Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25712 - 04/21/04 09:12 PM Fair Preamp comparisons..
Nemos2 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Huntington, WV
OK,

I own a 755 amp, and am currently running a denon 2800 AVR. The denon only has 3 preouts, and needs to be updated. In order to do some true comparison shopping, what are some of the comparable preamps out there. I want to do home theater, so..... what else should I check out.

As I said, I own the 755 and love it, so please dont flame me....just wanted to get some info so that I can do some true comparison shopping.

#25713 - 04/22/04 01:58 AM Re: Fair Preamp comparisons..
Kevin C Brown Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
The Outlaw 950, of course.

Rotel 1068. Adcom has a couple. The B&K Ref 50 might be cheap enough for you now. (What's your price limit?) Integra has a nice one. Sherwood Newcastle has a new one coming. Some others too. Personally, you might want to wait for more of them that have DPL IIx, *if* you are interested in 7.1.

I have a theory too. The 1066 came out soon before the 950. (Or maybe soon after, but the hiss thing got in the way.) Since the 1068 just came out, I bet we'll be hearing something from Outlaw in the next 2 - 4 months.

KevinVision 7.1 ... New and Improved !!

#25714 - 04/22/04 07:44 AM Re: Fair Preamp comparisons..
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My pre/pro chart is a little out of date these days -- the Rotel 1066 has been replaced by the 1068 (as Kevin mentions), Sherwood's got a new offering (the P-965), Adcom now has the GTP-880, and the receivers could probably use some updating. For the price, the 950's still tough to beat, although you might be able to find a deal on a Rotel 1066 now that the 1068 is out. Any of them would make an excellent upgrade from your 2800.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#25715 - 04/22/04 10:33 AM Re: Fair Preamp comparisons..
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
so im looking at that new sherwood pre/pro and they say it has a 24-Bit CS-49400 Crystal Processor but that model on cirrus site is 32bit... i guess ill email them. err, their website is crap and doesn't have a way to contact them except by long distance phone call. what a suspect company to put out such a poor website.

[This message has been edited by curegeorg (edited April 22, 2004).]

#25716 - 04/22/04 11:56 AM Re: Fair Preamp comparisons..
gonk Offline
Desperado

Not only that, but there's no handy forum there to ask questions of ( ) and I didn't see that they'd posted a manual for the P-965 yet.

------------------

#25717 - 04/22/04 01:14 PM Re: Fair Preamp comparisons..
jgubman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Mateo, CA
There's a Sherwood rep (Stereojeff) who's actively monitoring the Amps and Processors forum over at AVS.

This thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=160581&perpage=20&pagenumber=23
in particular has lots of questions, answers, opinions and listening impressions of the new P-965

You should ask your questions over there for a quick answer.

#25718 - 04/22/04 01:18 PM Re: Fair Preamp comparisons..
jgubman Offline
Gunslinger

And, I don't think it's fair to call the company suspect due to the quality of their website or their lack of a company-sponsored forum.

Sure, if they're an internet only outfit you'd have a valid point, but Sherwood is relying much more on their dealers and custom installers to get product information out there.

I agree that they could make their website more of a company priority, but in no way do I think it makes them "suspect" simply because they haven't posted their latest owner's manual yet.

#25719 - 04/22/04 01:58 PM Re: Fair Preamp comparisons..
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
And, I don't think it's fair to call the company suspect due to the quality of their website or their lack of a company-sponsored forum.

I agree, which is why my comment about a forum was followed by a smiley. This forum is a convenient resource for people interested in Outlaw (similar to the presence maintained by some manufacturers at forums like AVS and HTF, although perhaps easier to locate) that certainly plays a role in many people's buying decision, but it's hardly an essential part of business. As for Sherwood's site, it's better than some I've seen (although the absence of a list of retailers would be a bit of a hassle if I were interested in their product). Curegeorg's choice of the word "suspect" was a bit harsh, especially regarding a 50-year-old company like Sherwood.

------------------

#25720 - 04/22/04 05:47 PM Re: Fair Preamp comparisons..
jgubman Offline
Gunslinger

Agreed!

I also love having a direct "ear" to a company. In fact nowadays I find myself really only looking at companies that have forums (either on their sites, like Outlaw or on a general audio manufacturer's site like AudioCircles or HarmonicDiscord).

Great way to research products and find out about upcoming developments.

#25721 - 04/22/04 11:47 PM Re: Fair Preamp comparisons..
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
its nice to be able to contact someone at a company by email. its nice to be able to view in depth information about their products on their website. its nice for them to entice me to buy their product instead of make me question why they dont have much support for it. www.anthemav.com has all youd want to know about the avm20... just my thoughts, why have a website AT ALL if it sucks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 79 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM