Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2574 - 07/29/02 01:40 PM SACD and DVD-Audio Connection
PhilF Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have a question about Outlaw A/V 1050 Receiver. Because of the war between SACD and DVD-Audio is still going on, combo machine which can play both software won't come at an affordable price in the near future. I currently have a Sony DVP-NS900V, which can play SACD, and I consider buying a DVD Audio player soon. However, there is a big problem that 1050, as well as most receivers, only has one 5.1 analog input set. The current optical digital I/O simply cannot handle the data transmit without Fire Wire.

I read of some guys talking about using a Radio Shack switch box, however, this kind of switch box use the PCB connections inside, and I don't believe these connections can do anything better than an optical TosLink cable (even though it cannot handle the full set of data from DVD Audio signal, either).

In your opinion, are there any other options to connect both SACD and DVD Audio players to 1050 receiver with only one set of 5.1 analog audio inputs? Do 6 "Y" RCA adapters work for this purpose?

I would appreciate your help very much.

------------------
Phil

#2575 - 07/29/02 04:13 PM Re: SACD and DVD-Audio Connection
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
I don't think you'd have any problem with a switch box. A box with a mechanical switch is not going to limit the signal passing through it. It's just the inconvenience factor that may be a bother.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#2576 - 07/29/02 04:53 PM Re: SACD and DVD-Audio Connection
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The folks at HTF who have used the Radio Shack switches have seemed pretty pleased with the result. Someone at HTF was building a switchbox (selling them for around $200), but most folks seem to stick with the Rat Shack switches. There's also the approach that merc is using. Sony made a pre/pro a few years ago and left off the 5.1 input (it was before they went multichannel with SACD, and they didn't have much reason to support DVD-Audio). When a 5.1 input became a necessity, they created an add-on unit (the TA-P9000) that is a fancy 5.1 switch. It has a 5.1 bypass, a stereo bypass, and two or three 5.1 inputs. Stick one of those between your two players and your 1050 and you're set -- but it'll cost you. They are kinda hard to find (discontinued?), and I think still run in the $400-$500 range.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 118 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts