charlie Offline
Desperado

IMO Outlaw could use a minor touch up to the 1050 (1055 ?) as well as a slightly higher end unit to bridge the $500<->$2000 gap.

Charlie

#2607 - 08/10/02 09:15 AM Re: I've sat on the fence too long.
boscofats Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Baltimore,MD.,USA
I beleive there are many buyers out there that would hold off purchase of another brand of receiver if Outlaw would come out with a plan to improve the 1050. The key word is improve - not retool. The question now becomes can the 1050 be upgraded without a major design/build?
The only analogy I can think of is a design change in an automobile. The 1st year has no ABS, no cruise control, no side air bags. The 2nd year the car looks identical but has those features. The cost and time for the redesign should be minimal. If they added fins, and a new V-8, and bucket seats, there would be major costs and a longer time frame to build. I apologize for being so simplistic but it helps to put things in perspective for me. So would the new model changes be easy or difficult?
Once again thanks to all for the info I've gained by reading the forum over the year.
BTW I like 57 chevy's!

#2608 - 08/10/02 12:35 PM Re: I've sat on the fence too long.
charlie Offline
Desperado

You raise a good point. If the chips (DSP, etc) used in the 1050 have been replaced or surpassed with newer, better but pin compatible parts (as often happens) it might be a matter of firmware + part substitution + new model number.

Charlie

#2609 - 08/10/02 01:24 PM Re: I've sat on the fence too long.
e-dogg Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: OHIO
Even though I choose the 1050 over a more feature laden model, Im begining to realize how important it is to many potential customers.But if I were OUTLAW I would keep selling the 1050 as is untill it stops turning a profit. Last time I read any thing about its sales it was still going strong, better then expected. Maybe when that piont is reached DD or DTS may have created newer systems yet to enhance a retooled 1050 even more.

#2610 - 08/10/02 11:56 PM Re: I've sat on the fence too long.
clombardi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego
e-DOGG-
That is the way you loose market share. I think (from the postings) that OUTLAW is a little to fat and happy with their 1050 and that they seem to think that it's fine. From my observations, more and more people have to turn to another company to fill their needs because OUTLAW will not upgrade. Soon OUTLAW will loose the first look and would be really lucky to get the second glance. I agree, what about a 1055? It cannot hurt..

#2611 - 08/11/02 01:22 AM Re: I've sat on the fence too long.
chump Offline
Gunslinger

I've sat on the fence too long as well. So Friday morning I called up Outlaw and ordered myself a "B-Stock" unit for $504 shipped to my door. Should be here Monday.

I haven't gotten it yet but I've read hundreds if not thousands of reviews in pursuit of a new receiver. The amount of people who swear by the Outlaw 1050 alone is enough to make me risk the shipping cost to hear it in my system. I'm sure I'll be impressed.

I came to the conclusion that you get what you pay for. With the 1050, the money I've spent goes straight to the hardware and technology I'm purchasing. Higher quality parts and higher quality build. Much like everything else out there, you can find products in the same genre for less money, but they don't match up in class. If Onkyo can provide a product with so many features for such a cheap price corners must be cut somewhere.

If you buy a computer from Dell it would probably cost you a whole lot less than custom building one (as I do), but you're sacrificing your 'savings' for generic RAM, a generic motherboard, etc. I don't know the component makeup of the 1050 but this seems like simple logic to me.

I'd love to see Onkyo (or any other company for that matter) rely completely on consumer reviews to sell their product. I doubt they'd hold their own.

#2612 - 08/12/02 08:00 AM Re: I've sat on the fence too long.
speed3 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Westbrook, Maine, US
Chump,

Just a couple of comments. I think your view is a little simplified. The Onkyo doesn't have THAT many more "features" but has what is becoming an industry standard at this price point. When the 1050 first came out, it's value was much greater than today because it had "features" that no other receiver in its price range had along with stellar build quality. Since then, the big boys have been scrambling to catch up and in many ways have surpassed the Outlaw.

I believe that some of the price savings can be attributed to parts (since I believe the amplifier section is a little nicer in the Outlaw), but Outlaw also is cutting corners with "generic parts". Look at the 6.1 decoding. I think that there can also be some savings in higher volumes (since parts can be purchased at a reduced rate) and improved manufacturing technics. There is a reason why Outlaw was able to reduce the price of the 1050 from $599 to $499 and it is not from cutting corners. The same goes for other companies as well.

#2613 - 08/12/02 05:08 PM Re: I've sat on the fence too long.
charlie Offline
Desperado

Personally I'd like to see a 1055 (updated 1050) and a 1080 (or whatever - 1150 ???)

The 'next step up' would provide a $900 pricepoint (or so) that Outlaw Audio currently has no product in.

I think there is a significant slice of market between the 1050 and the 950/(new small amp) combo.

BTW, did I dream it, or did Outlaw announce a smaller amp a while back?

Charlie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 120 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts