Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25415 - 02/20/04 07:30 PM Quirks and Fixes?
Lasher Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Oak Ridge TN.
For those following my moving saga: if all goes well I should be moving into my new house over the course of next week and setting up my new 950/7100. I figured since I’m still waiting to hook everything up I would try to find out what problems I could avoid. My question to my fellow Outlaws would be, has anyone compiled a list of the 950’s known quirks and the work a rounds and fixes for them? I know there are only a few that really seem to keep showing up but I would like to know how to fix or avoid them. Any info would help me out a lot.

Thanks in advance
Lasher

#25416 - 02/21/04 01:59 PM Re: Quirks and Fixes?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are some bass management configuration tricks that are dependent on your equipment and speaker configuration, and there are some remote control tricks/quirks that I've seen kicked around a bit. As far as hooking everything up, the only thing that occurs to me is the analog signal path for record loops and zone 2: if you plan to use a source like a DVD player, CD player, or digital cable/satellite receiver with the zone 2 output or with the VCR/tape record outputs, you will want to run stereo analog audio cables from those sources even if you'll be using a digital cable for normal listening.

There are two related remote control tricks that doesn't have anything to do with the wiring in back but will be useful if you'll be using a DVD-A/SACD capable DVD player or using your DVD player to listen to CD's in stereo mode. I've used both of them and found them to be very helpful. For DVD-Audio and SACD players, create a macro on the 950's remote to switch the input to the 6CH input; this allows you to select the "DVD" control on the remote without having to then press "950" on the remote, select "6CH," and then cover the front of the remote while pressing "DVD" again (pressing "DVD" without covering it would change the input back to DVD). This also ensures that you have a surround mode selected before switching to the 6CH input, avoiding the stereo bug on that input. For listening to CD's in stereo through a DVD player, assign the DVD player's digital input to an auxiliary input (I use AUX1), set it to play back in stereo only, and create another macro to switch to that aux input. Then select DVD on the remote and hit that macro button to switch to the stereo mode. That allows you to leave the DVD input in surround processing mode, relieving you of the need to switch processing modes between stereo and surround for CD and DVD playback.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts