Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25644 - 04/04/04 08:13 PM 950 sound
Cowrock Offline
Gunslinger

Hey folks, my brother just got and set up his first Outlaw products. He got the 950 and 5 M200's, I've had a 1050 for several years and have enjoyed it completely. I talked to him this afternoon and he's rather dissapointed with the sound! He's comparing the sound to Carver in that it's on the bright, harsh side.
I've not heard that the 950 or M200's have a "bright" sound. He has Monitor Audio speakers and I don't think that they have an overly bright sound either. Does anyone else have a similar oppinion, or heard of a similar complaint?
I'd hate to see him return the Outlaw's I'm hoping that something isn't quite right with the set up. If anyone has any thoughts please post them.

Thanks,

Dave

#25645 - 04/07/04 09:48 AM Re: 950 sound
Alejate Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Albany, NY
I have not heard a Carver in years, so I am in no position to make a comparison. Does the 950 sound bright? Tough question. It sounds much more detailed than my H/K, but I'm not sure if I would call that "bright." Because of this ability, the 950 will reveal details at all frequency levels, including the higher frequencies which may be what your brother is noticing. Have him listen to CDs and DVDs for a while, (after all he has 30 days), and see if he starts noticing details in the recordings that he did not notice with the Carver. If so, then the Carver's "warm" sound may be the result of sacrificing detail. However, the bottom line is he should purchase what sounds pleasing to him. As a side note, check the polarity of his speaker connections to make sure they did not get reversed.

#25646 - 04/15/04 11:30 PM Re: 950 sound
DOBEMAN Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lake Michigan Shoreline, MI
I own both the Outlaw 950 and Monitor Audio Gold 60 series. If he has the Gold 60's he should not be hearing any forward sound. If the Monitors have had time to break in and they have been calibrated with the 950 his system he should be good to go. If he has the Monitor Audio Silver series he may be missing a little on the bottom. I used both the Outlaw amp and a Parasound with my Silver series and found the Parasound matched up well with them and helped give them a fuller bass responce. He may not be hearing brightness from the 950 or the Monitors, but a more defined sound, with separation and clarity. It may be so revealing that he is hearing some of his material for the first time the way it was recorded. Audition different music and Movies as Alejate suggests, he has nothing to loose with a 30 day home trial.

#25647 - 04/16/04 03:19 PM Re: 950 sound
audvid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairview, TX
There's kind of an interesting "exchange of ideas" between Soundhound and Willscary concerning "break-in" in this post http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/001216.html

Willscary refers to receiving his 950 and he thinking it was "brighter than his NAD". But after awhile it seemed to change during a "break-in" period it and how it got got "smoother and sweeter".

As a prospective buyer in the near future I'm very interested to see how it turns out for your brother.

Keep us posted.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 96 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts