Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#25958 - 06/03/04 11:35 AM Re: Help choose format
Unferth Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Homewood, AL, US
Yeah.. the reason for not following the speaker manual is that most audio equipment has a non adjustable crossover that's typically at 80 or 100 hz but for the 950 you've got far more options to customize it for your speakers...

Different people have different interpretaions of "small"...

#25959 - 06/03/04 01:39 PM Re: Help choose format
marcpam Offline
Gunslinger

ok guys,

I have set my mains to small and set the front xover point to 60. I have talked to Steve at Outlaw and he is very helpful and cust. oriented. This is just another positive reminder that Outlaw has the product and the cust. service to back it up. Good job guys, keep it up.

Thanks for all of the replies

#25960 - 06/04/04 12:19 AM Re: Help choose format
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
the 950 does not allow lfe+main as an option for the sub output? i.e. to allow bass to go to any speaker set as large, but also allow bass to go to the sub? that is unfortunate for full range speakers...

------------------

This post has been brought to you by curegeorg, thanks for reading.

#25961 - 06/04/04 08:01 AM Re: Help choose format
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If it did, how would the steering work? If you send the full range, unaltered signal to the mains and cross the mains' signal over to produce something for the sub (which the 950 actually does when using stereo bypass mode with the mains set to small), you get the "double bass" condition that so many people objected to back around the time of the 950's beta testing. The whole point of a true full range speaker is that it doesn't need a sub; the reason Outlaw set up the stereo bypass mode the way they did was that they assumed a speaker set to small must start to drop off significantly near the specified crossover point and that therefore the sub would be able to support the speaker even without applying a high pass crossover to the speaker's signal.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#25962 - 06/04/04 12:49 PM Re: Help choose format
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

there are different ways to produce the desired results, called different things im sure. setting to small and setting the crossover low enough is the same thing.

lfe+main (sub setting) is filtering off any bass that is too low for the mains and sends it to the sub. it is all dependent on the crossover setting. sounds pretty much the same to me, as long as setting the mains to small and crossover send all that bass for the sub to reproduce instead of just losing it. i thought that was the difference, small mains and low crossover just kept the signal from going to the mains, nothing more. lfe+main allowed the bass that the mains couldnt produce to be played by the sub... with small mains and crossover, the sub would only get lfe signal and some bass could be lost... i guess the setting is actually better for not quite full range speakers playing back full range sound.

------------------

#25963 - 06/04/04 02:47 PM Re: Help choose format
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Any time a speaker is set to small on the 950, the bass removed from the speaker's signal is redirected somewhere -- either the subwoofer or (in the case of a system without a sub, in which case the mains should be set to large) the main speakers. Nothing's being lost here. I would expect any surround sound processor to do this as part of the bass management. To not do so would yield an inherently broken bass management system.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#25964 - 06/04/04 03:49 PM Re: Help choose format
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

so in essence the sub is getting the lfe input AND low frequency intended for the mains? what would you say is double bass then? the same frequency being played by the mains and the sub at the same time?

------------------

#25965 - 06/04/04 04:17 PM Re: Help choose format
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
The double bass issue had to do with the low signal from the mains being played by both the sub AND the mains, IIRC. Also IIRC, that was mostly with the multichannel analog input.

If the sub is playing the LFE info plus what was originally recorded for the mains and the mains are not playing that info, there is no double bass. The sub would be playing info from more than one channel, BUT the info from a single input channel would not be reproduced by more than one speaker.

Does that make sense to anyone?

Quote:
so in essence the sub is getting the lfe input AND low frequency intended for the mains?

If the mains are still playing the same signal then that would be double bass. If that signal has been filtered from the mains then that would not be double bass.

#25966 - 06/04/04 04:23 PM Re: Help choose format
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

that is what i thought, and thought i said. glad you cleared it up. i am however unclear as to what IIRC means. i didnt know what you meant by that in previous posts either...

------------------

#25967 - 06/04/04 04:47 PM Re: Help choose format
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
If I Remember Correctly

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 92 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts