Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#2494 - 07/13/02 12:31 PM 1050 display - undocumented feature?
John Di Lauro Offline
Gunslinger

This morning I was listening to an audio CD with my DVD player which is connected to one of the optical inputs. When I ejected the disc, "PCM 96KHZ" appeared on the 1050's display.

This surprised me for a couple of reasons. First, it's either the first time it's happened or the first time I noticed. I usually listen to audio CDs thru a dedicated CD player, but have used the DVD player in the past.

Secondly, my DVD player is not supposed to be able to output 96 KHz PCM, only 48. Besides, aren't audio CDs sampled at 44.1?

Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

#2495 - 07/23/02 07:07 PM Re: 1050 display - undocumented feature?
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
Hey there John,

What disc were you using and what DVD player do you have hooked up to your 1050? Since you mention that it only popped up into 96KHz PCM while you were ejecting a disc, it may have just been a misread signal from your player, not necessarily sensing an actual 96Khz signal.

-Jeremy

#2496 - 07/24/02 09:04 PM Re: 1050 display - undocumented feature?
John Di Lauro Offline
Gunslinger

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the response. The DVD player is a JVC XVS40. I don't exactly recall the CD but it might have been Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue".

Since that day I haven't been able to repeat this. I've checked the manual but nowhere can I find a reference to the 1050's display having this feature. Have you ever experienced this?

John

#2497 - 07/25/02 03:36 AM Re: 1050 display - undocumented feature?
synthfreek Offline
Gunslinger

John, you're not alone. We had a post at one time where a board member was looking for DVDs(not CDs) that were encoded at 96Khz. The only one I know of that I own is the movie Chronos. If you've ever heard of the film Baraka it's by the same director(Ron Fricke). It's weird watching that movie(it's actually a fantastic stop-motion photography visual delight and comes highly recommended) because it's the only time I see that on the display.

------------------

#2498 - 07/25/02 01:02 PM Re: 1050 display - undocumented feature?
Jeremy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: San Jose, CA, U.S.
I have kept up on each new edition of the book DVD Demystified by Jim Taylor for it's invaluable information on ALL of the in's and out's of DVD for the past few years, and an excellent supplimental disc is included with each edition. Admitedly, you have to be either in the industry or get turned on by technical specifications of DVD to understand and appreciate most of what is presented in these books, and at $50 each they're more like a college text book, but the basic information given about the format is IMHO invaluable. The disc that came with the newest edition (2nd edition to be exact) has a great many technical tests, Dolby-DTS-THX trailers, and lots of other useful content. One of these features is an audio comparison using multiple audio formats, including a 24/96kHz test. Other than recently encoded DVD-Audio discs that have 24/96 DTS options, and a few other DVD-Video discs, this is the only 24/96 demonstration that I have been able to check out on my system, and it is pretty cool.

#2499 - 07/25/02 05:49 PM Re: 1050 display - undocumented feature?
John Di Lauro Offline
Gunslinger

Synthfreak & Jeremy,

Thanks for the info and the movie recommendation. Another one I am aware of with a 96KHz soundtrack is the "Se7en" DVD.

My question wasn't clearly stated. I was more interested in finding out if others have experienced this feature of the 1050. It's bugging me because I haven't been able to replicate it since. If this is a feature,
does the display also show other bitstream types such as DTS or DD? I thought the display was limited to the small red arrowheads as far as showing data type.

Thanks for the help.

John

#2500 - 07/26/02 07:06 PM Re: 1050 display - undocumented feature?
eric l Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: ca
I have some 'DADs' which are dvd-v music only discs. They are 24/96 discs. I have my pioneer dvd player (which passes 24/96) hooked via digital spdif to the outlaw. when i play these discs, as soon as they are read by the outlaw the readout flashes '96k' and then i feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It sounds really good too. I think the fact that yours did it in that particular circumstance is an anomaly/bug of some sort.

you can get these discs at classicrecords.com and other places, although the selection ain't great.

-eric

#2501 - 07/31/02 05:42 PM Re: 1050 display - undocumented feature?
John Di Lauro Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Eric. I think you are right, it was probably some quirk. That would explain why I have not seen it since.

Is 96 PCM the only bitstream type where the 1050 spells it out on the display?

BTW, I checked out that website. Looks pretty cool, but as you said, the selection is pretty limited. Is the sound head and shoulders above a standard Redbook CD?

John

#2502 - 08/14/02 08:35 PM Re: 1050 display - undocumented feature?
eric l Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: ca
sorry about the late reply, its been a while since i've been on this board. your questions:

Is 96 PCM the only bitstream type where the 1050 spells it out on the display?

i think so.

BTW, I checked out that website. Looks pretty cool, but as you said, the selection is pretty limited. Is the sound head and shoulders above a standard Redbook CD?

They're pretty good. its hard for me to exlpain the difference. they do sound better- a little smoother, crisper, but not necessarily head and shoulders above. If there's something you'd really like to hear thats available on DAD, then try it. IF not, don't get something just to check out the technology.

-eric

Who's Online
0 registered (), 116 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
zuter 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts