Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25803 - 05/12/04 10:39 AM 950 remote and max volume
dave brown Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
I've had my 950 since they first started shipping -- been a year? But just recently got it set up for HT with a front projection system and it is absolutely great!!!

Last night I noticed two things that I can't figure out.

1. The remote stopped working, intermittently. None of the controls function. Changed the batteries to no avail.

2. Volume level is maxed out to a lower level than the amp/speaker's capabilities. Fairly loud, but it won't go any higher. The volume readout maxes at 10. DVD with DD via optical cable (1). DolbyD selected. Amps are SoundStream M-1 monoblocks.

I haven't had a chance to research the owner's manual, but I don't recall anything about these situations...then again, I don't recall much lately anyway.

Thanks for any tips.

Dave

#25804 - 05/12/04 11:27 AM Re: 950 remote and max volume
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
Well the first thing I would do is RUN don't WALK to the nearest store and by a universal remote (even a cheep one) before that remote dies compleatly. That way you can program it to operate your system in the event that the 950 remote dies compleatly. Then contact Outlaw for a new one. As far as the volume not going high enough, did you use an SPL meter to set up your system? If the 950 is trimmed to low you won't see the full power your amps are capable of. Hope this helps

Lasher

#25805 - 05/12/04 11:35 AM Re: 950 remote and max volume
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
I’m not sure, but it sounds like you’ve discovered one of the remote’s ‘features.’ If you have just set up HT, you may not be used to the fact that once you’ve hit the DVD button, for instance, you have to hit the 950 (AUD) again to regain the use of the controls for the 950. Exceptions to this include the ‘volume control punch through’ as described on page 39 of the 950 manual.

As for additional gain, either set the main volume level slightly lower while you are adjusting channel calibration/trim, -10dB instead of 0dB for instance, (so that you have more room to turn the volume up later) and/or adjust channel calibration to a higher level, say to 85db instead of 75db on an SPL meter.

Be careful though. If adjusting the channel calibration/trim gives you 10dB more volume for DVD’s, everything else will also be 10dB louder for the same main volume level setting you may be used to using. I know the analog inputs I use tend to need a much lower main volume setting than DVD’s using a digital input. Switching from the end of a DVD I’ve listened to with the volume up to one of the analog sources without first lowering my main volume level can be quite startling.

If the remote is failing within the warranty period, Outlaw will replace it.

#25806 - 05/12/04 12:41 PM Re: 950 remote and max volume
dave brown Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Thanks for the quick response. I'll try it tonight. Hopefully, it is one of the remote's "features" that's doing this.

#25807 - 05/12/04 12:47 PM Re: 950 remote and max volume
JT Clark Offline
Desperado

Loc: IL
Quote:
Originally posted by dave brown:
The volume readout maxes at 10.

Should he have special ordered a unit that goes to 11?

Yeah, figure out the trim and level settings.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts