Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25238 - 02/06/04 03:04 PM Anybody else have buzzing problem?
willywaxer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR
I just sent in my 950 for repair of a buzzing problem that is puzzling me. I first thought it was a ground loop problem, but it made the buzz without any cables plugged in and on any outlet (even at a neighbors). Another sign was that the 7100 (or any of the other components) in my system does not buzz. Now I'm thinking it is a transformer problem, and am wondering how common this is. Well, does anybody else hear their 950 from 6 ft away during quiet passages?

#25239 - 02/06/04 03:11 PM Re: Anybody else have buzzing problem?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'd classify it as pretty darn uncommon. I've never encountered it, and it's not a complaint that I ever recall being reported here on the forum, and we tend to hear about most of the quirks that folks run into.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#25240 - 02/06/04 04:38 PM Re: Anybody else have buzzing problem?
willywaxer Offline
Gunslinger

That's what I thought, after doing a forum search. There were a few reports of amps buzzing, but not the 950. So is your 950 completely silent? My thought was it should be. Mine was when I first got it, but this problem recently developed and I had to return the unit for repair. Sucks that I'm out a few weeks but I hope they can fix it. I got the unit in July '03. Is there a new firmware upgrade or anything that you know of I should ask them to do while it is in the shop?

#25241 - 02/06/04 04:43 PM Re: Anybody else have buzzing problem?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've never pressed my ear to my 950 and listened, but I've had my head within inches of it (doing speaker wiring with the amps off and the 950 on) and never heard anything. I'd call it completely silent. As for updates, there's nothing newer than what you already have (the DTS-ES fix went in around mid-March 2003, and that's the latest change).

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#25242 - 02/08/04 01:57 AM Re: Anybody else have buzzing problem?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
This is very weird. I spoke with Steve about a similar problem a couple months ago. I have a similar buzz but only when a certain lamp that is plugged into the same outlet as my gear is turned on. Steve felt it was a ground integrity (sp?) problem. The buzz is audible from a few ft. during very quiet passages but it goes away when either the lamp is turned off or it is unplugged.

I am very curious about what happens with your 950. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

#25243 - 02/09/04 12:24 PM Re: Anybody else have buzzing problem?
Carver1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I had a 950 that "buzzed". It buzzed when it was in "standby" mode and when it was fully powered up. This leads me to think that the problem was with the standby transformer. The buzz could be heard from several feet away (when it was buzzing, other times it was silent).

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited February 09, 2004).]

#25244 - 02/23/04 02:27 PM Re: Anybody else have buzzing problem?
willywaxer Offline
Gunslinger

Hmmm Carver (or should I say Hummm?)...Sounds like the same problem I had. What did they do for you? I am still waiting for mine, and haven't heard one word from Outlaw yet. Three weeks is too long to be without a system. Other companies I have dealt with send out a replacement unit. I'm not so sure I would buy from these guys again. I am already shopping around for a replacement.

#25245 - 02/23/04 04:18 PM Re: Anybody else have buzzing problem?
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Willywaxer,

I am sorry to hear about the difficulty you are having with the 950. Your unit was received on 2/10/04. While we do require 2-3 weeks for repairs (you're at 13 days) I will contact you as early as tomorrow with a status update.

aej09,

If a lamp (many times fluorescent but not always) causes a buzz or hum, it is a ground loop hum. Ground loops are caused by having two or more products with different ground potentials. In these circumstances, neither product is defective you just need to find a way to compensate for the hum.

Carver 1,

A buzz that is "sometimes there and sometimes not" is typically indicative of a voltage sag or a variation in the 60 Hz frequency with which your power comes in. If the buzz fluctuates in volume when it's present, it may be an indication that DC is seeping into your line. DC blockers are available if you are still experiencing this problem. If so, we would be more than happy to help you source one. If the intensity with which the buzz occurs does not fluctuate when it is present than you may have "dirty" power. These power issues can be overcome using a power conditioner with voltage reulation.

Best,

Scott

#25246 - 02/24/04 08:47 AM Re: Anybody else have buzzing problem?
Carver1 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I have to admit, the Outlaws have a good forum. With that said, I decided to return my 950. I had two units with intermittent problems and the Buzzing just made my decision for me.

I have a lot of electronic equipment at home and the power supplies do not buzz, so I don’t think that the 950 should be doing it. If it is indeed susceptible to line noise, then the Outlaws should design the unit with the proper power supply isolation (filtering).

It did cost me $32 to “rent” the 950 for a few weeks, but it was the only way to see (perhaps I should say hear?) how the 950 preamp behaved.

I did purchase another preamp. It did cost more than the Outlaw unit, but I'm very happy with it.

#25247 - 02/24/04 09:59 AM Re: Anybody else have buzzing problem?
willywaxer Offline
Gunslinger

Ground loop problems are very common and noticable when you have high amplification. I don't think you can blame Outlaw for this, and to their credit, they give good recommendations on how to cure the problem in their manuals. The problem I have is likely to be rare, as it buzzes without anything hooked up. Probably a transformer that went bad, but I am waiting to hear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM