Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25735 - 04/28/04 01:35 PM OSD from componet outputs?
shawnb16 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North Haven, CT
After a ton of research I am about ready to upgrade my preamp and the 950 certainly seems like too good a deal not to at least try. My question, is the On Screen Display active through the component inputs. All my video both DVD, and cable with High Def all output through component video. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

#25736 - 04/28/04 01:51 PM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
OSD is not available on component output. This is actually pretty common -- aside from a small number of pre/pros that will upconvert composite and s-video to component, most pre/pros do not provide an OSD on the component output. Adding OSD to the component signal is very processor intensive and can very easily yield a degradation in video signal (which is why it's so rare). The 950's OSD is useful, but it is not essential because the front display is capable of providing all of the information necessary for operating the 950 (including setup).

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#25737 - 04/28/04 03:45 PM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
shawnb16 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, That's kind of what I've been running into, My problem is that since I've switched to front projection my screen covers my components, and making adjustments without visual confirmation is a hit or miss process at times. I would love to be able to just monitor where the volume level is.

#25738 - 04/28/04 08:44 PM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
Don't know about the rest of your configuration (and I don't have a 950)but my Pioneer HDTV cable decoder box has a baseband input and does upconversion. If you have a unit with similar capabilities in your system, you might be able to approach this that way.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#25739 - 04/29/04 12:25 AM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
or you could get a processor with upconversion.

#25740 - 04/29/04 08:37 AM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
shawnb16 Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for all the feedback. I am using a Motorola DCT5100 digital cable box that has high def built in and it works great.It also uocinverts all cable to a 480 progressive signal so depending on the original programing some look great some not so great.My preamp is a Marantz AV560 (early adoptors always pay a price ) so right now I don't even have component switching, I have to use an external switch to change between DVD and cable. I have started reading about some of the newer processors and recievers that have video upconversion and OSD through the component outputs, I really don't want to go back to a reciever and I think the most affordable preamp to offer this is the new Rotel 1068 as well as the 1098. I might have to be patient a little longer and just wait for this technology to become more common place.Does anyone know of other processor that offer this and/or how long before Outlaw revamps the 950??

#25741 - 04/29/04 09:10 AM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I actually just got finished revamping my pre/pro comparison chart , since it was getting a bit outdated. There are four pre/pros on the chart that offer upconverting: Rotel 1068, Rotel 1098, Sherwood 965, and Integra DTC-9.4. The Sherwood 965 and Rotel 1068 retail for about $1500-$1700, the Integra for $2000, and the Rotel 1098 for $3000.

There is no official word about a new Outlaw pre/pro. If I had to guess, I would say that there won't be one until some time in mid to late 2005.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#25742 - 04/29/04 09:33 AM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
It could take quite a bit of patience waiting on a new Outlaw processor to be released. Then again, Outlaw usually makes some announcements in May and June, so there may be more information soon.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in round numbers, aren’t the Rotel processors between two and four times the cost of the 950? Secondly, is your need for up-conversion for the OSD only, because the sources are already component and will just be passed through? Or will you also be up-converting some sources that are not available as component?

There are some other features that the Rotels have that the 950 does not, I would just make sure I needed them before spending quite a bit more.

If the OSD is really the make-or-break issue, and the 950 suits your needs in every other way, are there any creative ways of seeing the 950’s front display or OSD that would cost less than $1K?

Just my way of thinkin’

#25743 - 04/29/04 11:25 AM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
this may not suit you, but what i just did was get a denon avr3805 that i am gonna use as a pre/pro only (except for other zones at least). it has upconversion to component is why i bring it up. it also has a ton of features that i liked, is good quality being a denon, and was in my price range of right at $1k. i was gonna do a pure pre/pro with my amps, but i honestly didn't see any advantages in the available models that had similar specs. the 3805 has a parametric eq which is pretty cool, i dont think any pre/pro has that in its price range, differential dacs, decent remote, triggers, remote outs, etc. I haven't had it long enough to fully comment, but without having set it up taking my time (girlfriend forced me into hooking it up for a movie...), it is way better than my old unit.

#25744 - 04/29/04 12:48 PM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
shawnb16 Offline
Gunslinger

Great point bestbang4thebuck, before I started I made a list of everything I wanted in a preamp and yes the 950 fulfills everyone one except the OSD from component. I must admit spending two to three times as much solely for OSD is a bit foolish. There has to be a way to rearrange my components for visual confirmation of adjustments although I do like the fact that with the screen down all you see is the movie, no clocks no displays. Maybe it's time to make that audio closet on the side of my room.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM