Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25162 - 01/29/04 11:16 PM Pre-Amp Out for Transducer
mdickson Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I just got my 950/7100 combo today, and setting it up has been a treat! I ran into one problem...how the heck do I hook up my tactile transducer? On my old receiver, I used the Right channel Pre-Out, which gave a full-range signal to the Right Line In on an old AudioSource amp. Anyone have suggestions/recommendations?

#25163 - 01/30/04 12:06 AM Re: Pre-Amp Out for Transducer
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Is the transducer self-powered? Are you running a 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 set-up (ie. are you using all of the 770's channels? Do you still have the old audiosource amp?)

Here's some possible solutions depending on some of the answers to those questions.

Split the LFE/sub output. If the transducer is self-powered connect it directly to one of the split signals. If it needs its own amp, use the audiosource. If you're doing 5.1 or 6.1 use one of the spare 770 channels instead.

Run the other split to the sub. Then re-calibrate the sub level in case it has changed due to the split. Presumably there's a gain control on the transducer as well. Adjust it to suit / match.

Then again I could be wrong.

Jeff Mackwood

#25164 - 01/30/04 12:22 AM Re: Pre-Amp Out for Transducer
Paul J. Stiles Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mountain View, CA, USofA
tactile transducer?

Does it take batteries? And is it shaped like a ... oops ... nevermind.

Seriouly, the tactile transducer accepts frequencies in the same range as those of a subwoofer (or perhaps lower) so I would suggest using a sub-out signal frome the 950 going to an available channel of your power amp. If you have an available channel of the 7100 free, try it. If all channels of the 7100 are being used (I would be reluctant to parallel a passive subwoofer with your tactile transducer and run the combination off of one channel of the 7100), then I would suggest This.

This: Get a y-type RCA jack splitter and connect it (the single end) to the subwoofer out of the 950. One end of the y-splitter output goes to the 7100 channel for the subwoofer. The other output of the y-splitter goes to your AudioSource amp. The AudioSource amp then drives the tactile transducer. Conclusion: both the subwoofer (if you have one) and the tactile transducer only work with low, low frequencies, thus my suggestion to use the subwoofer output of the 950. It would be best if each device, the subwoofer and the tactile transducer, each had a power amp of their own. And someone to appreciate them.

So there!

Paul

------------------
the 1derful1

Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts