Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#25824 - 05/16/04 06:27 PM Using 7 channels
Raider Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cleveland, TN
I have been using my 950/7100 with 5 channels only. I would like to know from those who are using 7 channels if it is worth adding the extra two speakers and what program material/movies are best with 7 channels.

#25825 - 05/16/04 07:18 PM Re: Using 7 channels
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Raider,

Yes it's worth it - but it's not a huge improvement. Not subtle either. Somewhere in between.

Any program material that sounds good in 5.1 should translate well to 7.1. And of course DD EX and DTS ES source material will show it off the best.

Since you only need to add two speakers to make a go of it, if you have some old "cheap" ones kicking around you could try them first. A pair of old RS Minimum 7's for example. (Don't we all have a pair or two of them tucked away somewhere?) If you then like the effect, jump in with something to match your other surrounds (or compliment them - whichever works best for you. ie. I won't get into the whole di vs bi vs mono-pole discussion.)

Have fun.

Jeff Mackwood

#25826 - 05/16/04 11:06 PM Re: Using 7 channels
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
7 is great for large rooms, so so for smaller ones.

#25827 - 05/16/04 11:12 PM Re: Using 7 channels
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
7 is great for large rooms, so so for smaller ones.

That's a concern I have too. How big is the listening area for everyone? With a smaller room, you just won't need it.

#25828 - 05/16/04 11:42 PM Re: Using 7 channels
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

HOLD ON, DO I HAVE SOMEONE THAT AGREES WITH ME!!!!!!!!!! TAKE IT BACK NOW BEFORE MY COMPUTER EXPLODES!!!! LOL

#25829 - 05/16/04 11:54 PM Re: Using 7 channels
sdurani Offline
Desperado

Loc: Monterey Park, CA
As long as you have a decent amount of room behind your seating area, the size of the room isn't important when considering a 7.1 set-up. For example: you could be in a very large room but have your couch against the back wall; a situation which wouldn't lend itself to a 7.1 set-up. Is it worth going 7.1? I think so. There are three advantages to going beyond a 5.1-speaker set-up: localization, stability and envelopment.

Having speakers at your sides and separate speakers behind you means you can get more exacting localization in the surround field than you can with 2 surround speakers. Some surround content sounds better at your sides (e.g., ambient effects, like rain) while other surround effects sound better when they end up behind you (e.g., front to back fly-overs). Not so easy to do with only 2 surrounds.

The best part about the improvement in localization is that it comes better stability. For example: no matter where you're sitting on your couch, sound intended to come from behind you will always appear to come from there; not some side-ish, rear-ish direction. No magic involved, just a pair of speakers physically located behind you (makes it hard for those sounds to come from any other direction). Again, it's difficult, if not impossible, to get this level of stability with just 2 surround speakers.

Finally, 4 speakers will 'surround' you better than 2 speakers can. If you listen to music in surround, you'll notice the difference in envelopment. Also, movement around the surround field will will be smoother with the additional speakers.

As for movies to listen to in 7.1, the most obvious choices would be ones with EX/ES soundtracks, where a surround-back channel has been specifically encoded into the mix. There are about 120 or so movies with EX encoding; enough to keep you busy for a while. Here's a link to a thorough and well updated list of EX/ES DVDs.

Best,
Sanjay

#25830 - 05/17/04 12:36 AM Re: Using 7 channels
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

if you dont have enough space between the 4th/5th and 6th/7th speakers, then there is no point. where you are seated is obviously key. you can use bi-pole, di-pole speakers in a position beside you to create sound behind, in front, and through your listening area. so 7.1 is like i said, only worthwhile for larger rooms where the greater seperation between speakers allows for a more natural recreation of soundtrack.

#25831 - 05/17/04 12:37 AM Re: Using 7 channels
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by sdurani:
[B]As long as you have a decent amount of room behind your seating area, the size of the room isn't important when considering a 7.1 set-up.
B]

that is contradicting, because if you had a small room you could never have a decent amount of space behind your seating area and therefore would be wasting money on 2 more speakers.

#25832 - 05/17/04 07:31 AM Re: Using 7 channels
Paratrooper Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Conyers,GA,USA
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
that is contradicting, because if you had a small room you could never have a decent amount of space behind your seating area and therefore would be wasting money on 2 more speakers.

The amount of space you have behind you depends on how close you set to the front. And by the way what is a "large" room.

#25833 - 05/17/04 08:17 AM Re: Using 7 channels
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
When we say "size" obviously the spacial arrangement should be considered with that. There needs to be a separation between the rear and side speakers, otherwise it is kind of a waste. Take a look at the front 3. You have to spread the mains out wider for the center channel, right? If the mains are only a few ft apart what's the point of the center? It'll help some, but is it really worth the money? When the mains are spread out there will be a more obvious hole inbetween them, so the center channel will really help out. The same idea applies to the side speakers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM