Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#26031 - 06/09/04 04:26 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
For the sound card, do you want a gaming card that can do music or do you want a music card? I forget the more official name for the second. I've never heard the second, but have been told there is quite a difference despite how much better the gaming cards have become.

In recent history I have gone from a Sound Blaster Live! to an Audigy and then to an Audigy 2. Each one was a very nice improvement over the last.

#26032 - 06/09/04 04:49 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Quote:
Originally posted by theendofday:
ok. I'll check Digidesign out. Do you know which model? The nice one.

Just go with what your budget allows. All their cards are offer far more real world (read: honest) performance than any consumer card will.

#26033 - 06/09/04 05:00 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

JT Clark

I am not really sure, but anything that close to pro level will do. I just started researching this computer recording recently. I am also looking for a program that able to modify original CD files. For example, I want replace the original vocal in the music with my own voice and add more effects. Is it possible?

Soundhound

I checked Pro Tools|HD Core Systems and they are too expensive. Are they really worth that much? A piece of IC card sells 10 thousand??

[This message has been edited by theendofday (edited June 09, 2004).]

#26034 - 06/09/04 06:24 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

There are two channel ProTools systems that are very inexpensive. The system you looked at was one of the full blown professional ones.

#26035 - 06/10/04 01:32 AM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

OK, soundhound. I will go to my local guitar center tomorrow to see what Digidesign products they have and check their performance. Thanks alot, man.

#26036 - 06/10/04 02:52 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
The entry level interface into Pro Tools is called the "mBox". It comes with a smaller version of Pro Tools called Pro Tools LE. The software offers the majority of the features that the full featured software comes with. It retails for $499 and is available for $449 from almost every music retailer imaginable.

I wouldn't recommend Pro Tools for regular consumer editing. There are plenty of other interfaces and programs available that offer just the same features and more for a lot less money. Pro Tools, as soundhound rightly states, is basically the industry standard. That doesn't mean there aren't other ways to do the same thing.

If you want more info, there are plenty of books out on the subject of home recording. As for websites, do a search for home computer recording. You'll probably get some insight there.

For starters:
www.homerecording.com
www.recordingmag.com
www.harmony-central.com

#26037 - 06/10/04 03:08 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

>>>There are plenty of other interfaces and programs available that offer just the same features and more for a lot less money<<<

What features would be available in a consumer system that would'nt be available in ProTools either natively or as a plug-in? Granted ProTools costs more, but I'm just curious what features you are referring to.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited June 10, 2004).]

#26038 - 06/10/04 04:58 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

I'm not talking about actual recording features as Pro Tools covers those for added cost. I'm was referring more to ease of use and cost than to anything else. From someone starting from a non-technical point of view, Pro Tools has a very intimidating interface. Also, to integrate most common plug-ins into non TDM Pro Tools systems can be very complicated. Pro Tools LE does not support VST or Audio Units right out of the box. I realize most plug-ins can be ported into Pro Tools but this adds steps and complications.

One more thing, running Pro Tools LE on a home computer is very taxing to that computers resources. While almost all audio editors recommend dedicating a complete computer to just audio, Pro Tools almost requires it. It's a system and memory hog. If you need proof, read Digi's requirements for their systems.

Everybody has their favorite audio editing software. Not every audio editing software is made for everybody. That's why there are so many programs out there.

#26039 - 06/10/04 06:56 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:

One more thing, running Pro Tools LE on a home computer is very taxing to that computers resources. While almost all audio editors recommend dedicating a complete computer to just audio, Pro Tools almost requires it. It's a system and memory hog. If you need proof, read Digi's requirements for their systems.

I don't need that proof since I own a HD ProTools system - however I've never run into any memory problems. I have had other issues with ProTools, most of which are related to the Macintosh itself, but never memory related ones.

#26040 - 06/11/04 10:48 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Don't get me wrong here, I have the greatest respect for you and your work and your technical ability. But If you're running that HD system on anything less than a maxed out, high-end computer, I'm amazed. That is not your typical home computer. There are some basic, note that, basic computer editing systems that can actually run on a less maxed out home computer. Steinberg Wavelab for the PC comes to mind for that.

That said, your defense of Pro Tools is becoming something like cg's defense of Velodyne subwoofers. While they may make the biggest and the "best" at the upper price points, there are many, many other options available especially at the lower price points.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM