Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2512 - 07/19/02 12:04 PM Humm in system
clombardi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: San Diego
I have heard a very bothersome humm in my system coming from my speakers and sub. It is driving me up the wall. Since I'm a system rookie, I need help. Do I need to get a new reciever? How can I fix....help!

#2513 - 07/19/02 12:17 PM Re: Humm in system
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
First thing, try disconnecting your CATV line. If that fixes it, you've got a ground loop problem. A ground loop isolator in the line between the CATV and your system will fix it.

If that isn't it, then try disconnecting random things until it goes away. In particular, if you have different components connected to separate outlets that may be grounded differently, you can also have a problem there.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#2514 - 07/19/02 12:38 PM Re: Humm in system
clombardi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Here is more info....
I have a JVC 534V Receiver (I know cheap) with a JVC XL F154 CD player. I have two Corwin Vega (5A-150) rear speakers, a Corwin Vega (CC-250) center speaker, a Klipsch (KSW 100)Sub and two Klipsch (KG2 FB) floor speakers..

I just bought a Hitachi 61SWX12B (61" TV) with built in:Audio
MTS Stereo/SAP with dbxTM
Dolby Digital® 5.1/Dolby ProLogic® Surround Sound
60 Watt, 2-Way Bass Reflex Speaker System
Dual Center Channel Speakers
3 Listening Modes (Std., Night, Max.)
5-Band Graphic EQ
Dynamic Bass
Perfect Volume (Auto Volume Level Control)
Loudness
Automatic Noise Cancellation

And I just bought a set of Paradign 9SE's to replace the Klipsch floor speakers...What else should I do to make this a sound system that fits a 61" TV but at a reasonable cost. Remember I am component challenged.

#2515 - 07/19/02 03:08 PM Re: Humm in system
EFSIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate, New York
Strictly for your consideration....
It sounds like you're off to a great start !!!
Consider a Paradigm center channel speaker to match your fronts.
An upgrade to the receiver could be in order...depends on how it sounds TO YOU with the Paradigms.
You could put the Klipsch in the rear as surrounds, depending on how they sound vs. the CV.
Don't rule out replacing the sub...I recommend an SVS. I love Klipsch (I own them) but I believe that other companies do a better job with subwoofers.
A 61" T.V. does require alot of sound to make it "real" !!!

#2516 - 07/21/02 01:29 AM Re: Humm in system
clombardi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll stick with the sub for now. You think I should move the two Klipsch (KG2 FB) to be used as rear speakers instead of the CV's? One problem with the Klipsch is their size. They are around 12x24 where the CV's are about 5x12's. What do you think?

[This message has been edited by clombardi (edited July 22, 2002).]

#2517 - 07/21/02 11:04 AM Re: Humm in system
Hullguy Offline
Desperado

Loc: South Weymouth, MA USA
I keep reading about these problems with ground loops on the CATV system. When the cable comes into the house it is suppsed to be bonded to the same grounding system as the electrical power coming into the house. This is usualy done with a connection between the cable and the water pipe. This should eliminate a lot of the problems with ground loops!

#2518 - 07/21/02 10:16 PM Re: Humm in system
EFSIII Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Upstate, New York
clombardi,
All that matters is that it sounds good TO YOU.
I know that a 61" screen needs alot of sound so that the sound and picture "balance" each other.
I'm not familiar with the pair of CV's that you have. I know they're well thought of in many circles.
I threw out a couple of suggestions that you could try, that would incorporate much of the equipment that you currently have. (We componently challenged people have to stick together)
I'm very familiar with Klipsch and, due to their sensitivity, frequency response, wide soundstage, and detail, I could picture them being used as surrounds. Maybe the CV's blow them away...that's up to you.
I do highly recommend, however, that you save up for a matching center channel for those new Paradigm 9se's !!
Keep the sub...you can't go wrong with the KSW !!!

#2519 - 07/22/02 02:36 PM Re: Humm in system
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
Hullguy: the key word in what you said is "should." In my case, I live in an apartment complex and have no control over how the CATV line is grounded. Even for those who live in a house, the CATV guys have often been known to get it dead wrong and if your alternative is to call them back out to your house or to install a ground loop isolator, many people will take the easy way out.

------------------
Matthew J. Hill
matt@idsi.net

#2520 - 07/22/02 02:59 PM Re: Humm in system
clombardi Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for all the help EFSIII

Who's Online
0 registered (), 73 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts