Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#26001 - 06/04/04 04:57 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Just to add, try the two speaker idea for the center channel but make sure the speakers are wired "in-phase" If they're not, it has no chance of working.

CG: Are you an adovcate of 6.1 or 7.1 surround sound? This issue of two center channels is exactly like taking a 6.1 system and making it a 7.1 system on most systems. You take a 6.1 system (mono rear surround) and split the signal to 7.1 (dual mono rear surrounds). IDareYa is just basically changing this from the back soundstage to the front soundstage.

#26002 - 06/04/04 05:34 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
the difference of the back soundstage (effects) and front soundstage (dialog), is THE difference. the front soundstage is exponentially more important than the rear. 6.1 has one rear mono channel, 7.1 has basically a stereo pair of rear channels, having 2 center speakers is not really the same, because they are not in stereo, they are producing the same sound. although so closely as to negatively impact each others sound.

------------------
This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#26003 - 06/04/04 05:54 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
IDareYa Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Calgary, AB CANADA
Jason J I hadn't really thought of this as a reverse 6.1 (+2) but you right that's what it would be. I can see how adding an additional speaker in the front would change the dynamics because it isn't in the audio mix but I am confused on why, if both speakers get the same info, you couldn't make adustments to compensate for this.
Just for arguments sake the tv that this all centers around is a Sony KP65WS510. The riser height would be around 8", putting the speaker at about 65" off the floor or about three feet plus/minus over the height of the seating. I currently own the Studio CC, I do not own the 20's. I may be able to take them for a test drive to work this out but before going through the motions I thought I would see what people with more experience thought. C.G. if the speaker seems off at the current height how could it sound better on the floor built into the riser? Or are you suggesting build it in, in front of the tv below the screen (because that is another interesting idea)? I appreciate all of your input - it makes spending or not spending easier. At least we can all agree on the 950/755/200 combo.

wow he's good!! - CG can answer qustions before I can even get them typed in!

[This message has been edited by IDareYa (edited June 04, 2004).]

#26004 - 06/04/04 08:01 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Considering the minimal height of your platform, I definitely wouldn't put the speaker there (especially since the stand is shorter than the speaker). You could try curegeorg's idea of putting the speaker low by building a stand in front of the TV's base so the top edge of the speaker sat near the bottom of the screen. The stand could be integrated into the base since you're doing a base anyway.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#26005 - 06/04/04 08:20 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

my thought was to build the speaker directly into the riser/stand that the tv sat on. so that it could be close to the tv, high enough for your seating, and out of reach of your hounds, plus it would look more professional (or custom).

------------------

#26006 - 06/04/04 09:22 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
the difference of the back soundstage (effects) and front soundstage (dialog), is THE difference. the front soundstage is exponentially more important than the rear.

You're right.
Quote:
[originally posted by curegeorg:
6.1 has one rear mono channel, 7.1 has basically a stereo pair of rear channels,

You're wrong, except, if not mistaken, in the case of DD Pro Logic IIx and Logic 7 or any other 7th channel matrix surround mode. Regular DD EX and DTS ES are just dual mono in the rear surrounds.
Quote:
[originally posted by curegeorg:
having 2 center speakers is not really the same, because they are not in stereo, they are producing the same sound. although so closely as to negatively impact each others sound.

Umm...I don't quite understand what you're getting at with this. If you're talking about room effects on each of the individual speakers, ok, there might be some effect. Overall though, the difference between the two speakers would not be noticed on a normal basis.

IDareYa: The two speakers would act like one speaker and any adjustments you made to the center channel would effect both. It's just a matter of how you would power them. I don't know if you would want to connect them in series or in parallel.

#26007 - 06/05/04 01:44 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Jason J makes some excellent points -- and I still feel that the potential for the "dual centers" to do what IDareYa is looking for is great enough to warrant an experiment. Multiple center speakers is not an unheard-of approach, after all. For a long time, Yamaha even went so far as to provide two center channel connections on their receivers.

Quote:
curegeorg wrote:
my thought was to build the speaker directly into the riser/stand that the tv sat on. so that it could be close to the tv, high enough for your seating, and out of reach of your hounds, plus it would look more professional (or custom).

Yes, but his riser is only going to be 8" tall, making it both impossible and acoustically undesirable to build a 9" tall center channel into it. Plus the fact that the pictures I've seen of his set (a Sony KP65WS510) show that putting a center channel below the TV would put it at least 2-1/2 feet away from the screen (it's a CRT RPTV, so there's a big chunk of space between floor and bottom edge of screen), and that is clearly too much distance between screen and center channel.

Quote:
It's just a matter of how you would power them. I don't know if you would want to connect them in series or in parallel.

He was originally talking about powering each speaker separately, with either a pair of 200's or two channels of a 770 fed from the 950's single center channel pre-amp output with a splitter cable.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#26008 - 06/05/04 11:29 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

under the tv would be better than beside it. i didnt realize it was gonna be such a small riser...

------------------

#26009 - 06/06/04 12:09 AM Re: New system - does this make sense?
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Under the tv won't do any good if the tv crushes the speaker. Since you're protesting so strongly against the side mount setup, could you share your experiences with it? What did you do and how did any adjustments affect the sound?

#26010 - 06/06/04 04:51 PM Re: New system - does this make sense?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

i have never decided to put two speakers as my center channel because it is lunacy. you DO NOT want voices coming from two distinct points. if you dont take my word for it, then fine, but at least i tried to save you.

oh and build the damn riser bigger to contain the center.

------------------

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 151 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Helson 1
patm1198 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts