Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#25027 - 01/09/04 12:48 PM Which DAC to use?
boardinutah Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I've just received my 950, and would like opinions regarding my CD setup.

I have a Parasound C/DC-1500, which has a hybrid 1 bit/18 bit ladder DAC (incorporates Burr-Brown PCM67U DAC).

Should I use the Parasound DAC, analog inputs, and set to bypass, or should I use a digital link and utilize the 950s DAC?

I guess I'm wondering which DAC is better.

#25028 - 01/09/04 02:09 PM Re: Which DAC to use?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My advise isn't exactly a straightforward answer, but it is my standard answer to this common (and very good) question. Connect the Parasound both ways and let your ear decide. Hook the Parasound's analog outputs to the 950's analog "CD" inputs, hook the Parasound's digital output (coaxial in the case of the CDC-1500), and set the 950's CD input to use the coaxial digital audio input you used. By having both connected and the digital input selected, you can compare the two by turning "stereo bypass" on and off -- when turned on, the 950 will use the CD analog inputs. The 950's DACs are pretty respectable, so the comparison is worth doing.

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#25029 - 01/09/04 03:05 PM Re: Which DAC to use?
boblinds Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Los Angeles
As usual, Gonk has the best answer.

In my case, I prefer the analog output from my Sony DVD player for two-channel CD listening, while I prefer the DAC's (and surround processing) in the 950 for movie soundtracks.

But per Gonk, connecting both ways and having the option is the optimum solution.

#25030 - 01/09/04 03:30 PM Re: Which DAC to use?
boardinutah Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try the suggestion. The reason I asked is since the Parasound is older (1996), I was wondering if the newer DAC would be "better".

#25031 - 01/09/04 03:36 PM Re: Which DAC to use?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's entirely possible that the 950's DAC will sound better (that was my experience with a Yamaha CD changer, at least to my ear), but Burr-Brown's DACs have been very well regarded for a long time. Either way, it can be sort of fun deciding which you prefer -- certainly not a bad problem to have. Enjoy your 950!

------------------
gonk -- Saloon Links | Pre/Pro Comparison Chart | 950 Review

#25032 - 01/11/04 01:25 AM Re: Which DAC to use?
tvd51 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
I usually use "bypass" when listening to 2-channel music with my Denon 2900. Some other times, I use MC from 950 just for a change. I hooked them up in both ways as gonk suggested.
tvd51

#25033 - 01/14/04 03:05 AM Re: Which DAC to use?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
I have been curious about the DAC dilema myself for a while. Now I'm no expert, and my sources aren't that great, but I had to put them to the test anyway. Especially after reading Gonk's great method for comparison.

I have an older Onkyo changer I use for casual listening and parties and a Denon DVD900 for movies and more serious listening (which I don't don't get to do all that often).

Obviously the Onkyo's DAC's lost out to the Outlaw pretty quickly. The Denon was a little harder to judge. After several rounds of cuts from Norah Jones and SRV(Texas Flood-of course) the Outlaw takes it.

I was at first a little confused with the Denon. It seemed to be a little more 'present' but was also more smeared and less defined. I don't know if it has a little db boost or what (again, not a great deal of expertise) but the Outlaw's DAC's had other things going for it.

Imaging was much more defined, from top to bottom. Instruments took on their own space and presented themselves. Detail. Mucho Detail.

Now keep in mind I'm on my fourth unit since last June. I have every reason to not like this thing, and have come very close to pitching it. I have always belived that it sounds great when it is working and this latest unit seems to be holding out.

I have recnetly auditioned much better speaks (than my current Infinity IL30's) and think the outlaw will perform even better at higher speaker latitudes.

Despite my problems (which are archived throughout this forum) consider this a leathered testimonial. I will continue to push on. Thanks to Gonk for the DAC test, and multitudes of other great info.

#25034 - 01/14/04 11:57 AM Re: Which DAC to use?
curegeorg Offline
Desperado

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
seems like that the 950s would be better than your player.

#25035 - 01/14/04 04:24 PM Re: Which DAC to use?
jgubman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Mateo, CA
I'd be surprised if the DACs in the Outlaw outperform the excellent audio stage in the Denon DVD-9000. I hvae the 9000's little brother the DVD-3800 and it's quite a bit better than the Outlaw's DACs (of course the dvd player cost more than the 950 itself...).

One thing I had to do to get the Denon sounding good was set up that switch on the front to turn off the video circuitry in the second position. If I switch from a mode that has video/display stuff on, the Denon's noise floor raises to an almost unacceptable level w/ the analog outs.

I do, however, listen to 2-channel mostly via my older Yamaha 5-disc changer (what can I say, I'm lazy...) and I find the DACs in the Outlaw to be just as good as the Yamaha's. In fact, I can't really tell any difference btwn digital out and analog bypass via the Yamaha (other than gain).

#25036 - 01/14/04 09:12 PM Re: Which DAC to use?
aej09 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Madison, WI, US
I wish I had the 9000. I own the 900. Now replaced with the 910 I think.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 123 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 1
zuter 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts