Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25792 - 05/11/04 08:15 PM very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
marcpam Offline
Gunslinger

i am a proud new owner of a 950/770 combo. I am in awe of the sound of this thing. I could not believe the power and accuracy of the 770. You guys have made a believer out of me and I will continue to buy your products in the years to come. Good Job, I will preach the word here in OK.

#25793 - 05/11/04 10:41 PM Re: very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
My 950/7100 is still putting a smile on my face every time I turn it on Is this your first HT purchase? If not what did you upgrade from? We all like to here these stories Welcome to Outlaw!!!

Lasher

#25794 - 05/11/04 10:54 PM Re: very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
marcpam Offline
Gunslinger

this is my first ht experience. I am driving a set of polk audio rti12, csi5 for center, and fxi5 for the rear. I also have a polk psw505 for the sub. I will eventually get into the 7.1 setup a little later. I want more formats to support it first.

#25795 - 05/12/04 07:40 AM Re: very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
michaelstano Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Stillwater, OK USA
Marcpam: Where in OK are you? I'm in Stillwater, and I'd be interested in talking with you.

Outlaw 950
Parasound HCA 1000Ax3
Klipsch KG 3.2s frt & rr
Klipsch KV 3 ctr
Klipsch KV 2 surr ctr
SVS PB2
Sony CDP-CX355 CD
MonsterPower HTS2500MkII
Mitsubishi DD 8020 DVD
Mitsubishi 46" 16:9 TV

#25796 - 05/12/04 08:04 AM Re: very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
marcpam Offline
Gunslinger

i'm in Yukon. It is always good to find somebody in the same hobby. I would also be interested in exchanging info.

[This message has been edited by marcpam (edited May 12, 2004).]

#25797 - 05/12/04 03:18 PM Re: very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
readster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bartlesville, OK USA
Hey fellow, Okie's, I'm in Tulsa, it's good to see some other folks here from OK.

#25798 - 05/12/04 09:43 PM Re: very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Only Five Verys?

------------------
MeanGene's Home

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#25799 - 05/14/04 11:48 AM Re: very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
Mike M Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

marcpam: You talk the talk so I suspect you are indeed upgrading from something. So what is it you're comparing you're new combo to ? C'mon, out with it man !

I picked up a 950 this week off of ebay and am expecting it later today. Of course I will be at work so it will have to wait 'till tomorrow. I will have to open it tonight just to make sure I didn't get sent a load of bricks

Until I get an amp I will be using the amp section of my current unit, Yamaha RX-V800. I am expecting to hear a more realistic soundstage, clearer dialogue through the center, and a better low end. I've always suspected the Yamaha puts out a lousy signal for the lfe channel. I'm driving older model Paradigms all the way around.

Congratulations marcpam and I hope to be patting myself on the back shortly.

Mike

#25800 - 05/14/04 01:36 PM Re: very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
marcpam Offline
Gunslinger

MikeM,

this is my first system. I have heard many in the past few months as i was searching for a pre/pro and amp configuration. I have been to an outfit that carries Rotel and I have to tell you, the 950 sounds identical, if not better, than the Rotel. I have made a good decision and I can't believe how easy it is to operate the 950.

#25801 - 05/20/04 10:56 AM Re: very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
sbcgroup1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: NY
MEAN GENE-

Usin' the Strategy 400's I see! Those are AWESOME guitar power amps! Same ones Metallica uses on tour. I have played thru the 2:90's w/ the TriAxis in my guitar rack. Do you play at all? I just never thought of using them as HT power amps. What are they powering? Do they work well?

-sbc

#25802 - 05/23/04 02:12 PM Re: very, very, very, very, very, satisfied
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by sbcgroup1:
MEAN GENE-

Usin' the Strategy 400's I see! Those are AWESOME guitar power amps! Same ones Metallica uses on tour. I have played thru the 2:90's w/ the TriAxis in my guitar rack. Do you play at all? I just never thought of using them as HT power amps. What are they powering? Do they work well?

-sbc

The Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400 tube amps are different from most of the "professional" amps that are available. They were designed (1970 era) to be used for either stage or home use. You can install all twelve 6L6GC's for home use or you can change the last row to EL34's for the stage/guitar work. There are different versions of the Strategy 400 amp. I try and find the models that don't have anything other then the volume control, on/off, and standby switchs. I really don't need the "presence" switches and other features for home use.

They sound very good and have plenty of power for my hungry ESS AMT3 speakers. The 15amp breaker in the Panamax will blow before these amps ever get to discernable clipping.

I like the sound of the amps and I like the power, but I like the control they have best. They really shine when you need an amp to do so. They will take just about any type of signal without a problem.

There are some things though that most people will not want to put up with. One is the warm up time. These aren’t instant on amps; they take a little time to warm up, but worth the wait. There is some fan noise that some may object to. Now, I have all my equipment in a closed component rack with a glass front door and ventilate the cabinet with filtered QFan's (quiet fans < 30db) from Middle Atlantic, this is rack mount stuff, it may not work with your decor. They are big, heavy, and run hot, like most great amps. There is no 12VDC trigger to turn them on, you will have to actually get out of you recliner, pity. I have the Panamax turn them on sequentially, but in standby mode. So when I turn the whole system on everything starts up and when the Mesa/Boogie's have warmed up I turn them off of standby. Some would have to learn what a 1/4 plug is and adapt to it.

Right now, I have it setup to listen to the TV through the center channel via the Outlaw 950/M200. The amps and other equipment only startup when I want to listen to a movie or something.

For the average Home Theater fan, I would probably recommend getting a transistor type amp. They sound pretty good too and are a lot easier to use. But if you're a nut like me, you will love these amps.

Thinking of updating the tubes.
http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-e.htm

------------------
MeanGene's Home

[This message has been edited by MeanGene (edited May 23, 2004).]

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts