Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25972 - 05/31/04 11:31 PM Hooking up 2 x 2 channel amps to 950?
canali Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: vancouver BC
I have a pair of 2 channel integrated amps and although i WAS going to buy the 7100 (still am considering it) i just over the wkend had a car crash (costing me $4000)
so am wondering if anyone can kindly offer some suggestions for hook up of such (I also
have an active subwoofer and 2 pairs of speakers)...both of the 2 channel amps are strictly 2 channel integrated analog with no HT bypass or anything like that (but very musical!).

Will i be lacking anything this route when hooked up to the 950 vs the 7100 (I am considering selling both the 2 channel amps, but they've been modded and really are wonderful sounding.
Many thanks
joe

#25973 - 05/31/04 11:34 PM Re: Hooking up 2 x 2 channel amps to 950?
canali Offline
Gunslinger

by the way, i have not yet received the 950...still on it's way, which is why i'm posting this question.

cheers again,
joe

#25974 - 06/01/04 12:02 AM Re: Hooking up 2 x 2 channel amps to 950?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
Joe,

What brand and model stereo integrated amp do you have?

If each integrated amp has a pre-out amp-in jack, use a pair of analog interconnect cables to connect the output of the 950 to the stereo amp-in jacks of each integrated amp. When the 950 is turned on or off, it can turn its associated amps on and off with it, via a 12v dc trigger, but only if the associated amps have a dc trigger or are connected to one. You say you have 4 speakers and a subwoofer. HT is generally 5.1 channels so you'll need to decide which 4 channels to use and which one to not use. (5.1 is 1 center, 2 fronts, and 2 surrounds, plus the .1 subwoofer. The 950 gives you the option of 2 rear surrounds, too, for 7.1 although the rear surround sound from the 950 is monoral never stereo). Also since you have a subwoofer, you'll need to decide what crossover frequency to use -- the 950 gives you many choices from 40 Hz all the way up to 150 Hz, and furthermore, you can choose distinct crossover choices for the center, front and surround speakers.

What speakers and what subwoofer do you have?

Hope you enjoy your new 950!

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited June 01, 2004).]

#25975 - 06/01/04 02:17 PM Re: Hooking up 2 x 2 channel amps to 950?
canali Offline
Gunslinger

Have no pair of preouts on the older Nad 710...but do have a pair of preamp outputs on the modded Unico hybrid (2 channel analog integrated).

also have a sony 999es dvd/sacd player
and svs subwoofer (was using the unico's preamp outputs to drive the svs subwoofer at line level connection).

#25976 - 06/01/04 02:37 PM Re: Hooking up 2 x 2 channel amps to 950?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've only briefly searched for info our your gear, but I think I've got a handle on it. To use the integrated amps with the 950, you'd need to pick an input on each amp to use with the 950 (it doesn't really matter which you use, as long as it's a line level input and not a phono input). Then you'll want to set each amp's volume control and leave it there. The best way to do that may be to set the 950's volume control to 0, go into the setup menu to the test tones, leave all channels of the 950 at 0, and pick one channel on each amp to calibrate the amp's volume with (the goal being to get to 75dB at the listening position). Set one channel on each amp and make note of the volume position. Leave it there, and adjust the other channels at the 950's menu.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#25977 - 06/09/04 02:57 PM Re: Hooking up 2 x 2 channel amps to 950?
canali Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Joe,
Will
-the unico hybrid 2 channel integrated amp
(strictly analog)...see www.unisonresearch.com (80 watts/channel)
no HT bypass and an older NAD 710 integrated receiver (could use the unico for the front and nad for the smaller mission speakers at the rear)....which volume controls would I use, ie, the one from the unico, the nad or the 950?
Do i need a SPL or just wing it via ear volume matching for rear/fronts?

sorry, but this is new to me.

What brand and model stereo integrated amp do you have?

If each integrated amp has a pre-out amp-in jack, use a pair of analog interconnect cables to connect the output of the 950 to the stereo amp-in jacks of each integrated amp. When the 950 is turned on or off, it can turn its associated amps on and off with it, via a 12v dc trigger, but only if the associated amps have a dc trigger or are connected to one. You say you have 4 speakers and a subwoofer. HT is generally 5.1 channels so you'll need to decide which 4 channels to use and which one to not use. (5.1 is 1 center, 2 fronts, and 2 surrounds, plus the .1 subwoofer. The 950 gives you the option of 2 rear surrounds, too, for 7.1 although the rear surround sound from the 950 is monoral never stereo). Also since you have a subwoofer, you'll need to decide what crossover frequency to use -- the 950 gives you many choices from 40 Hz all the way up to 150 Hz, and furthermore, you can choose distinct crossover choices for the center, front and surround speakers.

What speakers and what subwoofer do you have?

Hope you enjoy your new 950!

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited June 01, 2004).]

Who's Online
0 registered (), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts