Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#26021 - 06/08/04 02:27 AM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

If I didn't remember it wrong, "Dolby 3 Stereo" is one of the three modes featured in Pro-Logic chip. The other two are called "Phantom" and "Normal" mode. People can get that now for very cheap.

#26022 - 06/08/04 05:50 AM Re: New system - does this make sense?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Loc: Gusev Crater, Mars
Yes, Dolby 3 is very old but it just happens to do exactly what is required in this instance and no more. I think mixers just like the control of what is put into the surrounds, and the Lexicon reverbs used are unbelieveably good.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited June 08, 2004).]

#26023 - 06/08/04 07:43 AM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

What do you think about TC Electronic compared to Lexicon? I heard some of their FX processor and it sounds really good, but not cheap.

I really like stereo lead vocal plus reverb; it makes vocal sound extremely wide.

[This message has been edited by theendofday (edited June 08, 2004).]

#26024 - 06/08/04 11:24 AM Re: New system - does this make sense?
IDareYa Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Calgary, AB CANADA
Wow! I thought this was a simple question. Either you could or you couldn't.
The more I learn about this HT affliction the more I realize there is no yes or no, only various shades of maybe. The only sure thing is trust your eyes and ears and go with what the wife will accept, maybe
Thank you all for your help.
By the way, I am going to give it a try to see if it works.

#26025 - 06/08/04 11:47 AM Re: New system - does this make sense?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by theendofday:
What do you think about TC Electronic compared to Lexicon? I heard some of their FX processor and it sounds really good, but not cheap.

I really like stereo lead vocal plus reverb; it makes vocal sound extremely wide.

[This message has been edited by theendofday (edited June 08, 2004).]

To be honest, the only reverbs I use now are plug-ins to my ProTools digital audio workstation, and the one I end up using most is the one suppied by Digidesign. I've moved to completely "virtual", which is more and more the trend in film post production. I don't have any recent experience with TC Electronic reverbs (or any other of their products), but the Lexicon reverbs used on dubbing stages are simply amazing in their sound quality - and price.

#26026 - 06/08/04 12:53 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

"Virtual". You mean working directly from the computer, right?

Can you also connect your PC with outboard processors for further processing?

Which model of Lexi reverb you are currently using?

Nothing personal, I am just interested to know.

#26027 - 06/08/04 01:45 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Virtual as in I do all mixing and processing with the mixing console and plug-ins inside the ProTools computer program (which also has hardware PCI cards and two 8 channel outboard interfaces). You can use these outboard interfaces (16 input-output channels) as auxillary sends and returns to route to outboard processing, and I usually do this with a vintage Collins compressor/limiter. I don't own any Lexicon plug-ins or outboard equipment now, but I did have a PCM-70 at one time. The type of work I do which is mostly editing does not call for heavy use of signal processing. Occasionally I need to create a reverb "tail" to conseal the end-edit of a piece of music.

As a matter of fact, I just retired my Soundcraft Spirit 24x8x2 analog mixing console (in like-new condition and only used by a little old lady to record church services on Sunday) and am going to list it on Ebay today or tomorrow, probably starting at $1,500.

#26028 - 06/09/04 03:22 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

Soundhound

I would like to create some music with my computer. Can you recommend some good quality PCI card with many input/output and softwares? How do I get started? what equipments do I need? I am not going to do the recording at this time, but probably will in the future. I just want to create music and playing some sample effects from computer.

Is it possible to take existing CD and remix, modify it with computer softwares?

Is it possible to connect my PC with a digital mixer and operate mixer directly from the computer?

Thanks

#26029 - 06/09/04 03:53 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
soundhound Offline
Desperado

Probably the most flexible systems are the ProTools from Digidesign. These come in all levels of cost and performance from stereo up to 128 channels of 192/24 bit. You can essentially do anything you could possibly think of with these systems, and plug-ins for things like reverb and other processing are either included or can be bought. Every movie you will see these days has had it's dialog, music and sound effects created and edited with ProTools, and increasingly purely music recordings are being tracked and mixed completely within ProTools.

www.digidesign.com

As far as stricly consumer sound cards and software, well, I don't really deal with them in professional work, and the software I've tinkered around with has been very lame. You really get what you pay for, so don't expect ultimate performance from a "super magnum sound blaster supreme pro" card that costs $129.95.

[This message has been edited by soundhound (edited June 09, 2004).]

#26030 - 06/09/04 04:04 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Sound Killer Offline
Gunslinger

ok. I'll check Digidesign out. Do you know which model? The nice one.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts