Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#25234 - 01/10/05 02:08 PM Re: 6-channel input doesn't work !!!
Jamin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Greenville, SC
I e-mailed Outlaw asking them about this 2-channel to 6-channel bug and this was the reply:

"The feature you are describing is intentional and helps to ensure the highest quality playback. Though the user you have quoted perceived this as a software glitch, it is not. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

I'm confused how this is a feature... I didn't see this feature listed in the manual or anywhere else. Can anyone explain how this is a feature?

#25235 - 01/10/05 02:30 PM Re: 6-channel input doesn't work !!!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I hadn't heard this before, so I can only guess. If it is was intentionally included in the design, then it is most likely a mute of some sort applied to unused channels when in stereo mode to prevent unwanted interference or noise from reaching the amps. It could be considered similar to the "disable video" option included in many DVD-Audio players allowing the player's video circuitry to be shut down during playback to minimize signal traffic (and possible EMI) in the chassis.

At first glance, this sounds a bit odd, but on closer reflection it reminds me of one aspect of the 950's analog bass management design. In that case, the design team made a very deliberate decision to configure the crossovers in a specific way - a way that some people have disagreed with - in hopes of optimizing performance for most users. The crossover design came to light during the 950's initial roll-out, and even though there was the opportunity to change the 950 at that time they elected to stick with their original design because they felt it was the best solution for most prospective 950 owners. The bug we're looking at here could be similar - something they did intentionally to optimize stereo playback performance. Just a thought...

#25236 - 01/10/05 02:48 PM Re: 6-channel input doesn't work !!!
Scott Offline
Desperado

Hello Jamin,

As suggested by Gonk, this feature is analogous to a video muting circuit. Can you really hear the difference when video circuitry is disable on most HT systems? Maybe, maybe not. Along that same principal we have selected to offer a means in which to mute channels that are not being used in an effort to maximize the 950's bypass performance. We do apologize for any inconvenience that is caused by this feature's implementation.

#25237 - 01/10/05 06:01 PM Re: 6-channel input doesn't work !!!
Jamin Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Greenville, SC
Thanks for the replies. I totally understand now why it's being done.

And really, I don't think it would be much inconvenience - I can simply setup extra step(s) in my macros to make sure it goes into the full 6-channel mode.

I'm still doing research to decide if the 950 has all the features I want, but it sounds like it'll be a good match.

thanks!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
1 registered (butchgo), 118 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts