Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25584 - 03/22/04 01:29 PM 950 Stereo Sub Question
SPasse Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Forney, Texas, USA
Hi All,

I am looking to purchase a model 950 and I have the following question;

I want to use stereo subs and I have an active subwoofer crossover.

Could I use the Tape In/Out jack go to my crossover? I.e. the Tape Out would go to the input of my active crossover and the High Pass Output of my crossover would connect to the Tape Input of my 950?

The Lowpass Stereo Output would go to my Stereo Sub’s amplifier.

Please advise.

Regards,

Scott

#25585 - 03/22/04 01:47 PM Re: 950 Stereo Sub Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The tape output (like the VCR record out and the zone 2 output) is a purely analog circuit -- digital sources are not passed to these outputs. That means that all sources would need to include a stereo analog input. Also, if the crossover is being connected back to the tape input, the high pass signal will only be recognized by the 950 when the tape input is selected.

This arrangement could be made to work if the crossover's input connected to the left and right preamp outputs of the 950, the high pass output connected to your amp, and the lowpass output then connected to your subs. In this case, you would need to set the sub to "off" at the 950 and set the mains to "large" in order to make sure the LFE material from 5.1 sources was not lost. This arrangement would not work well with the 5.1 analog input, as the LFE channel going to that input passes to the 950's subwoofer out and would therefore be lost. If you have DVD-Audio or SACD, you would need to have a player with at least enough bass management capability to re-route the LFE channel to the mains to avoid this.

------------------
gonk -- 950 Review | LFM-1 Review | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | Saloon Links

#25586 - 03/22/04 02:16 PM Re: 950 Stereo Sub Question
SPasse Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk,

I need some clarification:

1 Also, if the crossover is being connected back to the tape input, the high pass signal will only be recognized by the 950 when the tape input is selected.

Are you saying the “Tape Input” is not a Tape Monitor Loop, I.e. you can not have the Tape Input selected independent of other input sources?

2 This arrangement could be made to work if the crossover's input connected to the left and right preamp outputs of the 950,

I am looking at the PDF owners’ manual which shows the back of rear panel. I don’t see jacks labeled “Preamp Output”. Do you mean the “Zone Output” jacks?

3 This arrangement would not work well with the 5.1 analog input, as the LFE channel going to that input passes to the 950's subwoofer out and would therefore be lost. 5.1 Analog Input, or Analog Output? With the Base Management turned off, wouldn’t low bass be present in the “Zone Output” jacks, regardless of the analog input source?

Regards,
Scott

[This message has been edited by SPasse (edited March 22, 2004).]

#25587 - 03/22/04 02:34 PM Re: 950 Stereo Sub Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

1. That is correct, the tape input is not a tape monitor. It behaves the same as every other input.

2. The preamp outputs are the outputs which are connected to the power amp -- they are the set of eight jacks labeled "OUTPUT", and the two you would be interested in are the left and right channels.

3. The 5.1 analog input (located above the "OUTPUT") is used typically for DVD-Audio and SACD sources, which are two high resolution and multi-channel audio formats that cannot currently be output digitally, hence the need for six analog interconnects to carry the signal. The 950 (and 99.9% of all other receivers and pre/pros) leave this analog input in the analog domain, bypassing all internal bass management in the process. That means that the 950 cannot redirect the LFE signal from a DVD-Audio or SACD player (which, like Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks, includes a dedicated track just for low freq effects) to the mains -- the LFE signal passes straight through to the subwoofer output, which you would not be using in the arrangement we are talking about.

Have I helped any, or confused you further?

------------------

#25588 - 03/22/04 02:43 PM Re: 950 Stereo Sub Question
SPasse Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk,

So I sounds like I should use the mono sub output (with the bass management) to connect to a y-adapter which will drive my two subs with a mono signal.

The crossover point for my subs will be set a 60Hz so I guess I won’t lose much localization running mono subs.

Regards,

Scott

#25589 - 03/22/04 06:15 PM Re: 950 Stereo Sub Question
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Since you have the sub crossover already how about just use a splitter on the front L/R ouputs. 950 set to Large, no sub.

#25590 - 03/22/04 06:35 PM Re: 950 Stereo Sub Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

If you have no plans to include DVD-Audio or SACD in your setup, then I see no reason to abandon the idea of putting the sub crossover between 950 and amp (or splitting the signal as Keta suggests -- the splitter arrangement would create a "double bass" scenario since the mains would still be getting the low frequency information that the subs are reproducing, but it's a matter of debate as to just how noticeable that extra bass actually is). You should be aware that if you do add a DVD-Audio or SACD player, the best bet would probably be to go to the splitter off of the 950's sub output or to employ something like the Outlaw ICBM, which can accept the LFE input and blend that with the low frequency information from the mains. With a 60Hz crossover point, I agree that you would probably not lose much by going to dual mono subs, but some of the stereo sub users around here may have a better feel for it.

------------------

#25591 - 03/23/04 10:10 AM Re: 950 Stereo Sub Question
SPasse Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Gonk,

Thanks for that input.

My home theater has been packed up for two years and I am just now getting the chance to set it up, since my move to Texas. I have a great “media” room that I am constructing a built in equipment rack for.

http://www.spasse.homestead.com/HomeTheater.html

My surround sound processor is an old Yamaha DSP-E580 Dolby Pro Logic Decoder (Pre Dolby 5.1) with 3 Carver M-400 Power Amps so I know I need a 950 in a very bad way. (No nasty comments about M-400 Amps Please )

I have also been looking at an Outlaw ICBM to replace my current Heath active subwoofer crossover.

Regards,

Scott

#25592 - 03/23/04 10:50 AM Re: 950 Stereo Sub Question
gonk Offline
Desperado

Having come from a Yamaha Pro-Logic receiver (albeit not directly, since there was an Outlaw 1050 in there along the way), I will say that the 950 would make a great upgrade.

Depending on your bass management needs, you may find that the 950's built-in bass management (a significant step up from the pro-logic days) may satisfy your needs without any external crossovers. The ICBM's a slick piece of gear that you would likely be glad you had, but you might want to get the 950 first and see if it does all you need. If you find yourself wanting more, the ICBM could always be added later to help you with that.

------------------

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts