Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#25745 - 04/29/04 01:42 PM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Interesting solution, curegeorg. Once you’ve lived with the 3805 for a while, I’d be interested to know your likes and dislikes of it as a pre/pro. Compared with some of the features on the 3805, it does seem that the current 950 is showing its age. I’m not about to run out and replace my 950 tomorrow, but if the features on the 3805 draw enough consumer interest, perhaps Outlaw will include similar features on the next Outlaw pre/pro.

I'm curious, shawnb16: if deploying your screen means no equipment is visible, are you still able to control your equipment with remotes that rely on non-visible light transmission?

I seem to remember some gunslingers that connected an otherwise unused monitor to the composite output of the 950 for OSD viewing. A part of me might even like that better. Too often it seems that when I make a volume or other 950 adjustment, I’ve done so at just the wrong time to have an OSD pop up and hide some detail of what’s on screen. So my thought is: the main viewing area has no OSD; at the side or below, I set up a small monitor with the contrast and brightness set low enough to make the screen virtually black and not distracting in subdued lighting. When I actually change some parameter on the 950, then I could see the menu wherever I wanted to have the monitor placed. I suppose for this I wouldn’t want an old CRT monitor on and soaking up the watts – perhaps the most inexpensive, flat, low-wattage LCD direct-view monitor I can find? I could also have POOP instead of PIP if I wanted, depending on what was routed via the composite side while the component was being used for the main screen. (Picture-Outside-Of-Picture … who’s laughing?) Then again, POOP might be a distraction if it was visible while trying to watch the main screen.

OK - Shutting up now, sir.

[This message has been edited by bestbang4thebuck (edited April 29, 2004).]

#25746 - 04/29/04 01:45 PM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
One option (which won't help any for seeing the volume or format change while watching a movie) is to run a composite or s-video cable from the 950 to the projector, thereby getting you access to the OSD when desired. Cheaper than stepping up to a Rotel 1068.

Also, one of the 950's beta testers (RAF) set up his equipment racks with the pre/pro (originally a Denon receiver, then a 950, and I believe he's now using a Lexicon MC-8) on the bottom shelf, so that it peeked out just below the screen. It allowed the screen to cover all of the other equipment (including his TV set) while still giving him access to the front panel display. It may not work for your equipment rack, though.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#25747 - 04/29/04 02:01 PM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
73Bruin Offline
Desperado

Loc: Torrance, CA USA
While I understand that a external switch for switching between DVD and cable is inconvenient, I would caution you to do a lot of testing and not assume that any receiver or audio pre-pro will do a better job of upconverting a non-HDTV signal than your existing cable box. From what I have read and tested on my own system, most of these devices can be somewhat lacking in terms of conversion modes and/or not provide all of the component bandwith that you. You may want to save money on the audio pre-pro and look for a video processor especially with a front projector unit. I would check the Sound and Vision forum and do some research there.
Velodyne Servo FX-1200
LG OLED65C8PUA via HDMI2 to/from 976 HDMI ARC
Roku Ultra
Samsung BD-D5500 BluRay
Amazon FireStick 4K to 976 Aux HDMI input for Amazon Music Ultra

#25748 - 04/29/04 02:14 PM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
shawnb16 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North Haven, CT
I like the alternate monitor idea alot. I am able to control my components behind the screen with an IR remote setup I put together when I was planning the front projection system.
My screen comes down to with in 18" of the floor so keeping the preamp low isn't a possible solution.
To clarify one point, the video conversion isn't a desire of mine since I already have that capability, what I need is component switching. The conversion just came about because the only preamps that offer OSD through component outputs are those with video conversion.
I do have room to move the preamp outside of what the screen covers, this might look a little odd when the screen is up but it would slove the problem of being able to see the adjustments I'm making. Does the 950 have a dimming feature for it's display??
Thanks to all for all of your input, it is greatly appreciated.

#25749 - 04/29/04 02:31 PM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Although perhaps tedious, there is a lot of information available in the 950 online manual.

http://pdf2.outlawaudio.com/950manual.pdf

As far as component goes, the 950 has two in, one out. The web specs say 45MHz as the upper usable limit. Perhaps this is for standard component, but not HD?

The 950 display shows either full or half brightness. I have not found half brightness to be distracting about 2 feet from my screen, but readable if I look right at it.

#25750 - 04/29/04 03:03 PM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i have a setting on the 3805 which allows me to choose what is shown on the osd, i.e. not volume during the middle of an intense scene of a movie, but setup features, etc. interestingly enough i don't use it for video upconversion (or switching at all) though, seeing as my tv has enough jacks at the moment for what i have. in the future i am sure it will come in handy though, and is wide banded enough for hdtv, hd-dvd. i will re-post when i get some more time vested into experiencing it, so far so good (although i haven't even begun to configure the remote, which i'm sure will suck).

#25751 - 05/24/04 09:02 AM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
shawnb16 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: North Haven, CT
Hey curegeorg,
I was wondering how the Denon AVR3805 set up as a preamp was working for you? I have thought about using one of the newer recievers as a preamp but just cant find enough info or feedback from anyone doing so.
Quote:
Originally posted by curegeorg:
this may not suit you, but what i just did was get a denon avr3805 that i am gonna use as a pre/pro only (except for other zones at least). it has upconversion to component is why i bring it up. it also has a ton of features that i liked, is good quality being a denon, and was in my price range of right at $1k. i was gonna do a pure pre/pro with my amps, but i honestly didn't see any advantages in the available models that had similar specs. the 3805 has a parametric eq which is pretty cool, i dont think any pre/pro has that in its price range, differential dacs, decent remote, triggers, remote outs, etc. I haven't had it long enough to fully comment, but without having set it up taking my time (girlfriend forced me into hooking it up for a movie...), it is way better than my old unit.

#25752 - 05/25/04 09:25 AM Re: OSD from componet outputs?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
great so far. i dont have any complaints. i am planning on writing a mini review, once i take the time to evaluate it more than just being great. sound quality is very good, especially in pure direct mode for cds. i havent seen any issue/quirk while using it. the remote is nice, not the best you could ever get, but better than a lot. the 3805 is how i expected it to be. if you have any specific questions let me know.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts