Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#247 - 09/18/01 04:03 PM fm reception
madduck Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: walnut creek, ca. usa
about my only compaint is the the supplied antenna, (weak) I purchased a terk am/fm antenna, sound improved but still not as clean as it should be. I live in the SF bay area. any suggestions and would a power antenna be of any help

thanks

#248 - 11/03/01 10:24 PM Re: fm reception
Tommyboy_MSU Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
I agree, I can only get in 4 channels in the Stafford, VA area. My clock radio can get in 12!

#249 - 11/03/01 11:42 PM Re: fm reception
stott Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA
I live in the SF bay area also. I think the radio stations out here are just have pretty weak signals. I don't bother with radio except in the car so I can't be much help. Sorry

------------------
Stott

#250 - 11/05/01 08:35 AM Re: fm reception
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
This is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but a few months ago, I researched the same problem. If found a home build antenna designed by an amateur radio guy, which seemed interesting. A similar design had a guy reportedly receiving stations from hundreds of miles away. I found the plans et al at "http://www.n7qvc.com/amateur_radio/copper.html"

I never got around to building it, as there was too much going on at the time and I had recently gotten digital cable, which had 20 or so music only channels, which get the job done in a pinch.

So if you're crafty and have an attic to put the ugly thing in, maybe the design would be a relaxing project. Otherwise, I can only say that the powered antenna I paid $80 one time before made 1 station clear, while killing reception for all others, so I took it back and won't ever buy one again. But that's just my experience.

Good luck.

S.

#251 - 11/05/01 07:56 PM Re: fm reception
freyder Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

That antenna is optimized for 144Mhz or 440Mhz.

I suppose it might do ok but FM is in the
88-107 Range.

#252 - 11/06/01 08:34 AM Re: fm reception
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Freyder, I was wondering if you were a radio guru and have a background with this or similar antennas or if you were paying attention to something I missed on the web site. I knew the antenna was not designed for FM band and the antenna handbook might shed some light on a design modification to change the reception frequency range, but with all the random projects I have going on, I knew I couldn't do another one justice.

Do you have experience with this stuff???

S.

[This message has been edited by MrSandman (edited November 06, 2001).]

#253 - 11/06/01 08:56 AM Re: fm reception
freyder Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yes. I am a HAM radio guy too... KC5HOK...

I have actually built a J-pole antenna and they do work well. They are not difficult to build either.

Since we are talking about FM.. the antenna would work best if it were "longer"...

The frequency range we want is lower; the antenna must be longer.

It might actually work just fine the way he shows it but an optimum setup would be to adjust the setup for the 80-107Mhz band as opposed to the 144-146Mhz band as our friend has done. These adjustments would require that we lengthen the two sections appropriately. The formula and alternate design can be found here http://www.mycal.net/projects/mpr/jpole.htm

Also, he has the "curly" loop up at the top. I believe this is what provides the 440Mhz functionality and that is certainly unneccesary for FM listening. Eliminating this would simplify the design and construction.

Hope this helps.

Oh. These antennas are omnidirectional.
If you want to get REAL serious about this go for a Yagi antenna that is HIGHLY directional. They require that you "point" them in the direction of the radio tower but provide the best performance.

A TV antenna on a tower with a rotor would be ideal.

#254 - 11/06/01 05:27 PM Re: fm reception
mediahound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
some local cable tv companies carry the fm stations through the cable. you might try hooking up your cable tv coax to the outlaw fm antenna jack and see if you get anything. if so, you could buy a splitter and split it into your tv and the outlaw and you'd be all set...

#255 - 11/08/01 11:56 AM Re: fm reception
SuprDav Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gee, I don't know if that Freyder guy really knows what he is talking about? (Just kidding Mr. Deadhead!!) In a previous home I used a Radio Shack FM antenna ($12 - awhile back) in the attic with a splitter to a few different stereos. I was amazed at the improved sound quality. You could also use a TV antenna because I believe FM is somewhere between channels 6 and 7. If you have a specific station then an antenna cut for that frequency would be the best. I have a book called Joe Carr's Receiving Antenna which is pretty informative.

http://www.dxing.com/tnotes.htm

I would be hesitant on the FM cable if you can do a separate antenna. Some cable companies charge an additional fee for this. While I am not the HAM that Freyder is (both figuratively and technically), there is some element of signal separation rated in db that may best be avoided with cable. I could be wrong about that since the specific discussion I had with the "cable guy" was involving the separation of an A-B switch.

#256 - 11/10/01 01:00 AM Re: fm reception
freyder Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Geez... Ya think ya know I guy... and then....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM