Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25538 - 03/13/04 01:48 PM 5.1 from DTS But not from Dolby Pro
Rick Butor Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Sarasota, Fl
I just got my 950-755 combo Fri, and Steve of Outlaw metioned that I should connect the Sony 9000ES DVD out to both Optical 1,and audio cd in on the 950. My problem is that I revieve full 5.1 on DTS but not Dolby, no rear speakers. The rears are not working on anything but DVD DTS. Cable TV is also only on front, center and sub but no rears. What is up? It has got to be me missing something. Help!

#25539 - 03/13/04 08:16 PM Re: 5.1 from DTS But not from Dolby Pro
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
Rick:

As a place to start, check your setup in the Sony to make sure you're passing the Dolby digital signal properly.

Cable TV is often only monaural which wouldn't put any sound to the rear. When it IS stereo content, be sure you've selected the DPL2 or Neo:6 modes if you want to synthesize surround effects.

In some cases, your cable supplier MAY forward DD5.1 on some premium channel content. If you have a digital cable going to your 950 from the cable box, you should receive that content in digital surround, too. (But not if you don't have a digital audio cable connecting the two.)

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited March 13, 2004).]

#25540 - 03/14/04 12:42 PM Re: 5.1 from DTS But not from Dolby Pro
Rick Butor Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks, I got it to work. My rears are unfortunately in the ceiling and I upped the signal to them after trying your sugestion.
Another question is should I connect component video cables from the DVD to the 950 then to the Mitsabishi TV? It works now without them, going directly from the DVD to the Mits. whats the advantage?
Plus I want the OSD from the 950 to display everytime that I access it, I have an S-video cable going from the 950 to a video 3 imput on the Mits, and it display now only when I switch the Mits to imput 3.
Also when setting up crossover points for each speaker, mine state Crossover Frequency 450Hz mains, 350Hz-4.5kHz center, 3.5kHz rears. The 950 offers something like 30-150. What to do?

#25541 - 03/14/04 02:38 PM Re: 5.1 from DTS But not from Dolby Pro
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Glad to hear you're in business, Rick.

Except for the convenience of switching and seeing the OSD, there is no reason to run the component signal through the 950. In fact, I would suggest against it because even though the 950's video circuitry is very good it can compromise the picture quality just a bit on a large screen display. But then, I admit, I'm anal when it comes to video quality, probably unreasonably so.

In short, I'd leave your video hooked up exactly as you have it and just switch to video 3 when you need to see the OSD. For my part, I just glance back at the LED display to verify surround mode, etc.

Those suggested crossover points for your speakers are unique in my experience. I'm not used to seeing crossovers so high. (Is it possible you're looking at the speaker specification indicating how the speaker's internal crossover works?)

What kind of speakers are they? Without knowing anything about them, I'd suggest starting with 80Hz crossover all around and then just experiment until you get the sound quality you like.

Now that all of your speakers are working, by the way, you might want to go to Radio Shack, purchase an inexpensive (under $40) sound pressure level meter and calibrate your 950's audio output.

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited March 14, 2004).]

#25542 - 03/14/04 07:45 PM Re: 5.1 from DTS But not from Dolby Pro
Rick Butor Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks again Boblinds, I already have the RS sound meter, my mains are Martin Logan Aeon's, Atlantic Technology's center and rears in wall (ceiling). Can you actually hear a difference when you mess with the crossover? If I can I will try some choices. While we are at it, my sub is a Velodyne HGS 10 powered sub, and when I attempted balancing the test tone I couldn't get the vollume to match the other speakers on the meter, or even close. Is that nessasary, as I just adjust it to my liking, per movie with its own volume knob.
By the way thanks for your much appreciated help.

#25543 - 03/15/04 03:37 PM Re: 5.1 from DTS But not from Dolby Pro
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Very nice speaker choices.

I'd try those Martin Logans (rated down to 22k, by the way) at either a 40k or 60k crossover. Just see which one gives you the bass response that pleases you the most. Listen -- for instance -- to the musicality of a bass line and determine which has the most presence and is easier to identify the actual pitch of the notes. Go with that setting. (I use 60k with my NHT 2.5's)

I'd experiment between 60-100K settings for your center and surround. In my experience, dialog tracks are a bit clearer with an 80-100K crossover on the center.

For the surrounds, in my experience a lower crossover (60K) will provide more body and fullness because it places more upper bass in those speakers. However, it can get a little claustrophobic and tiring in some setups. (I use the standard 80k.)

Higher surround crossovers (80-100K) tend to provide a more open, airy sound in the surround tracks but settings above the "standard" 80K can provide a bit less impact throughout the room when crap blows up. (I suspect part of this is actually more related to psychoacoustics than actual frequency response.)

In any case, the really low (generally synthesized) movie bass effects will reliably go to the subwoofer.

The other thing that is worth tweaking "to taste" is the surround delay. Initially set them for the actual footage measurements in your room and then play around with the center and surround distances.

A bit of difference in the center channel may tend to "dial in" the clarity of the dialog track.

Setting the surround distances to lower numbers will tend to give a sense of more open space but can eventually get too reverberant-like and disconnect the front-to-back imaging. Longer surround distances will tighten up the soundfield, sometimes increase the overall impact of the sound, but -- when overdone -- can make it hard to make out the surround content.

There are no "rules" here -- contrary to what some will claim. It's all a matter of personal taste combined with the acoustical properties of your speakers, your room, and your spatial setup.

In fact, when movies are mixed, they don't use any surround delay at all other than the natural acoustical delay of the mixing stage.

The RS meter has a deficiency in the bass response that is well documented. You'll want to adjust the bass response a bit higher (5-10db) than your other speakers to get it right. And at that point, "season to taste." If you want more or less bass, just do it.

And have fun! That's what it's all about.

Bob

PS -- I see you're in Sarasota. Back in 1979 I played the Van Wezel Performing Arts center when I was conducting a tour of a Gilbert and Sullivan show. I loved stepping out of the stage door between acts and seeing the gulf.

[This message has been edited by boblinds (edited March 15, 2004).]

#25544 - 03/16/04 01:17 AM Re: 5.1 from DTS But not from Dolby Pro
Rick Butor Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you so much again Bo,
I can call you that can't I? That is well worth trying. I give it a shot Tuesday and report back. I used to have the NHT 2.5 as well and traded them in for the ML's. Never looked back. And yes the Van is set in a beautiful place. Come on down and check it out again they redid it 2 years ago. One other question. I just got some Ultralink speaker whire w/o spades or banana clips. A pain to work with and can't fit it into the hole on the back of the 750 speaker posts as the whire is too thick. What to do with that? Can I attach spades? Is it hard? I already have Monster M serries with bananas and the guy said It would pay off to switch. What do you thick?
Thanks.

#25545 - 03/16/04 04:02 AM Re: 5.1 from DTS But not from Dolby Pro
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

The guy to ask about the speaker wire terminators is probably Soundhound. Frankly, I think the whole mystique around speaker connectors is overrated. As long as you have a good mechanical connection between the wire and the speaker lug, it should be fine, whether bare wire, spade or banana plug, IMHO.

Bo? Well, you can call me that and you'll be the only person who does.

By the way, if you like horror films, I saw a preview of "Dawn of the Dead" over at the Universal lot tonight. Surprisingly good, IMHO. Very violent. Very gory.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 143 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts