Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25106 - 01/23/04 06:17 PM Remote: Of Punch Through and Plasmas
kalispar Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Maine, USA
Hi Outlaws!

New owner, new Outlaw, and this is my first post!

I have had my 950/7100 combo for about two weeks now, and I'm lovin' it!

I do have a small problem with the remote, however: Volume punch through. I thought I had it working for a time, but now when the remote is set to control the cable I can only control the volume for the cable box (which I do not want to do). Same if I switch to TV. It's a minor problem as I can still control the volume by switching to AUD, but it is getting to be a pain (can't tell you how many time both me and my girlfriend have accidentally changed the input to AUX 2 when we hit the program "Info" button because one of us had switched to AUD to change the volume and had forgot to set it back).

I have tried programing the punch through over and over again (since the same command is used to turn it on as to turn it off) but no luck.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Or should I just contact Outlaw about it?

Plasma: Why is the 950 the ONLY item in my rack that seems bothered by my plasma. I have a 42" Panasonic plasma, which has caused no problem with IR interference since I got it--an it is a consumer model, not commercial. But when the plasma's on I have some trouble controlling the 950: I have to push a button 2 or 3 times sometimes to get a reaction. The 950's remote has no problem controlling the cable box or the DVD with the plasma on, just the 950 itself. And yes, when the screen is off I have no problem at all.

And yes, I know about masking tape but I'm hoping for a better solution to this problem. Also, I thought consumer Pannys were immune to this problem, but maybe not.

Also, hey, I'm probably going to end up getting an MX-500 anyway at some point

#25107 - 01/23/04 07:02 PM Re: Remote: Of Punch Through and Plasmas
Keta Offline
Desperado

Loc: Central VA
Quote:
Also, hey, I'm probably going to end up getting an MX-500 anyway at some point

That's your best answer.

#25108 - 01/23/04 07:38 PM Re: Remote: Of Punch Through and Plasmas
kalispar Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

You may be right, Keta.

Still, I wouldn't mind if the remote that came with the 950 worked the way it should.

And, I know the MX-500 is supposed to have a powerful emitter, but will it solve my plasma problem?

#25109 - 01/24/04 01:41 AM Re: Remote: Of Punch Through and Plasmas
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
You have to enable the volume punch through on each device you want to use it with. I got thrown off by this as well when I first got the 950. To use volume punch through with the cable box and TV, do the following (from p.39 of the manual):

1. Press CBL and MUTE together.
2. Press VOLUME UP.
3. Press AUD.
4. Press TV and MUTE together.
5. Press VOLUME UP.
6. Press AUD.
7. Press DVD and MUTE together.... you get the picture

As for the plasma interference issue, I have no idea.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#25110 - 01/24/04 08:17 AM Re: Remote: Of Punch Through and Plasmas
kalispar Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

D'oh!!!

You know, I believe I misinterpreted the instructions in the manual--and I read it 20 times over. It says: "Press the Source button of the device you wish to program for volume control Punch Through." In my mind I'm thinking the device I wish to program is the 950. But what you're saying, Gonk (and this makes sense . . . now it does, anyway ) is that the device I want to program is the device I DON'T want to control the volume for--the one I want to "punch through"

It's all becoming clear now. I'll try it the right way and see if it works

Thanks!

#25111 - 01/24/04 09:15 AM Re: Remote: Of Punch Through and Plasmas
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
That's exactly the way I read it originally, and it took a while for me to figure out why it wouldn't work. You should be on track now. Enjoy!

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#25112 - 01/24/04 09:28 AM Re: Remote: Of Punch Through and Plasmas
kalispar Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Yup, that did it! Once I got the "wrong thinking" out of my head it all fell into place

Thanks, Gonk!

As for the plasma problem, it is strange. I have had the screen for about 6 months and have never had any problems with remotes before. I notice the 950 has a large IR sensor. Maybe it's just more sensitive to interference than most equipment.

It's not too, too bad. I mean, I can control the 950 when the plasma is on, it's just a bit iffy sometimes.

Has anyone else had any problems with a consumer model plasma and the 950's remote?

I may just have to experiment a bit, but I don't want to put masking tape on my 950! Which, by the way, I don't think is ugly at all.

#25113 - 01/24/04 07:39 PM Re: Remote: Of Punch Through and Plasmas
durtydawg Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: n dartmouth, ma, us
yep, i have the same prob with my hitachi 42. sometimes i have to hit (on the 950)volume 2 or 3 times, sometimes while i'm adjusting it it just stops- it pretty much reacts when it wants! LoL!

i haven't used it without the tv on yet. i'll have to check that out soon. and it just dawned on me to try hiding the other remotes from the 950's view when i'm watching movies.

#25114 - 02/18/04 11:44 PM Re: Remote: Of Punch Through and Plasmas
mcochris Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Orlando FL
I have the same remote problem with my 1050 and Panasonic 50" plasma. What's the masking tape trick?

#25115 - 02/19/04 10:51 AM Re: Remote: Of Punch Through and Plasmas
grundrc Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Montgomery, TX
kalispar,
I ended up getting the MX-500 and haven't looked back. It's a breeze to program and works great. Punch throughs are no problem.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts