Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25363 - 02/16/04 07:05 PM Is the 950 showing it's age?
bobby c Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Silver Spring, MD
Hi All,

Not one to stir up trouble, but I'm about 1/2 done with building my HT and want to buy separates for the room. I've heard & like the 950, my only concern is if it getting a bit long in the tooth from age. Any feedback on this? I'm not one who likes to wait for the 'next great thing', however as I am learning, HT technology seems to change every time I turn around. Any thoughts on the life cycle of the unit?

Most likely just some pre-purchase jitters, I'll most likely buy this in the next week.

#25364 - 02/16/04 07:27 PM Re: Is the 950 showing it's age?
Bytor Offline
Gunslinger

Hi Bobby,
I can tell you that before I bought my 950, I researched long and hard. I work with a guy who considers himself an audiophile, (actually, he's more like an audio snob, but thats another story) and in the end, my best measurement was comparing the 950 to the Anthem AVM-20 ($3400 US!!) which my co-worker happens to own. The Outlaw had some features the Anthem didn't (assignable inputs, S-video to Composite conversion to name the two main ones) which my co-worker said he wished he had. In my opinion, there is no deal anywhere like the 950, but you have to do the research and decide for yourself. Have a look at http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/outlaw_950.htm for a professional review which compares the 950 to the Anthem. As to how "leading-edge" the technology is, I had the same question in mind when I started looking, and I am satisfied that I got not only current A/V technology, but also the features I really want, without having to pay a "leading-edge" price.

YMMV, but hey, enjoy this time, deciding on stuff like this is half the fun!.

#25365 - 02/17/04 04:38 AM Re: Is the 950 showing it's age?
Will Offline
Desperado

Loc: LA's The Place
The 950 is still, today, the cheapest new pre/pro with DPL II you can buy. But the 950 has been out for two years. Yes, it's definitely showing its age, just as most any solid state equipment made two years ago, would. The 950's user interface ergonomics was never its strong suit, and today is farther from the state of the art.

However most people even today think it sounds pretty good.

But if you want something newer that doesn't cost too much more, consider the NAD T163, or the upcoming (not yet out) Sherwood Newcastle P-965 pre/pro/tuner (which lists for $1500 but should sell for less), or the upcoming Rotel 1068 pre/pro. The Rotel 1068 replaces the Rotel 1066 pre/pro which is the same generation as the Outlaw 950 -- they came out at about the same time.

The new Sherwood Newcastle and the new Rotel are expected to have DPL IIx whereas the older Rotel and the Outlaw just have DPL II. The NAD T163 only has DPL II.

Best,

Will

[This message has been edited by Will (edited February 17, 2004).]

#25366 - 02/17/04 10:08 AM Re: Is the 950 showing it's age?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The 950 isn't brand new to market, but it still offers a very good range of features. I expect to see the 950 hanging around for a good long while.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#25367 - 02/17/04 12:01 PM Re: Is the 950 showing it's age?
cburbs Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: de pere
I have had my Pioneer 811 since June of 2002 and the only change since then really has been the addition of DPL IIx this year feature wise.
The key thing is to not think about what might come out next but what features do you want now....DD, DTS, DPL II, types of inputs do you need. Look for that in a receiver..then compare a few and buy the one that appeals to you the most...

#25368 - 02/17/04 03:43 PM Re: Is the 950 showing it's age?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
i would think that the 950 is going to be replaced soon, i hope it is at least.

#25369 - 02/17/04 04:59 PM Re: Is the 950 showing it's age?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Of course nobody outside Outlaw can know for sure, but I believe that the Model 950 will not be replaced for at least another year. That's based on a combination of instinct and several years of observing Outlaw's product development from the perspective of consumer. Outlaw may produce a "big brother" to the 950 (which they would probably only do if they could incorporate a very wide range of connectivity features -- digital DVD-A/SACD input, DVI and/or HDMI switching, etc. -- and user interface/configuration options), or they may let the 950 remain their only pre/pro until a direct successor is ready (an updated 950 would likely be in the same <$1000 price range with comparable or better audio performance and an up-to-date processing feature set). Either way, I can't imagine the 950 being replaced any time before the spring or so of 2005.

Granted, this is purely speculation on my part, but it matches Outlaw's previous product development trends.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#25370 - 02/18/04 10:36 AM Re: Is the 950 showing it's age?
Philip Hamm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern Virginia, USA
The competition is going to get really tough when Sherwood Newcastle finally releases their new prepro. I had the original AV-P9080 and it was a hell of a piece. In many ways it was better than my 950. It sounded just as good (that was in my 5.1 only days), had input renaming which is a great usability feature, and had the same very nice universal remote.

If I were buying today I'd give it a serious look. Of course, I'd probably buy the 950 anyway because of the price, but if I had a $1200 budget the new Sherwood Newcastle unit would be top on my list.

------------------
Philip Hamm

Who's Online
0 registered (), 128 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts