Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25753 - 04/30/04 11:45 PM questions?
NEO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita KS USA
What exactly does the 5ch stereo make happen? is it really 5ch mono from all 5 speakers? Why do I have a lack of base when switching to bypass, and also when listening to regular CDs in PLII-M mode (DVD player)? Just trying to understand what is happening, maybe I didn't set something up right? I'm vey happy with gobs of base with PLII-C watching movies (cable box), and with CDs in 5ch stereo (DVD player), and 5.1 movie DVDs. Can anyone comment on what is happening?

#25754 - 05/04/04 09:13 PM Re: questions?
NEO Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wichita KS USA
No replies, so I guess that my questions could be too stupid to warrant a reply. Hmmm! The manual doesn’t say exactly what 5 channel stereo is, and I’m going to venture a guess that it is a DSP mode that plays full range frequency into all 5 channels can’t tell if its stereo in any way by listening. It puts out more base, but I really don’t care for the sound, because it sounds a bit muddy, with less detail. PLII-M sounds pleasant and interesting with some music, more detail but lacks base with out a big adjustment to sub. Does this mode send everything under 80Hz (or whatever small speakers are set to) to the sub? I realized that maybe I’m not getting the bypass to work right because I’ve only hooked up the DVD payer with a digital connection. Does the analog connection need to be hooked up for this bypass to work playing CDs? What is happening without any analog connection? Since I would only listen to CDs in this mode, should I connect the analog outs on the DVD player to the CD input, just for music listening. I would never use analogs for movies! How do most people do it? I notice different sources require different adjustments, so can a macro on the remote be set up to do this with a touch of a button?

I would like to say that my new Outlaw 950/7100 combo has made a huge and pleasant difference in my movie watching experience as compared to my old 125 watt Pioneer A/V pro logic receiver. I’m very happy with it! The 7100 has proven to be a great choice to power my old NHT 90db efficient speakers. It provides all the throttle my ears can possibly take without causing discomfort. The only way I can maybe see regret in not getting the more powerful 755 amp is if I someday decide to upgrade speakers and they are less efficient. Since I don’t plan to ever expand past a good 5.1 system, I used one of the extra channels on the 7100 to power an old NHT SW2 10” sub replacing the original NHT AMP (to save an extra plug in), and it does a fantastic job powering this sub. Of course I connected a Y to use the amp on a 12” SW3 sub, and I set its variable crossover at about 35Hz. I don’t know why, but I really like a lot of base below 35Hz. I have a friend that has electric recline HT seating with built in base shakers, but I really don’t see any need for this kind of weird crap if the subs work well!

All ya-all outlaws gave a good one!!!

#25755 - 05/04/04 10:37 PM Re: questions?
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montgomery, TX
I was waiting to see if Gonk would weighin on this, as he is the resident 950 expert. But, here is my neophyte answer to the bypass issue.

As bypass basically puts the 950 in an analog mode, you will need to use your analog connections to hear anything in bypass. I'm not sure how you are getting any sound in bypass, if you do not have some type of analog connection to the 950. I personally find that the bypass mode gives a much fuller sound than the digital stereo mode, with more than adequate bass. So, yes, hook the analog out connections from your cd/dvd player to the 950 cd in. Then switch back and forth and see what you like best. Yes, in bypass,as I understand it, everything below 80Hz goes to the sub.

#25756 - 05/04/04 11:18 PM Re: questions?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Too bad the 950 manual provides only a vague description of both 5-stereo and 7-stereo. To the best of my knowledge, the low-down is this:

In 5-stereo or 7-stereo, all left channels carry the original left channel signal, all right channels carry the original right channel signal, and the center channel carries a signal much like the 950 would provide if you were in the Pro-Logic II mode. Crossover and calibration/trim level settings for your various channels still apply.

I suppose these stereo modes, if your surround speakers can handle about as much power as your mains, are the way to either host the loudest party you can or to just shake the cobwebs anywhere in your home, or on your person, loose. For the curious, it is also a way to find out just how much your amp can put out if all the channels are driven with full signals available.

#25757 - 05/05/04 08:03 AM Re: questions?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I meant to offer some info on this, but forgot to.

From what I can tell, Stereo 5 and Stereo 7 spread the left and right channels along the left and right sides (surround, surround back) and do some blending to feed the center channel.

In stereo bypass mode, you may not be using the digital bass management (depending on how you have it set up). Pro Logic II does use the 950's bass management, so low frequency from "small" speakers does go to the sub. (The only modes that do not use the digital bass management are stereo bypass and the six-channel analog input.) Analog cables are required to use the stereo bypass mode, since it uses that input's analog stereo input as the source and bypasses all A/D and D/A processing. Also, the VCR and tape outputs and the zone 2 output all also require analog connections to work.

If you are using your DVD player for listening to CD's and want to use stereo bypass mode for that, you will need to connect the player with analog cables. (You are correct in not wanting to use the analog cables for DVD watching -- you want toe 950 to do the decoding of the discs' Dolby Digital or DTS audio, which requires the digital audio connection.) When I used the 950's remote, I had two macros set up that were similar to what you are looking to do. One would switch to the six-channel analog input for DVD-Audio; the same thing can be done to enable the stereo bypass mode. Details of how are in my 950 review .

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#25758 - 05/05/04 11:03 AM Re: questions?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
It sounds like you may have more than one problem. I don’t know what kind of DAC’s are in your DVD player but the ones in the 950 are very good and should not sound muddy in any of the stereo modes. After a lot of personal listening I’ve found I prefer the DAC’s in the 950 to my cd player. I use just plain stereo not 5 or 7 but IMHO it sounds just slightly better than my cd or dvd player using bypass. I would check and see if all the connections are correct. Just my .02 Hope this helps

Lasher

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts