Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25089 - 01/18/04 02:02 PM Component switching woes
zogS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: hermosa beach, ca 90254
Motorola DCT HD cable box component switching w/ 950

Hi, I just recently got a Motorola DCT Hi-Def cable box from Adelphia. It has component outputs which I'd like to used with my 950. As far as I know, I have 2 options for connecting components, according to page 19 of the manual: DVD (which my DVD player is connected to), and VIDEO 1 (which I've connected my cable box to).

However...

I've been trying to program my 950 remote to control my cable box. I noticed that the remote says V1 button says "Sat" , and V3 button says "Cable". Seeing as I've plugged my cable box into the component inputs at V1, i'd like to use that button instead (but it won't let me). The V3 input on the back of the 950 is, of course, a composite input, and I'm going for quality.

•Does anyone have any suggestions regarding simply routing my (very common) Motorola Box and being able to control it with my 950 remote?

•Also, i've noticed that the cable menu does not seem to work in this component mode. any ideas?

•Am I not able to switch between my DVD (480p) and my Cable Box (1080i) with the outlaw? it doesn't seem to work, i still have them both plugged directly into the back of the TV.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
Watching any tv smaller
than 61" is like being at
work...

#25090 - 01/18/04 08:32 PM Re: Component switching woes
Garrett Adams Offline
Gunslinger

You didn't mention which Motorola box you have. I use a 950 with a Motorola DCT5100.

If you want to watch HD you have to use the Video 1 component input. Forget "Sat", just remember that V1 is cable TV. Of course I use an MX-500 remote so I can label my devices correctly.

I have my box connected three ways: component for HD only, S-Video, and RF hookup on TV. I find my Comcast cable analog stations look slightly better through the RF feed than either component or S-Video. Buttons on my remote have been programed to allow switching between the three.

When using component on the HD channels the menu displays. Menu's will not display through on the RF input on the HD channels. That's a non-issue for me since I want to use component for HD since that's the only way HD works on this box.

#25091 - 01/19/04 11:50 AM Re: Component switching woes
zogS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks so much for the response. However, that's exactly what I'm trying to do...use the 'sat' (V1) button on the outlaw remote (which i actually don't mind at all) to control the cable box (which is plugged into, obviously, the V1 component input).

The remote doesn't seem to let me program this in. It has a list of 3 digit SAT codes in the manual, and a list of 3 digit CABLE codes in the manual. Some of which are the same number. For example, 007 is a Jerrold CABLE box, while 007 is also an Alphastar SAT box. The remote lets me program V3 for cable box just fine, but the same code (006) inputted to the V1 button doesn't seem to do anything. Am I to assume this is a limitation built into the remote that prevents it from activating the A/V device?

I guess when Outlaw provided that remote it never imagined that someone might have a CABLE box with component outputs, instead of satellite TV?

thanks again

#25092 - 01/19/04 11:52 AM Re: Component switching woes
zogS Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

correction...

"...activating the WRONG A/V device?"

#25093 - 01/19/04 12:07 PM Re: Component switching woes
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The problem is that certain device buttons are set to use codes for only certain types of devices. It's actually very common for code-based universal remotes. By default, the "SAT" button will only expect to see satellite receiver codes. You need to re-direct that button to a different portion of the code library. I don't know if it's covered in the 950's manual, but the SL-9000 manual addresses it on page 33. Here's the trick:

[*]Turn on the cable box.
    [*]On the remote, press "SAT" and "MUTE" at the same time to program the SAT device.
    [*]Press the device button for the device to be programmed (the "CBL" button).
    [*]Enter the set-up code for the cable box.
    [*]If that code works (the cable box will turn off if it does), press "SAT" to store it. If it doesn't, try a different code.

Step 3 is probably the only step that you didn't already have.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

[This message has been edited by gonk (edited January 19, 2004).]

#25094 - 01/19/04 12:24 PM Re: Component switching woes
Oil Can Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Shelbyville, KY, USA
If you are “going for quality”. Why don’t you plug the component output of the HD cable box directly into the display. That’s how I have mine, and it works fine. I have my DVD player’s component output plugged directly into the display too. The cable box s-video output is going to the 950, and the 950’s monitor output is connected to the display with an s-video cable, but the only thing in the loop is an S-VHS VCR. The s-video connection is more than adequate for S-VHS. Now when Comcast gets off their collective butts, and enables the DVI connection I will change to that rather than the component video connection. The other reason I have an s-video connection between the display, and the 950 is for the 950’s on screen menu.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hedoboy, naowro, BeBop, workarounder, robpar
8705 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
patm1198 1
Helson 1
Forum Stats
8,705 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,326 Topics
98,691 Posts